Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2008, 04:29 PM

2,218 posts, read 3,452,580 times

Advertisements

I hardly ever indulge in mail order buying a great ham, but I have had a taste for a good, smoked bone-in ham. I have not ordered one for eons...probably over 5 years now. I seem to recall one from KY or TN that was out of this world, but for the love of me, I cant recall the vendor.

I know some of you must have a favorite. I am not too worried about the cost....after all, its been 5 years! LOL but I m looking for superb flavor, meat-y ness (sorry, not sure how to say that, you know...lots of meat/bone ratio) and not too fatty.

I like bone-in so I can make soup out of the left overs.

Suggestions? Please??

Best, Kitt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2008, 07:03 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,509,934 times
you can order off their website
Welcome to Phillip Brothers Country Ham

Old 12-08-2009, 08:17 PM

1 posts, read 17,258 times
Smile mail order ham

I think the best mail order ham is obtained from Mahogany Smoked Meats in Bishop, California. The only problem is that the only ship their meat products to California adresses. The next mail order ham I would recommend is the "CITY Ham" from Burger's Smokehouse in Missouri. I am assuming by your descriptions "great ham" and "good, smoked bone-in ham" that you are not looking for a country,dry cured style ham which would mean a whole different list of recommendations. Nails62

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post
I hardly ever indulge in mail order buying a great ham, but I have had a taste for a good, smoked bone-in ham. I have not ordered one for eons...probably over 5 years now. I seem to recall one from KY or TN that was out of this world, but for the love of me, I cant recall the vendor.

I know some of you must have a favorite. I am not too worried about the cost....after all, its been 5 years! LOL but I m looking for superb flavor, meat-y ness (sorry, not sure how to say that, you know...lots of meat/bone ratio) and not too fatty.

Suggestions? Please??

Best, Kitt

Old 12-08-2009, 10:50 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,270,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post

Suggestions? Please??

Best, Kitt
The finest country ham in the country is Smithfield Ham, Produced in Suffolk, VA. It is a traditional ham where the pigs are fed a diet of raw peanuts.

Smithfield Hams | Basse's Choice

Slightly less expensive is a Gwaltney Ham, also made by Smithfield. It is still a very acceptable product.

Do realize that if you make a commitment to a uncooked country ham, it is a lot more complicated than your typical Honeybaked Ham.

Hope that helps.

Old 12-10-2009, 01:32 PM

3,854 posts, read 4,834,708 times
Look at Honeybaked Hams spiral cut.

HoneyBaked Ham® - HoneyBaked Ham, Turkey Breast, Pork, BBQ, Desserts

Old 11-12-2010, 10:20 AM

2,209 posts, read 7,654,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
The finest country ham in the country is Smithfield Ham, Produced in Suffolk, VA. It is a traditional ham where the pigs are fed a diet of raw peanuts.

Smithfield Hams | Basse's Choice

Slightly less expensive is a Gwaltney Ham, also made by Smithfield. It is still a very acceptable product.

Do realize that if you make a commitment to a uncooked country ham, it is a lot more complicated than your typical Honeybaked Ham.

Hope that helps.

I used to think Smithfield was a great ham just like Purdue was a great chicken. Now purdue sucks like the rest of them and I bought my last smithfield a month ago. Beautiful layer of fat around it yet it came out as tough as leather. Bye bye smithfield.

It seems like it's all gone generic in this country unless you hit specialty stores.

We'll prolly just buy whatever at Winn Dixie this year

Last edited by MrTudo; 11-12-2010 at 10:29 AM..

Old 11-12-2010, 10:45 AM

1,036 posts, read 2,834,444 times
Hands down, this website right here:

https://bentonshams.com/order/index.php

There's nothing better than a TN Ham.

Courtney

Edit: Also, please do yourself a favor & order some Benton's Bacon.

Last edited by bluesky42day; 11-12-2010 at 10:55 AM..

Old 12-14-2011, 10:04 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,597,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTudo View Post
I used to think Smithfield was a great ham just like Purdue was a great chicken. Now purdue sucks like the rest of them and I bought my last smithfield a month ago. Beautiful layer of fat around it yet it came out as tough as leather. Bye bye smithfield.
The last two years I've bought whole Smithfield hams at Walmart. These are far superior to the half hams that Smithfield produces. The ham I bought last year may be the best ham I've ever tasted. This year's ham was excellent; it was tender and juicy.

I do bake these covered with foil and have 1/2" or so of water in the bottom of the pan. I've been tempted to replace the water with Coca Cola, Seven Up, Dr. Pepper, or even Dr. Pepper Barbecue Sauce mixed with rhe water. I just don't wish to mess up a good ham.

Old 04-02-2013, 04:00 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,423,007 times
Best deal for online smoked whole ham is through Costco. You can get the whole ham for under $50, and that includes shipping.

Johnston County Hams Whole Bone-in Prosciutto Style Country Ham

Old 04-03-2013, 04:08 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,761,670 times
Tripp Country Hams, Old Fashion Award Winning Tennessee Country Ham since 1962

Tripp Country Hams in Brownsville, TN. This place is the real deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink