Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 07:10 AM

238 posts, read 1,144,239 times

Advertisements

A new restaurant opened up in town and everyone was talking about it. So after much discussion my wife and I decided to try it. A three course meal costs about $80. The servings were small, food tasty but service was snotty and slow. I must have waited for 45 minutes for my main course. When I complained they said good food takes time.

I left feeling cheated and wondered why anyone goes to a fancy restaurant unless their company is paying for the food as part of an expense account. How do you feel about eating at fancy expensive French restaurants?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2007, 07:29 AM

265 posts, read 664,879 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtype View Post
A new restaurant opened up in town and everyone was talking about it. So after much discussion my wife and I decided to try it. A three course meal costs about $80. The servings were small, food tasty but service was snotty and slow. I must have waited for 45 minutes for my main course. When I complained they said good food takes time.

I left feeling cheated and wondered why anyone goes to a fancy restaurant unless their company is paying for the food as part of an expense account. How do you feel about eating at fancy expensive French restaurants
It's new, everyone is talking bc they like to try new things.
But if they are still talking about it, in a positive way, after a few months of expensive small portions and snotty slow service; it'll mean one of two things: one~there's no where else to eat in town...really or
two~they've improved greatly
Otherwise, I predict they'll be gone before the year is up

Old 10-31-2007, 07:54 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,621,508 times
It depends on the restaurant ! I am a bit of a foodie and sometimes I love just splashing out on some really special food.

Some restaurants have disappointed me ( always made worse if the price tag was high!) but some have been worth every penny/cent.

I think fancy restaurants have a place. I love eating out and have had some fantastic meals at really cheap and medium price places but I have also had some of the best food in my life at really "posh" places.

I find posh restaurants more innovative and the use of expensive ingredients is sometimes exactly what is called for too.
A posh place does not have to be snooty . I think you were just unlucky.

I remember this place in Quebec city " Le Saint Amour" with the most fantastic atmosphere, efficient and incredibly friendly yet knowledgeable service and food to die for. Expensive yes but worth every penny for every delectable morsel.

However I also think people tend to be too "snobby" about food, food should be about pleasure and comfort and fun.

Not everyone will find a posh restaurant comfortable and it defeats the purpose of the exercise so to speak to feel pressured to eat at those places.

Eating is my main expense apart from vacations and I adore trying new places, some the really fancy places.

Old 10-31-2007, 08:07 AM

1,127 posts, read 5,008,385 times
Anytime you pay $80 for a 3 course meal and the staff is snotty, you've gone to an overly expensive restaurant, not a fancy one. Just like people of quality, a quality restaurant does not make its patrons feel uncomfortable. The most impressive restaurant I've ever been in is Comander's Palace in NOLA. You are greeted by the staff, from the host to the busboy, as you are seated at the table. The food is excellent. You are not hurried during your meal. A popular food critic here tells his audience that if you want to learn the restaurant business, you should work at this restaurant; start as a busboy and work your way up. The same guy also advises that you should never attend a newly opened restaurant; wait a few months before going.

Sorry you had such a yucky experience. This restaurant sounds lame and unprofessional and you should let them and your friends know.

Old 10-31-2007, 08:31 AM

746 posts, read 3,498,799 times
Fancy, expensive and snooty are three words that would deter me from trying a new restaurant.

But I will happily go out of my way and pay dearly for truly wonderful and distinctive food.

It makes no difference to me if it is a diner, cafe or white tablecloth operation. I can deal with aloof wait staff, they just better be attentive. And I am willing to wait for food to be properly prepared, but not for the stock to simmer, That should have been done earlier in the day.

Old 10-31-2007, 09:50 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,417,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
It depends on the restaurant ! I am a bit of a foodie and sometimes I love just splashing out on some really special food.

Some restaurants have disappointed me ( always made worse if the price tag was high!) but some have been worth every penny/cent.
I agree. I don't mind splurging on an expensive meal once in a while or to celebrate an event, but I won't pay a high price for the sake of eating at an expensive restaurant. The higher end restaurants I do go to have excellent food and excellent service making the splurge worth it. If the staff was snotty or extremely slow I wouldn't go back again. I would cut some slack if the restaurant just opened and give them a chance to work out the bugs.

I appreciate fine food made with quality ingredients so an expensive meal (if the quality is right) is worth it to me. If someone is just as happy eating at Applebees then it probably wouldn't be worth it to them.

Old 10-31-2007, 09:51 AM

859 posts, read 3,321,145 times
I am not big on French food, but I do like a nice expensive every once in awhile. I like to try new things and new places.

There are some good expensive places out there and there are the bad, you just gotta know where you're going. I usually go places that someone else had recommended. Plus my father is in the industry, so he gets good tips on where to eat.

Old 10-31-2007, 11:00 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,116,924 times
McDonald's anyone?????

Old 10-31-2007, 11:09 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,531,941 times
Ok maybe I'm a reverse restaurant snob......
If the meal was $80.00 for both it's not too bad..
I for one hate hate hate spending a lot of $$$ on a meal that you have to go get something to eat afterwards because you're still hungry.
I've gone out with relatives that think you have to spend $100.00 per person to get a good meal. To me that's such a waste.
Breakfast and lunch I'd rather have a small diner and maybe a steak house for dinner.

Old 10-31-2007, 12:16 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,061,372 times
I appreciate fine dining. I wish I would get myself together to eat at nice places more often. However, I do hold expensive resturants to a much higher standard than diners or cheaper eateries.

There was one resturant that I and my wife particularily liked. Dinner for two typically runs $120-140 without drinks, $70-80 if we are not terribly hungry and split the main course. For our first few visits, the food was unfailingly excellent.

Service was perfectly measured for a nice conversation over drinks, and an opportunity to sample the bread before the appetizer arrived. Then, just when your palate had cleared and you were starting to feel a bit hungry, the main course would arrive. Portions were perfectly sized and the taste was always superb.

I suppose if you shoveled it in, the portions would have seemed small, but taking the time to savor the dish allows you to become full without overstuffing yourself.

Lastly, desert was perfectly prepared and would arrive timed for a pleasant post-meal conversation.

Unfortunately, our last experience at this particular place was sub-par. Service was fine, but two out of four dishes were imperfectly prepared. In a market as crowded as the one where this resturant is located they should have more care to make sure their dishes are always prime or they will lose customers. Oh well, it was time to try new places, anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink