Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2013, 07:35 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,177,954 times

Advertisements

I found this on the "Urban Planning" subforum, but thought it would be fun to post here:

You Are What You Eat

...a case perhaps where the review might be better than the book.

Some really interesting observations that I somewhat share. But how about this so-called "Modernist Cuisne"???

Quote:
....the ascendance of ingredient worship has paralleled a polar-opposite trend, that of modernist cuisine....modernism utilizes laboratory chemicals and equipment to give foods surprising appearances and textures. Modernists chefs are often hailed as avant-gardists, but the pieces Pearlman highlights in Smart Casual reveal a troublingly reactionary attitude. Deconstructed, disguised, minimized reinterpretations of Heath bars, doughnuts, cheesesteaks, and burgers simultaneously mock anyone unhip enough to prefer the original version and applaud their eater’s advanced palate and dainty appetite
I have never heard of this...it sounds sort of decadent, and...conceptually....a bit like that elaborate French cuisne the writer talks about earlier in the review, but different in that is seems like "food irony"....as in a haute cuisne donut, or degenerating into gimmickry (like the petit four made to look like a McDonalds Cheesburger that the writer talks about later in the article)

@@@@

But theres tons of other good observations, esp about the "local sourcing" thing, that sort of jibes with my personal skepticsm on all this (I think this was actually parodies in an episode of that Portlandia tv show).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 09:03 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
Some really interesting observations that I somewhat share. But how about this so-called "Modernist Cuisne"???

I have never heard of this...it sounds sort of decadent, and...conceptually....a bit like that elaborate French cuisne the writer talks about earlier in the review, but different in that is seems like "food irony"....as in a haute cuisne donut, or degenerating into gimmickry (like the petit four made to look like a McDonalds Cheesburger that the writer talks about later in the article)

@@@@

But theres tons of other good observations, esp about the "local sourcing" thing, that sort of jibes with my personal skepticsm on all this (I think this was actually parodies in an episode of that Portlandia tv show).

You won't find it in Dayton or Cincinnati BUT it seems to be the rage in Chicago.

Google Hermano Cantu or MOTO and you will the classic example.

Personally, it is a great way for chefs to charge $225 for one meal. I really lack any interest in it although I met many of the chefs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink