Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 05:54 PM

61,870 posts, read 87,339,575 times

Advertisements

People are too obsessed about germs, and when few enter their body, they get very sick. No immune system at all...

Old 05-25-2013, 06:05 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,261,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
People are too obsessed about germs, and when few enter their body, they get very sick. No immune system at all...
Excellent point!!

Old 05-25-2013, 09:00 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,294,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I was ruminating on that very subject today while I was cleaning my "kitchen". My BIL is an OCD neatnik, and so is his live-in girlfriend. I was thinking how I don't mind a few germs; general cleanliness is de rigeur, but I don't feel the need to sterilize everything. For instance, he commented that we should put our butter away before it spoiled. Well, we leave the butter out (wrapped or covered) all the time. That stuff is hard to spread right out of the fridge! And we use it up quickly enough not to have it go bad.

And, with that, I bid you all good night.

Old 05-26-2013, 06:28 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,527,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post

Most commercially processed untreated ground meat has the same issues. Proper cooking temps as has been disscussed in this forum ad nauseum.
Agreed.

Old 05-26-2013, 08:00 AM

50,926 posts, read 36,618,843 times
This has nothing whatsoever to do with people hating meat, for goodness' sake. It has to do with knowing what is going on with our factories and what we put into our bodies, and demanding better. For instance, if anyone bothered to read the article vs. just the knee-jerk reaction that it's a conspiracy to make us all vegetarians, you'd see that turkeys raised without antibiotics had far lower levels of the antibiotic resistant bacteria (THAT is the important part of this article btw, not just the fact there is bacteria). If we as consumers demanded an end to injecting animals with antibiotics by buying meat from factories that don't use them, we would all be better off and we would perhaps go a long way to stopping these new super bugs that are a threat to everyone.

I guess I don't get the "I couldn't care less what companies do to my food" attitude?

Old 05-26-2013, 08:13 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,395,509 times
This is why I have switched to black bean chipotle burgers.

Old 05-26-2013, 08:24 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,742,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
This has nothing whatsoever to do with people hating meat, for goodness' sake. It has to do with knowing what is going on with our factories and what we put into our bodies, and demanding better. For instance, if anyone bothered to read the article vs. just the knee-jerk reaction that it's a conspiracy to make us all vegetarians, you'd see that turkeys raised without antibiotics had far lower levels of the antibiotic resistant bacteria (THAT is the important part of this article btw, not just the fact there is bacteria). If we as consumers demanded an end to injecting animals with antibiotics by buying meat from factories that don't use them, we would all be better off and we would perhaps go a long way to stopping these new super bugs that are a threat to everyone.

I guess I don't get the "I couldn't care less what companies do to my food" attitude?
Sorry ain't buying it.

Almost all modern food safety practices have been a major contributor to the world wide explosion in population. Inclusive of antibiotic injections and other methods have almost eliminated human illness and death comparatively as a percentage of overall population through foodborne pathogens in the US and other 1st world developed countries.

Your more at risk of choking and dying on a chicken bone than from a foodborne pathogen precisely because of modern food safety practices throughout the entire food industrial complex from hoof to mouth. (pun intended for those in the know)

The way to prevent super bugs is stop the overmedication of humans.

Old 05-26-2013, 04:15 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,697,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post

Most commercially processed untreated ground meat has the same issues. Proper cooking temps as has been disscussed in this forum ad nauseum.
There is plenty of evidence that for some "germs" or anti-bodies no amount of cooking will make the meat safe to consume but THAT information is not widely known.

Old 05-26-2013, 04:19 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,261,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
There is plenty of evidence that for some "germs" or anti-bodies no amount of cooking will make the meat safe to consume but THAT information is not widely known.
there is also plenty of evidence, that veggies cause more foodborne illnesses than meat...how well is that known??

Old 05-26-2013, 04:36 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,697,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
there is also plenty of evidence, that veggies cause more foodborne illnesses than meat...how well is that known??
Fairly well known since there have been several widely reported recalls of veggies by the FDA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink