Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2013, 02:32 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,811,485 times

Advertisements

With grilling coming in season, I love experimenting with different ground cuts for burgers.

My two faves so far are ground beef brisket or boneless short ribs.

If not beef, I love grilling bison burgers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2013, 02:53 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
brisket is ok,,,but bnls short ribs?? where do those come from?? (im being sarcastic,,because a brisket is a sub-primal,,bnls short ribs,,can come from a few different sources.)

in my humble opinion chuck primals makes the best grinds -around 85% lean..

mom...if you grind your own,,,,most ground chuck is generated from two primals,,,a chuck roll, and a chuck shoulder clod..

if you see bnls chuck roasts or steaks on sale- at a good price- buy these and grind them-along with a chuck shoulder roast and shoulder arm steak(sometimes called london broils)

even a bottom round roast is decent to grind.... it does have some marbling

briskets can have quite a bit of fat,,,which is flavor.... but with briskets be sure the slimey fat is taken off the back of them-sometimes, the fat isnt firm,,

dont buy your burger at box or chain supermarkets,,,they use "tube" burger (pre-processed) or it arrives at the store all packaged- map-packed (modified air packaging) or gas flushed

if you have a butcher grind your burger,,ask for "chuck" stock...at around 85% lean

i've ground hundreds of thousands of lbs of burger,,,and been a butcher for many yrs.

the leanest grinds can come from the round- you can grind a knuckle, or inside round,,,for super-lean,,,but keep in mind,,,you need some fat for flavor,,,,

Old 05-25-2013, 02:56 PM

I was looking at the flanks, they wouldn't be too tough for grinding? Thanks for the other suggestions. What I look for is a really beefy flavor which the brisket does nicely so far. Will try the others.

Old 05-25-2013, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
I was looking at the flanks, they wouldn't be too tough for grinding? Thanks for the other suggestions. What I look for is a really beefy flavor which the brisket does nicely so far. Will try the others.
i wouldnt use flanks,,a little pricey

the beefy flavor comes with some fat- again,,the chuck (which is the forequarter of the crtter)
to me- has the best beefy flavor..

now- stores that still grind fresh themselves,,,will use
bench trimmings,- also will use chuck tenders (a muscle off the back of a chuck-roll)
heel-meat ( the "heel" comes off the round (hindquarter) from what they call a gooseneck round-which consists of the bottom flat, the eye-round and the heel)
neck-meat- come from the end of a chuck-roll-where the old yankee pot roasts came from

if you do grind your own,,,you can ask for a wholesale price on a
"xt shoulder clod" 16-20lb ave. xt, means extra-trim ..if you got commodity, not xt, they'd be ALOT of fat
"xt chuck roll" 20-22lb ave
bottom flat 14-17lb ave

here is a video of a shoulder clod being processed- it could be all for ground chuck

chuckshoulderclodvideo - YouTube

and here's what a chuck roll looks like- it can be ground for excellent ground chuck the whole thing

How to cut a beef chuckroll - YouTube

Old 05-25-2013, 04:40 PM

I get my meat from a processing plant so it's fresh and made to order. I can pick what cuts I want as they have it all.

I always thought London Broil was the thick large flank.

Snipped
buy these and grind them-along with a chuck shoulder roast and shoulder arm steak(sometimes called london broils)

Old 05-25-2013, 05:28 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
I buy whole boneless shoulders. (chuck). Once through the grinder for coarse chili meat. Then through the grinder a second time to get the right texture for hamburgers.

Don't smash the meat tight when you make patties. Just press enough so that it sticks together.

Old 05-25-2013, 05:31 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
I don't know what happens to the short ribs. The only time I get them is when I buy an entire side and have it custom cut.

It's been at least 25 years since I've seen short ribs for sale in the market.

Old 05-25-2013, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
I get my meat from a processing plant so it's fresh and made to order. I can pick what cuts I want as they have it all.

I always thought London Broil was the thick large flank.

Snipped
buy these and grind them-along with a chuck shoulder roast and shoulder arm steak(sometimes called london broils)
london broil is more of a cooking method (and sliced against the grain)than a particular steak- i mentioned it because in new england the shoulder arm steak is also called london broil-
some regions the top round steak cut thick is also called london broil,,

the true flank usually isnt that thick- but it can be cut thin at a bias-it can be stringy-but you are right-it is the original london broil

if you get to pick and choose your cuts.... and want something different

ask for "bottom sirloin flap meat" this is a tender cut,,and is awesome marinated-usually comes in strips-here's a video

Beef Steakhouse Loin Tips - YouTube

Old 05-25-2013, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I don't know what happens to the short ribs. The only time I get them is when I buy an entire side and have it custom cut.

It's been at least 25 years since I've seen short ribs for sale in the market.
they still sell them- i cut some the other day
the problem with them at retail is- because they consist of bone- they turn quickly,,,meaning, there's ten times more bacteria on bone , than muscle (thats why the bone has flavor) they tend to discolor quickly in a meatcase-within a couple days and if they dont sell, they have to mark them down

call around-ask them if they bring them in-to give you a call-they will happily do that

be sure they are the true short ribs. and not the ribs from underneath the rib-eye

Old 05-25-2013, 06:02 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,904,172 times
Brisket and short ribs seems to be popular as it takes two fatty yet fairly tough cuts of meat and makes them into a nice ground beef burger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink