Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 09:01 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times

Advertisements

Ok, we are all into the height of the summer heat and will be seeing those temps in the 90s or higher (depending on where you live of course) will you do more eating out, more grilling, smaller meals, or what? I know we eat totally different in the summer.

We have more salads for dinner or grilled meals, like burgers, dogs, things that are easy and can served on paper plates a couple of times a week. We do not eat out more, but I am inclined to pick up a pizza or maybe even take out Chinese food and keep the heat out of the kitchen.

Add to this all the fresh produce and we probably eat a lot healthier, even with the pizza than we do in the winter months, plus our only desserts, if we have them at all is ice cream or frozen fruit bars. Even breakfasts are lighter. We will have smoothies about once a week in place of cold cereal and toast and I don't make waffles or heavy greasy foods as often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 09:15 AM

536 posts, read 830,443 times
I grill a ton in the summer. My gas grill is hooked up to the gas line of the house so I never run out of gas and I don't have to buy tanks. So I grill on that probably 3 days week at least. Mostly healthy, but I splurge here and there or what is the point of living! On the weekends when I have more time I will break out my smoker and cook on wood and smoke a brisket or ribs or something like that all day long. So good!

There are some differences between our winter and summer meals though, like for example nobody wants to eat a bowl of hot chilli when it's 100 degrees outside

Last edited by Dreadnought; 07-11-2013 at 10:06 AM..

Old 07-11-2013, 09:40 AM

3,399 posts, read 3,091,772 times
Lots of grilling, use of the George Foreman, salads, lean meat and lots of chicken and fish mostly grilled, sandwiches or pitas, tacos, low calorie stuff since I have a tendency to gain in the summer, large cool drinks, cereal for breakfast. Use the crock pot for pulled pork, Italian beef, etc.

But if I'm hungry for chilli (as we call it in the Midwest), I make it and eat it....who cares if it's 100 degrees out...I turn up the air conditioner. And I bake too if I'm hungry for cookies or fruit cobblers, etc.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:14 AM

536 posts, read 830,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rural chick View Post
But if I'm hungry for chilli (as we call it in the Midwest), I make it and eat it....who cares if it's 100 degrees out...I turn up the air conditioner. And I bake too if I'm hungry for cookies or fruit cobblers, etc.
Our house is very old and even with a brand new air conditioner it can still be pretty warm inside on hot days. And it gets very hot and humid in St. Louis (although it's been nice this year) so yeah on days like that there are just dishes we wouldn't be in the mood for. Wouldn't dream of turning on the oven either.

Old 07-11-2013, 12:36 PM

1,882 posts, read 4,620,068 times
Less soups/stews/chili, and more fresh veg. Smaller portions, too. More steak, burgers, and less roasts. More sandwiches, more fresh fruit.

Old 07-11-2013, 01:32 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,164,646 times
More salads and fresh fruit and veg.

Although overall, maybe I eat healthier in winter: I use my crockpot a lot, and roast vegetables and generally do more home-cooked food (mostly vegetarian) in winter.

Because I'm less inclined to cook when it's hot, I default more to eating out, or eating deli salads, in summer.

Old 07-11-2013, 02:36 PM

880 posts, read 2,025,509 times
A few more beers, BBQ ,fresh salad,fruit,plenty of fresh fish from the waters off of Long Island

Old 07-11-2013, 02:49 PM

2,294 posts, read 3,430,778 times
In the summer we grill most days, its too hot to have food cooking in the oven for too long plus with the warmer days I prefer fresh salads and fruit.
I did make Janbalaya a couple of days ago, it made me hot just eating it

Old 07-11-2013, 03:34 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,232,757 times
most folks dont grill 'year round up here- when its summer i like to grill out a lot!!
my favs are Rib-eye steaks, cheeseburgers, kabobs, chinese ribs, strip steaks, lamb, porterhouse steaks
chicken thighs, loin tips (from sirloin flap meat) and chicken wings and turkey tenders
also like to eat lobsters and clams,,,,cook the lobsters outside in a propane cooker/boiler

drink more ice or blended drinks,,,from mudslides, to daiqueries, to cold beer, to ice tea

we buy alot of local stuff when in season, strawberries, blueberries, corn on the cob, fiddleheads,tomatoes, beans,

on real hot days (over 85) we may have sandwiches-anything from roast beef, ham, lobster/crab sandwiches

Old 07-11-2013, 05:11 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,606,309 times
No braises or stews or soups, seldom make potatoes in the summer, of course more grilling, but also I do a lot of crockpot things that don't get the kitchen too hot to stuff into wraps later. Lots more ice cream. Lots more bacon once the tomatoes start turning ripe for BLTs and BLATs and BLOATs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink