Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 05:07 PM

14,454 posts, read 20,630,704 times

Advertisements

Our church is having an international potluck meal. They ask everyone to bring a food item or dessert.
Besides German chocolate cake, or Italian green beans or Italian spaghetti, what simple and inexpensive ideas do you have? There is always more food than everyone can eat so taking something is not required, but we'd like to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 05:10 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,203,960 times
How about something from your ethnic background? Or you could always bring some bakery croissants or even biscuits with a couple sticks of butter.

I love international pot lucks!

Old 10-22-2013, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Bloom View Post
How about something from your ethnic background?
We have to go way back to the 1700's for our ancestors to be from England.
So, our ethnic background is not very international.
Maybe Asian fortune cookies to give to each person.
That should not cost much and maybe a local Asian restaurant has them.

revised: A local restaurant will sell us a bag of 25 fortune cookies for $3.00.
Sold...!

Last edited by howard555; 10-22-2013 at 05:30 PM..

Old 10-22-2013, 05:22 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,203,960 times
Fortune cookies - what a great idea! Ask the restaurant for several of those white to-go boxes for a cool presentation.

Old 10-22-2013, 05:58 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,138,742 times
Sounds like your problem is solved, but here are some ideas (kind of outside the box) should anyone else be interested:

One of my favorite things, and something that would be cheap to make is
Sambharo -- it's kind of an Indian cabbage slaw.

A simple curry, like Aloo Mutter or Aloo Gobi is inexpensive. I love any kind of Dal (lentil) curry, as well.

There are many rice-based dishes that are inexpensive:
A fried rice, something like Nasi Goreng (Indonesian) or the plain old Chinese variety.
A middle eastern dish like Mujaddara
Red Beans & Rice

Tabbouleh would be not as cheap (fresh veggies can cost a bit more), but is good, too.

Hummus with some flatbread, as an appetizer.

An English desert like a Fool, Eton Mess, or even a Trifle would be fairly quick, easy and inexpensive. Or an Australian/New Zealand Pavlova. Depending on the fruit ... which can increase costs.

Old 10-22-2013, 06:18 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,391,935 times
Well, I am dieting again to lose the final X lbs. I'm going to brag! I lost so much weight, my underwear fell off. I had to buy new panties. Maybe this just illustrates how overweight I was.

Anyway, now I am obsessed with my favorite foods because I can't really eat them.

How about Filipino fruit salad? I LOVE this stuff. It tastes awesome.

My Recipe

1. Cans of fruit cocktail. Not the sugar free stuff. You can also add any canned fruit you like. Don't try to be "healthy" and use fresh fruit. It is not the same.

2. Asian coco jels. These are canned or jarred coconut "jello" cubes. It is not gelatin, though. These are great, and make the salad taste really exotic. You can usually find these at any Asian grocery.

3. Cream Cheese - two or three packets of cream cheese thawed to room temperature.

4. Condensed milk - to taste.

I normally don't measure the ingredients. Just mix the cream cheese with condensed milk until it is smooth. You should taste the mixture. It should not be too sweet, since you are using sweetened fruit.

Then add in cans of fruit salad and coco jelly. Mix as you add. The "dressing" should get more liquid. Then taste it. The sweet fruit and creamy cheesy sauce are SOOO good. Try not to eat it all. A filipina lady taught me to make this a long time ago, but I make the recipe to my taste. I like peaches and don't use a lot of condensed milk.

It should look something like this:

Old 10-22-2013, 07:25 PM

3,169 posts, read 5,161,728 times
I love bringing foods from my background. That said Filipino food is always a big hit at potlucks. A crock pot of East Indian or Jamaican curry and rice would go over well, too.

A crock pot of a shredded cheap pork roast and some salsa, cilantro, lime, diced onion, and corn tortillas would be nice for a taco bar.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:43 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
char sui (Chinese BBQ roast pork). Ridiculously easy to make and addictive. If you don't have the local resources to get the maltose, just change it to honey, but use a little less.

USE PORK BUTT. Perfect for a group.

Old 10-23-2013, 06:56 AM

Many tasty ideas. I'll report back with what dishes others brought.

Old 10-23-2013, 07:03 AM

4,534 posts, read 4,927,812 times
Pierogies. Easy, everyone likes them, and picky westerners will still eat it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink