Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 10:18 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,100,559 times

Advertisements

I love all the fresh blue and black berries available at the farmers market and I'm buying oodles of them
I soak them for a minute or two with white vinegar and water to retard mold growth. I drain and dry. Then I keep some for this week's consumption and freeze some in single layers on cookies sheets and then put them in a big container and back in the freezer. They are individual berries now and I can measure for recipes or grab a handful for milkshakes, etc. No preservatives like many store bought frozen fruits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 12:25 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I love all the fresh blue and black berries available at the farmers market and I'm buying oodles of them
I soak them for a minute or two with white vinegar and water to retard mold growth. I drain and dry. Then I keep some for this week's consumption and freeze some in single layers on cookies sheets and then put them in a big container and back in the freezer. They are individual berries now and I can measure for recipes or grab a handful for milkshakes, etc. No preservatives like many store bought frozen fruits.
Heck, when I get blueberries I don't do anything except wash them, add a tiny bit of sugar, I do not put them in single layers in the freezer because they do not really stick together like other berries. I just put them in a really large (a gallon) size bag and stick them in the freezer. They I have them, like you say, for smoothies, pancakes, whatever. I do freeze the blackberries on a cookie sheet first cause they can stick together, same with strawberries. I also don't buy them at the farmers market, they are usually way too expensive, especially the blackberries. The blueberries are less expensive.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:35 PM

4,095 posts, read 5,548,229 times
I use berries to put in my porridge or to add to plain yogurt.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:52 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,718,121 times
A simple roasted/broiled/sautéed chicken breast or pork tenderloin can take on a whole new dimension with an easy berry sauce. Just cook down blueberries/blackberries with some blueberry/blackberry liqueur (I use the inexpensive LeRoux brand available here but any other works just fine), slice the meat, pop it on top of quickly- wilted spinach or mesclun greens and pour the sauce over. Heavenly! If you have leftover sauce (and it freezes well too if you want to make up a batch) serve it at room temperature over ice cream ...

Old 07-26-2013, 01:56 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,100,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Heck, when I get blueberries I don't do anything except wash them, add a tiny bit of sugar, I do not put them in single layers in the freezer because they do not really stick together like other berries. I just put them in a really large (a gallon) size bag and stick them in the freezer. They I have them, like you say, for smoothies, pancakes, whatever. I do freeze the blackberries on a cookie sheet first cause they can stick together, same with strawberries. I also don't buy them at the farmers market, they are usually way too expensive, especially the blackberries. The blueberries are less expensive.
Well I always wash everything, fruits and veggies when I get home so berries will be wet and stick together if I froze them without first freezing in single layer on cookie sheet.
I am diabetic and one of the reasons why I eat and enjoy blueberries so much is because they don't need sugar (at least not to me) and I pop them all day for a boost. I decided blueberries are my reward for all my other frugalities and I buy them year round. Now I enjoy blackberries raw too but they do need sugar when baked in cobbler or other dishes.

Old 07-26-2013, 02:34 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Well I always wash everything, fruits and veggies when I get home so berries will be wet and stick together if I froze them without first freezing in single layer on cookie sheet.
I am diabetic and one of the reasons why I eat and enjoy blueberries so much is because they don't need sugar (at least not to me) and I pop them all day for a boost. I decided blueberries are my reward for all my other frugalities and I buy them year round. Now I enjoy blackberries raw too but they do need sugar when baked in cobbler or other dishes.
We do wash them, but we put them in a colander for just a few minutes and let them drain. We have never had a problem, but I don't think it makes much difference, either putting them on the cooking sheet or not; both ways do work. I think the reason why it isn't as important with blueberries is, they are seem to come apart almost as soon as you touch them. They are a totally different texture from other berries.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:50 PM

109 posts, read 155,533 times
I make jam out of berries. They're really good and I can make many variations.

Old 07-27-2013, 02:00 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,232,757 times
i buy berries on sale,,wash them,,,and eat as snacks, for breakfast, and as deserts..

i like fruit a whole lot better than veggies....

i like them in smoothies, and in a big bowl of cheerios, or ice cream

maine is a big blueberry state,,,over 90,000,000 lbs are harvested each yr, many places to pick your own,,, same as blackberries-love them,,,

Old 07-27-2013, 03:08 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,881,385 times
I'm a berry-loving fool. I used to pick blackberries and sell them to make some extra cash. A family up the road had a mulberry tree and, in case you don't know, a mulberry is one sweet and juicy berry.

Every year we would wait until that HUGE mulberry tree had ripe berries and we would eat mulberries until we just couldn't eat one more.

Well, one year we were noshing those mulberries and I took a bite out of one and happened to look at the other half of the berry. What I saw was a little white worm wriggling in that berry. I picked a few more and each time I ripped one apart I noticed a little worm inside.

I don't know how many worms I had eaten but I have never eaten another mulberry since then.

BTW - Yes, I know what the "experts" say about worms in mulberries, but I also know what I saw wriggling in those mulberries.

Last edited by Dirt Grinder; 07-27-2013 at 03:17 AM..

Old 07-27-2013, 05:00 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,548,229 times
I buy tons of berries during the season here and really miss them when out of season. And I won't buy frozen. Yuck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink