Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 12:48 PM

4,480 posts, read 3,853,790 times

Advertisements

So I did a search to make sure this question has not been asked before, and I don't think it has.

I am so sick and tired of buying blenders that suck. I just bought a 300 Breville that jumps all over the counter and made a smoothie with ice that I had to chew. WTH???? It is going right back to Macy's.

I am about to finally spend the 500 bucks and buy a decent blender (Vitamix, Blendtec, etc.). I am interested in buying a blender that makes SNOW of ice, in other words, perfect smoothies. If I spend 500 bucks on a blender and I make a smoothie and I am tasting tiny ice chunks I am going to be super pissed off.

I want a blender that makes of ice what you get in a Starbucks Frappuccino. Miniscule snow. And it does this fast so that you don't whip too much air into the mixture.

I know that a lot of you have Blendtecs and Vitas. Which blender should I get?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 01:12 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
I've never had much luck getting blenders to efficiently get ice to a consistency of shaved ice, its usually a violent noisy affair that usually results in a smashed ice rather than a shaved ice consistency., maybe a $500 one might do a better job, or you could use a machine specifically made to shave ice and use the blender for all the other smoothie ingredients and combine the two.
Amazon Best Sellers: best Shaved Ice Machines

Old 06-12-2013, 10:34 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,844,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
I am so sick and tired of buying blenders that suck.

I am about to finally spend the 500 bucks and buy a decent blender (Vitamix, Blendtec, etc.). I am interested in buying a blender that makes SNOW of ice, in other words, perfect smoothies. If I spend 500 bucks on a blender and I make a smoothie and I am tasting tiny ice chunks I am going to be super pissed off.

I know that a lot of you have Blendtecs and Vitas. Which blender should I get?
never heard of a Blendtec. I've had a VitaMix for years. It's the best blender I've ever owned...had the same sentiments as you. A lot of the smoothie-type stores use VitaMix. FWIW, I make fantastic smoothies every morning.

Old 06-13-2013, 07:59 AM

4,480 posts, read 3,853,790 times
So are you saying that when you make a smoothie with ice, that the Vitamix pulverizes the ice completely? I don't want to taste grains of ice in my smoothie. I want the blender to basically make snow of the ice.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:59 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,857,902 times
I have a Vitamix, my son has a Blendtec. We both like the Vitamix much better.

Last edited by missik999; 06-13-2013 at 09:36 AM..

Old 06-13-2013, 09:11 AM

7,098 posts, read 4,825,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
So are you saying that when you make a smoothie with ice, that the Vitamix pulverizes the ice completely? I don't want to taste grains of ice in my smoothie. I want the blender to basically make snow of the ice.
My daughter has a Vitamix, makes smoothies every day. Absolutely no ice chips or grains. Very smooth. and hers is a refurbished model. It's a wonderful machine.

Also, FWIW, I believe there's a 30-day guarantee, if you don't like it you can return for your money back. Check the Vitamix website.

Old 06-13-2013, 09:25 AM

1,322 posts, read 3,474,911 times
I have a Vitamix for about a year now and it gets used daily. It does pulverize ice and just about anything you can put in it. I also bought the additional container to make flour from whole grains. It is an American made product with excellent customer service. I purchased mine from qvc when it was a daily special that offered payments that made the cost a little easier to handle.
My ONLY complaint is that the blades do not come off so any thing thick (like almond butter) is a pain to get out around the blades and I feel that I waste some of the food.

If you do a search on YouTube, I think you will find a few video comparisons between Vitamix and Blendtec that may help you make your own decision.

Old 06-13-2013, 10:15 AM

1 posts, read 5,055 times
I have a Blendtec, and it will make perfect snow. And you don't have to use a tamper (as you do with Vitamixes) to pulverize the ice. If you have any doubt, check out the Will It Blend? videos on YouTube. Blendtec blenders are super tough, can blend anything, and won't wear out. You get a 7-year warranty, and I think the warranty is 8 years if you buy at Costco. The shape of the jar and blades make it easier than Vitamix jars to get out all the bits of food, so you aren't wasting anything. P.S. I also have a Twister jar for my Blendtec. The jar is smaller and has tines, making it perfect for nut butters, hummus, and small recipes. I LOVE it!!!

Old 06-13-2013, 12:59 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,857,902 times
If you have a Whole Foods in your area they do live VitaMix demonstrations. They prepare several different types of smoothies and hot soups, give samples and recipes.

My son said he would have bought a VitaMix if he had seen a demo. He bought his Blendtec on the recommendation of a friend who had never used a Vitamix.

Old 06-13-2013, 01:31 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,996,765 times
Vitamix. It's what restaurants and bars use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink