Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 07:43 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,771,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturen View Post
I chop or slice my garlic - I love the experience and the aroma.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
This^. But I can see how it would be convenient to have some garlic paste on hand. I use Amore tomato paste & anchovy paste when I don't want to bother with the canned stuff.
I go through tons of garlic, too, lol!
This may sound kind of different but do you lick your fingers after you chop garlic? Just one of the added joys of fresh garlic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 12:51 PM

1,939 posts, read 2,166,313 times
I used to buy garlic minced in a jar, which I kept in the fridge. My problem with the jars and tubes of garlic is once you open them, the garlic continues to get stronger as it sits. A couple of years ago I went back to buying heads of garlic and chopping it up fresh for each use. Much better!

Tomato paste is another story. I do love the paste in the tube. It annoys me to open a can of paste for just 2 Tablespoons and then using up a storage container to store the remainder in and hoping I get to it before it goes off.

Old 08-18-2013, 03:24 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,509,133 times
This last tube of Amore was in the fridge for more than a year, and it didn't get any stronger.

I love fresh garlic too, but there are some dishes that don't cook, or don't cook long enough to get the garlic done. I hate to dirty a pan just sauteeing up enough garlic for a side dish, or a salad or something.

Old 08-18-2013, 03:30 PM

19,448 posts, read 27,884,744 times
Two of my favorite kitchen tools (aka kitchen toys):

The best garlic press ever made - Zyliss

For when you need a lot of garlic (works equally well on ginger!) - Garlic Twist

Seriously, I hardly ever mince the stuff by hand anymore. Beat up my knives too much, and these two cheap things work great!

Old 08-22-2013, 09:59 PM

939 posts, read 789,691 times
I use a food microplane/zester for garlic paste. Placing a piece of parchment paper between the mp and the garlic helps prevent the garlic from sticking to it. Putting the peeled cloves in the freezer for fifteen or so minutes works even better.
Zesting peeled ginger that's been in the freezer for fifteen or so minutes really works like a charm.

Old 08-22-2013, 10:13 PM

939 posts, read 789,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdarocks View Post

...Tomato paste is another story. I do love the paste in the tube. It annoys me to open a can of paste for just 2 Tablespoons and then using up a storage container to store the remainder in and hoping I get to it before it goes off.
Tube is nice.
I normally remove both ends off a 6oz. can though, push the perfectly round loaf out, slice off what I need, put the rest in a baggie (adding a little olive oil is optional) and freeze. You can also slice-up the remainder in single-size servings/baggies as well.

Old 08-24-2013, 01:10 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,233,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdarocks View Post
Tomato paste is another story. I do love the paste in the tube. It annoys me to open a can of paste for just 2 Tablespoons and then using up a storage container to store the remainder in and hoping I get to it before it goes off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by noregon98 View Post
I normally remove both ends off a 6oz. can though, push the perfectly round loaf out, slice off what I need, put the rest in a baggie (adding a little olive oil is optional) and freeze. You can also slice-up the remainder in single-size servings/baggies as well.
I separate leftover tomato paste into 2 Tbsp. portions and put them into an ice cube tray. Once the cubes freeze, I combine them all into a freezer bag. That way when I have a recipe calling for a specific quantity, I can easily pull out what I need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink