Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 11:14 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I put 5 spice in my oatmeal. Or to make spiced candied nuts. Even my picky parents liked my pecan syrup with 5 spice on waffles and french toast. It is awesome for sweet items as well, a great alternative to pumpkin pie spice.

I think I will try this with garam masala next.

I am still trying to find more ways to use tumeric...... it is supposed to be good for inflammation, but I have left it for indian dishes only so far.
Check out this cookbook:

True Food: Seasonal, Sustainable, Simple, Pure: Andrew Weil, Sam Fox, Michael Stebner: 9780316129411: Amazon.com: Books

This is actually the impetus to my whole spice cabinet project. I saw this author on TV recently and he wa talking about how good for us all these spices used in Indian, Asian, Mexican and Middle Eastern foods are, and he is also really into natural, whole foods with minimal processing and heat.

Anyway, I just got the book about two weeks ago and have made several recipes from it, and WOW - they are TERRIFIC. Turmeric is in a lot of them, by the way, as well as 5 spice and garam masala, chili powders, misos, vinegars, oils, etc.

I am definitely going to try out your 5 spice ideas! THANK YOU!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 12:43 PM

454 posts, read 793,947 times
wow that looks great! a place for everything and everything in it's place

my "spice cabinet" is a joke.... use the Mrs. Dash mixed spices so those plus a tin/bottle of cinnamon, nutmeg, paprika, vanilla, baking powder, pepper flakes... all i have is a maximum of 10 jars/bottles on a shelf.

although i did find an old container of salt buried behind some bowls... LOL the date on there was 1992!!! TOSS !!

**and yeah! i want that lovely tea kettle and cute tiny lamp!

Old 08-30-2013, 01:25 PM

32,944 posts, read 3,929,561 times
I have spice drawers and I love, love, love them. The three drawers across the top under the counter are for the spices. Since we had to gut the kitchen in the house we're in right now I got to have my ideal, dream, spice storage. I've had all the rest, but the drawers are the best, FOR ME ANYWAY! Did I mention how much I love them?!

Old 08-30-2013, 01:37 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,599,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geebabe View Post
I have spice drawers and I love, love, love them. The three drawers across the top under the counter are for the spices. Since we had to gut the kitchen in the house we're in right now I got to have my ideal, dream, spice storage. I've had all the rest, but the drawers are the best, FOR ME ANYWAY! Did I mention how much I love them?!
When I was growing up my mom had a graded lazy susan installed with the new cabinets. She didn't place overhead but put it in a floor level cabinet. All you had to do is spin to find your spices and as she got older that was the best location for her to get to them.

Old 08-30-2013, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geebabe View Post
I've seen that done before and I really like that option as well. If I had the drawer space, I'd probably do it that way. However, I am somehow short on drawers and long on cabinets - go figure!

But if you have the drawer space (for 60 spices and then all the other blends and little bags, etc -OK, I do have a lot of that stuff!), I think this is the most ideal solution of all. Dark, cool place, you don't have to move things to other jars, easy to read...it's a great option.

Old 08-30-2013, 02:24 PM

1,566 posts, read 2,159,916 times
Kathryn,

how beautiful! Great job!! Your post is such perfect timing as we were just discussing how we need to do something about our spice collection. I am a total spice junkie! I have 2 carousals, one side of my counter is taken up near the stove (soooo not ideal) and I also have a drawer full and a full cupboard. I need to really organize and it's a project I'm going to start very soon. So thank you for sharing your efforts! I was really not looking forward to my project but you've inspired me! YAY

Old 08-30-2013, 07:28 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times
Kathryn, you are obviously a gourmet chef.

When are you inviting all of us over for dinner?

Old 08-30-2013, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Kathryn, you are obviously a gourmet chef.

When are you inviting all of us over for dinner?
Ummmm, let me, ummmmm, like uhhhh, check that crazy calendar of mine....I'll get back with ya!

Old 08-30-2013, 08:02 PM

726 posts, read 1,229,543 times
The only draw back is they are exposed to light.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:04 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,237,589 times
So right! We are really so fortunate and affluent. I really like what you've done!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink