Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 02:03 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
If it was frozen without him putting water on the outside and properly sealed, then the meat would contain the natural amount of liquids and he should look at you funny
I think he looked at me that way cause he didn't believe anyone would pick up on something like that. I sure did!!! and believe it or not I am not tight with my money (ask spoiled brat) and I don't usually ay much attention. that just happened to hit me, that day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2013, 02:07 PM

61,734 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Quote:
No - salmon are not injected with dyes. Farmed salmon have grey flesh and wild salmon get their coloration from what they eat. So, to get farmed salmon to have better coloration they are fed a colorant in the feed pellets.

THEY DO NOT INJECT DYES INTO SALMON
^^^ Right. In the wild, salmon consume this natural pigment - called a carotenoid, while feeding on krill. Salmon flesh, like trout, retains this pigment, giving it the pleasing pink flesh the fish is famous for.
In farming pods (aqua-pods) the industry mimic the diet that salmon would normally get in the wild, so it supplements salmon feed with a synthetic replacement. It's called astaxanthin, and chemically, it's identical to the pigment that salmon get in the wild. It's processed and absorbed by wild and farmed fish in exactly the same manner, though some species retain more color than others.

Old 07-18-2013, 02:26 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,933,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
...the little diaper under the meat, ...
This made me laugh out loud!

Old 07-18-2013, 02:26 PM

61,734 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Or, if you REALLY want to be upset about that chicken, look at the conditions in which it was raised in the United States. China, unfortunately, does not have a monopoly on unsafe and inhumane farming.
I don't think the US is importing chicken from China.
But... A planned inspection of China’s poultry processing plants by US agricultural officials could be a step towards lifting the ban on Chinese chicken imports to the US for human consumption.

However you should know that US chicken is banned in many countries (including Europe) due to the use of chlorine as an anti-microbial treatment in poultry production, and arsenic, which is commonly used in the United States.

Old 07-18-2013, 02:27 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Or, if you REALLY want to be upset about that chicken, look at the conditions in which it was raised in the United States. China, unfortunately, does not have a monopoly on unsafe and inhumane farming.

If shoppers don't want to contribute to inhumane and negligent farming practices, they should purchase kosher or buddhist-raised chickens.
I buy all my meat from a small butcher shop, and you can taste the difference. In addition, his ground beef is all from one piece of one cow, not hundreds. His leanest ground beef is expensive, but literally tastes like steak. And the thing you notice is it all has a red 'meat' color with none of the grey cast supermarket meat has. I'd rather pay more and get the real thing and eat less of it because it tastes so good. And his meat does not leave water in the skillet when you cook it. In fact the leanest needs a little oil added.

Can't stand the thought of supermarket meat. I do buy the frozen sealed fish since I don't have fish often and it keeps that way.

But I used to cook a lot of chicken but now not often at all. I can't find a source of organically raised chicken locally. They have the stuff in the bag which says so at one store but its more expensive for something I don't eat that much.

I think once you learn to appreciate the real taste of meat from a butcher who does it right you can't go back.

Old 07-19-2013, 07:16 AM

1,906 posts, read 2,039,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
No - salmon are not injected with dyes. Farmed salmon have grey flesh and wild salmon get their coloration from what they eat. So, to get farmed salmon to have better coloration they are fed a colorant in the feed pellets.

THEY DO NOT INJECT DYES INTO SALMON
My bad, true salmon are fed dyes and so are chickens. Not a big difference in my opinion, color is still dyed. I wonder why some farm raised salmon I have seen at better fish markets are this color ?

Old 07-19-2013, 11:25 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,974,968 times
My local supermarket has 93% lean chopped beef and I have to add oil in the pan when I cook it.

I don't know what people see in fatty chuck. People say they like the flavor better, but I prefer lean red meat.

Old 07-19-2013, 03:26 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
My local supermarket has 93% lean chopped beef and I have to add oil in the pan when I cook it.

I don't know what people see in fatty chuck. People say they like the flavor better, but I prefer lean red meat.
85% /ground chuck is the best selling grade in the u.s

just enough fat for flavor....if its too lean,,,it has less flavor, and dry

some box stores sell a 73% lean,,,,pretty fatty stuff,,,,you end up with a hockey puck when its done cooking,,,,but makes for a great flame on the grill

I use to have a diabetic, that would ask for the leanest ground beef possible,,i'd take an inside round,,,cut straight lean and give him that....i tested it once (how "they" test the lean/fat ratio is with a contraption called a fat anylizer,,,you cook up a small amount- the grease/juice goes in a test tube, and you measure the fat floating on the top of the juice and that will show the lean/fat ratio)
it came out to 99.5% lean....

Old 07-19-2013, 04:30 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanokie View Post
My bad, true salmon are fed dyes and so are chickens. Not a big difference in my opinion, color is still dyed.
No, you still don't get it. Wild salmon are the color they are because they eat food that contains chemicals that cause their flesh to turn that color. Without it, their flesh would stay grey.

Farmed salmon which are fed food containing that same chemical also turn pink. It's not a dye.

Old 07-19-2013, 06:25 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
I use to have a diabetic, that would ask for the leanest ground beef possible,,i'd take an inside round,,,cut straight lean and give him that....i tested it once (how "they" test the lean/fat ratio is with a contraption called a fat anylizer,,,you cook up a small amount- the grease/juice goes in a test tube, and you measure the fat floating on the top of the juice and that will show the lean/fat ratio)
it came out to 99.5% lean....
That sounds pretty accurate to me ... the inside round lacks a lot of intramuscular fat. I have never seen one of those but always threatened to use it to see if I was getting the meat I was paying for.

Personally, we always used top rounds for roast beef in the hospitals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink