Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 02:57 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,865,579 times

Advertisements

This may be for folks over 50...do you remember your favorite foods in your youth? What your mom fixed, your favorite "fast food"?

I remember my grandmother making cabbage UGH, and drinking buttermilk from a saucer. My mom making tuna casserole, a lot. Dad grilling T-Bone steaks on the grill with plenty of lighter fluid, every Sunday.

I also remember Chicken Delight (Don't cook tonight, call Chicken Delight), who would deliver in a plate, fried chicken, a blue berry muffin, and potatoes. Eating Saturday's at Bob's Big Boy, and Sunday morning pancakes at Sambo's.

Lunch was either tuna or peanut butter sandwiches. And it didn't matter if they sat all morning in your school locker, you ate them anyway, and Fritos, with a Dr Pepper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 04:39 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,578,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Lunch was either tuna or peanut butter sandwiches. And it didn't matter if they sat all morning in your school locker, you ate them anyway, and Fritos, with a Dr Pepper.
Oh, man, warm lunches from the school locker, pre-insulated bag days! A staple was, of course, PB&J, but also meat sandwiches made from leftovers -- chicken, roast beef, meatloaf... on white bread, with butter! But the sharp cheese sandwiches were a little soft in those lockers!

Sundays my Mom usually made a roast, either beef or pork, and made a good homemade gravy (never canned). And these Sunday dinners were great, but the next day with the leftovers -- yum!! Hot roast beef open-faced sandwiches with that delicious gravy!

My favorite weekend lunch is still one that I eat today -- Campbell's chicken noodle soup with some really good Jewish rye bread from the local deli.

Old 02-27-2013, 04:45 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,866,913 times
Puffa-Puffa Rice and Space Food Sticks - and those "yummy" Incredible Edibles. Large Double Cola in the returnable bottle with cork-lined caps. Yogi Bear's Honey-Fried Chicken.

Old 02-27-2013, 04:55 PM

4,936 posts, read 3,311,281 times
Campbells chicken noodle soup which really tasted good
Planters peanut candy
Just two flavor types of crisps.
Canned spaghetti & meatballs
Sweets from Brach's white minty soft cushion with green peppermint filling
When KFC still tasted really good like proper fried chicken
All food tasted way better back then ...

Old 02-27-2013, 05:05 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,866,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerys52SoSilver View Post
...Just two flavor types of crisps...
And the salt for the crisps came wrapped in a little blue bit of waxed paper.
Remember when Quality Street still included Cracknells - in the red wrapper?

Old 02-27-2013, 05:42 PM

3,399 posts, read 3,089,643 times
Grape-nuts cereal (which I hated!)
Puffed Rice cereal
Chocolate Soldier Drinks (carbonated chocolate drink)
Penny candy
Valomilk candy bars with little cardboard disks with the names of the capital cities (this is how I learned state capitals)
Zagnut candy bars, chuckles candy, beachnut pepsin gum, clove gum, black jack gum
Sauerkraut and polish sausage
cabbage rolls
Knox gelatin - we also took it to strengthen our fingernails
Oleo which was colorless and came with a packet to mix in.
pickled beets with boiled eggs
vienna sausages
pickled pigs feet
deviled ham
fried spam
aspic (jello and cabbage and meat and sometimes eggs) (shudder)
Chocolate Sodas (ice cream, chocolate syrup and carbonated water)
Black Cows (Ice cream with root beer or cola)
Cherry and vanilla cokes made with syrup from a soda fountain
French Fries with melted butter
Slim Jim Sandwiches from Tops Big Boy

Most food from the 1950's and 60's wasn't horrible....just different and not as modern as today. We didn't have a fast food on every corner.

Old 02-27-2013, 05:58 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,985,171 times
TV dinners made me hate peas for life.

Old 02-27-2013, 06:00 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,662,436 times
In the 50s and 60s we didn't have fast food and if it had existed we wouldn't have been allowed to have it.

I liked macaroni and cheese made with gobs of Velveeta cheese. Big glass of cold milk with it.

I hated cauliflower but when my mother started putting a Velveeta cheese sauce over it, that became a favorite. Oh, that Velveeta cheese!!

Old 02-27-2013, 06:05 PM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times

Root beer was my favorite flavor.

Old 02-27-2013, 06:35 PM

21,535 posts, read 8,719,477 times
Bosco chocolate syrup ("I love Bosco/That's the drink for me! Mama puts it in my milk/For extra energy!")
Sonny Boy, a bottled soft drink syrup that came in different fruit flavors.
Fire Stix cinnamon candy
Bonomo Turkish Taffy (They started making it again, you can buy it online.)
Postum cereal beverage (same as above, though it's lots more expensive now.) I used to feel very grown-up drinking a hot mug of Postum with milk and sugar.
Breakfast cereals that are gone but not forgotten: Crispy Critters, Alpha-Bits, Kellogg's OK's, Sugar Jets, Rice Krinkles
Hi-C drink in the big cans
Campbell's Alphabet Soup
Butter Brickle ice cream (once very common, now hard to find)
Pistachio ice cream (same as above)
Big Top peanut butter (it came in a cut-glass jar that could be used as a drinking glass when the jar was empty)
Hot Toddy canned chocolate milk that was served warm at drive-in theaters
Fresh glazed doughnuts, 5 cents apiece from the Helm's Bakery truck
Nehi's grape and orange soda pop
Cheese waffle crackers with the blue cheese filling
Delaware Punch
Reed's root beer and cinnamon candies

Can you tell that I have a sweet tooth?

Last edited by Bayarea4; 02-27-2013 at 07:50 PM.. Reason: to add some more foods that I remember.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink