Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 08:00 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times

Advertisements

I like a good Tuna sandwich as much as anyone, and even a nice hunk of fresh tuna grilled buit this is just sick:

BBC News - Japan bluefin tuna fetches record $1.7m
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 08:16 AM

709 posts, read 955,479 times
Sick? Really?

Old 01-05-2013, 09:27 AM

782 posts, read 1,105,999 times
Crazy? Sure. But sick? I don't see that. We aren't talking about a 2 pound fish from your grocery store, this is a 500 pound prime grade fish, in a climate with warnings about stock levels; not to mention that much of this kind of purchase is admitted to be a publicity thing.

And you also leave out some of the best forms of tuna - sashimi, sushi, sushi roll, tuna tartare ...

Old 01-05-2013, 09:38 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
It's great marketing pure and simple. Look at all the world wide publicity that Business owner is getting on top of a prized super premium sushi quality tuna. The 1.7million is cheap cosidering all that.

Old 01-06-2013, 12:45 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
He will actually wind up selling portions to customers for 1/100 what he paid for it. It is wholly and completely a PR stunt.

And look, it worked!

Old 01-06-2013, 01:10 AM

4,534 posts, read 4,931,272 times
Stupid. There's a reason why Bluefin Tuna is fetching those prices, it's because they are becoming exceedingly rare. The bluefin tuna will soon become extinct because of the stupidity of diners that show absolutely no regard for mother nature and will demand to eat an animal into extinction.

Tuna is one species of fish that simply can not be farmed. Even "farmed" tuna actually isn't farmed, but rather caught while it is young and then killed. Farmed tuna still depletes the natural stock of fish. At the rate diners in Japan are consuming and demanding bluefin tuna, it will become extinct in our lifetimes. Just another example of stupidity destroying our oceans--oceans which provide the majority of our oxygen that we need to breathe.

Countries that consume things like sharfin soup and bluefin tuna, as well as countries that do nothing to prevent their citizens from over fishing species from which those ingredients come from should face sanctions or tariffs on their goods that come into our country.

Old 01-06-2013, 06:18 AM

709 posts, read 955,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Stupid. There's a reason why Bluefin Tuna is fetching those prices, it's because they are becoming exceedingly rare. The bluefin tuna will soon become extinct because of the stupidity of diners that show absolutely no regard for mother nature and will demand to eat an animal into extinction.

Tuna is one species of fish that simply can not be farmed. Even "farmed" tuna actually isn't farmed, but rather caught while it is young and then killed. Farmed tuna still depletes the natural stock of fish. At the rate diners in Japan are consuming and demanding bluefin tuna, it will become extinct in our lifetimes. Just another example of stupidity destroying our oceans--oceans which provide the majority of our oxygen that we need to breathe.

Countries that consume things like sharfin soup and bluefin tuna, as well as countries that do nothing to prevent their citizens from over fishing species from which those ingredients come from should face sanctions or tariffs on their goods that come into our country.
Thanks for letting me know! Better get me some now, before it is all gone. Would hate to say I never had it when I could have.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:09 PM

32,655 posts, read 48,053,996 times
That tuna will not end up in a can for 59 cents. It will be sold in tiny slivers for several dollars per sliver in a very fancy sushi restaurant where businessmen take clients to impress them.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:36 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,835,178 times
Toro -fatty tuna - hailed as a delicacy - used to be called something else: Cat food.
Of Sushi and Cat Food | Sushi Otaku

Old 01-09-2013, 12:46 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,225,324 times
The first time I went tuna fishing, (which is great fun!), I had wondered what I would do if I caught one. I was already on the boat when I found out there would be people on the dock waiting to buy it, if I was lucky enough to catch one and bring it in. I would have fainted if it fetched 1/4 of that amount.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink