Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 07:27 AM

1,139 posts, read 3,468,081 times

Advertisements

Link: Horsemeat scandal: the essential guide | UK news | The Guardian

Wow. If this has been going on in Europe for years, I wonder how contaminated the food supply is in the US consider how lax our inspection and enforcement and testing is!

What's scary is - legally a beefburger may contain as little as 47% beef meaning the other 53% can be anything..isn't that scary not know what you are putting into your mouth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 08:17 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,494,501 times
horse meat is eaten all over europe. they even have babyfood jars of horse meat. its a delicacy and more expensive than other meats.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:30 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
horse meat is eaten all over europe. they even have babyfood jars of horse meat. its a delicacy and more expensive than other meats.
to me the issue isn't whether it is horsemeat or not, yes, it is eaten all over, just like cat, but the problem is the mis-labeling. That is fraud: there is no other way to put it..

Old 02-17-2013, 12:09 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,837,011 times
I ate it in Japan. Raw. Tasted like steak.

Wanna read something that will blow your mind? It's disgusting.
Tainted seafood reaching U.S., experts say - Health - Food safety | NBC News

Local seafood, or no seafood. Those are my choices.

Flood of food imported, just 2 percent inspected - Health - Food safety | NBC News

Old 02-17-2013, 10:31 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,447,082 times
Funny thing is, there's an uptick of horsemeat sales in England due to the scandal. Lots of people buying it out of curiosity, apparently.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:52 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,633,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Funny thing is, there's an uptick of horsemeat sales in England due to the scandal. Lots of people buying it out of curiosity, apparently.
I wonder where. The only place I have ever seen it for sale in the UK is a restaurant in Edinburgh. Horse meat is really delicious but finding it in the UK is virtually impossible. The restaurant in the Edinburgh imports it from the South of France from a very specific producer so provenance is assured , as is quality and the quantities sold are tiny. I think that farmer slaughters three animals a month from memory.

I am sure you can get Horsemeat some places but I have never come across them in 25 years here in the UK. Even in France it is becoming rarer and rarer and the "Boucheries Chevalines" ( specifically Horse Butchers) are a dying breed. Same in the rest of the continent in my experience. I think it is too expensive for most people as good quality well sourced Horse meat is quite a luxury. I was brought up eating horse and it is some of the most delicious meat I have ever tasted. Tender, almost sweet in flavour and perfect for things like "Steak Tartare" for example.

The problem is the murkiness of the meat trade which seems to import really terrible meat presumably bred , transported and slaughtered in the most appalling of conditions and sold as "filler" for so called "value" products like ready meals and cheap "beef" products. I get the feeling quite a lot of fraud and criminal activities can be linked to this disgusting trade. Labelling and transparency is the issue here.

Consumers demand meat in large quantities at ridiculous unsustainable prices and companies decide to cut corners, increase profits and either substitute inferior meat or all kinds of fillers or meat by products.

When something like beef is so cheap I must admit as a consumer I already have serious warning bells ringing.... If it sounds too good to be true it almost certainly is.

Old 02-18-2013, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
to me the issue isn't whether it is horsemeat or not, yes, it is eaten all over, just like cat, but the problem is the mis-labeling. That is fraud: there is no other way to put it..
they are not mislabled. there is a horse figure right on the jar. why would they hide a meat that costs more than beef and give it to you for "free"? do you understand what i mean? i have family in Italy and one works at a cafe that serves horse meat and it says it right on the menu. now if you tell me that people are serving beef and calling it horse, then that would be a problem.

Old 02-18-2013, 04:54 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,447,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampaite View Post
What's scary is - legally a beefburger may contain as little as 47% beef meaning the other 53% can be anything..
But that refers to the UK, not the US.

In the US every ingredient must be listed on the label.

There can be no non-beef meat nor extenders or fillers in any product labeled Ground Chuck, Ground Round, Ground Sirloin, Ground Beef, Hamburger, Pure Beef Patties, or Pure Beef Patty Mix.

Fillers such as textured soy protein may be added to only to the bottom two categories, and must be so labeled: Beef Patties or Beef Patty Mix.

Everything you want to know on the subject, and more can be found in http://www.beeffoodservice.com/CMDoc...GroundBeef.pdf

Old 02-20-2013, 09:44 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
they are not mislabled. there is a horse figure right on the jar. why would they hide a meat that costs more than beef and give it to you for "free"? do you understand what i mean? i have family in Italy and one works at a cafe that serves horse meat and it says it right on the menu. now if you tell me that people are serving beef and calling it horse, then that would be a problem.
Maybe in some cases, but according to reports, and that is all I have or any of us have to go on, the meat, is labeled 100% beef, I guess some people consider horsemeat beef, is that what you are saying? I believe we are talking about UK, not other countries. As I said, if people want to eat horsemeat that is their choice and it might be everybit as good or better, I just don't go for the false advertising...

Old 02-20-2013, 03:12 PM

^^^
no i dont consider horse meat beef. i didnt realize they said it was!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink