Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 08:03 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,974,968 times

Advertisements

Why beef is losing its flavor - - MSN Money

Guess what, folks? A drug made by Merck to treat asthma has been found to make cattle bulk up with heavier muscle and less fat, making more money for the factory rancher. The problem is, the taste is more bland. This is used by the major suppliers to supermarkets and has been going on since 2011.

Zilmax lets a feedlot owner get more meat from the cow without having to give it any additional food and water. Leonard reported that the drug could add 33 pounds of extra meat to a cow, making the animal about $30 more valuable.

What was that slogan, 'Better living through chemistry'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 08:11 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
lets just change "food and drink" threads to beef sucks,,,,, thread...

lets get it all out once and for all..i'll even join the chorus....guess what folks?? eventually you will die,,if you eat meat,,,

to the op....anyone with a lick of knowledge on beef,,knows the leaner the animal, the less flavor it is,,you need the marbling (fat) for flavor..

there are always choices,,on prime and choice beef-plenty of marbling.. and flavor,,that will not go away
beef is graded on lean-ness

my god, there is so much misinformation sprayed around..

Last edited by Beretta; 02-17-2013 at 08:34 PM..

Old 02-16-2013, 10:37 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Sorry, but that is a crock of Hooey.

Old 02-16-2013, 10:40 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,873,001 times
I know when I buy beef from a local meat market, it tastes better and is more tender than the beef I buy from a supermarket chain.

Old 02-16-2013, 10:54 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
As far as the marbling being required for flavor, I am extremely fond of grass fed beef because it has, guess what, FLAVOR that corn fed doesn't. This even with being leaner.

I first discovered this entirely by accident almost 40 years ago when a little market near us accidentally got some grass fed beef in and, because of the idea (long story about where it came from involving horses, corn, the internal combustion engine, farmers who grew corn for horses, and the USDA) that well marbled (corn fed) beef is somehow superior, it was on sale, so I bought some not knowing what I had. (Sort of a blind taste test, if you will.) Took it home, cooked it, marveled at the idea that beef actually had so much flavor, and went back to get some more but it was all gone. Took over two decades for me to find more, and I had to drive two hours one way to pick it up, but I did it. Had to be marginally more skilled in cooking it, but only marginally.

It's sort of like the difference between eggs from free range hens and caged hens. One has deep orange yolks and much better flavor; the other has lighter yolks and less flavor. (When my daughter, at 17, moved into her own apartment, after a couple of weeks and a shopping trip on her own, she called me to see if I'd bring her some "real eggs" because she'd discovered what was available in the supermarket didn't come close.);

I find it interesting that some say that grass fed isn't as good because it's leaner and all the flavor comes from marbling, while at the same time there's complaints because it has TOO MUCH flavor compared to supermarket (corn fed) beef. Can't have it both ways, folks.

And, yes, I know, all cattle are basically raised on grass, and finished either on grass or corn. But the finishing greatly impacts the flavor. Just to get that out of the way.

Old 02-16-2013, 10:57 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Most people wouldn't like the natural unadulterated flavor of real meat beef.

Old 02-16-2013, 11:08 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Most people wouldn't like the natural unadulterated flavor of real meat beef.
Most people haven't tasted it, so how would we (or they) know?

Old 02-16-2013, 11:15 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Most people haven't tasted it, so how would we (or they) know?
Go away logic troll.

Based on my own personal anecdotes over the last 40+ years. It's the internets didn't you know everything is true or you can't post it. BTW I'm a French male model.

Old 02-16-2013, 04:49 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
All our food sucks.

Go to another country and have a piece of fruit or veg.
You will be like, "WTF?!!!!"

Old 02-16-2013, 08:23 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,377,574 times
I've always finished my own cattle with Canadian barley, a cool, clean grain with almost no flavour (flavor) of its' own.
The USA big boys use corn. Not only is it a greasy, strong flavoured (flavoured) grain, it is able to disguise other procedures used down the food chain after the rancher has sold his feeder cattle.

Some of it is breed genetics but more than half of it is management. Perhaps a lot more.
The "grass fed" movement is really strong here in Alberta and all the way down through Montana, an area blessed with cold enough winters to naturally kill parasites (no Ivermectin) but nice enough to grow fantastic dry grass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink