Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 07:08 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,015,581 times

Advertisements

Are Chinese chicken nuggets smaller than the rest? That's the story, or so I've been told.

Old 09-06-2013, 07:17 PM

2,294 posts, read 3,429,640 times
Part and parcel of this problem is that the younger generation don't know how to cook real food, they have grown up on fast and over processed food so when given the choice they would rather opt for the ready made option.
Some time ago I worked for a company that had an acre of land given to growing vegetables for the local Manna food pantry, twice a week we would take bushels of fresh produce to the store. Eventually one of the organisers said they couldn't take any more of our vegetables as they weren't being taken and so were going rotten. When we polled the folks who used the pantry we were amazed to find that even the 30 something adults weren't interested in the produce because they had no idea how to cook it, the following week we set up a small kitchen area and held classes on how to cook vegetables.

Old 09-06-2013, 10:11 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,668,808 times
Hey, I'll be glad to have fresh veggies! I try to grow some on my small patio but I don't get much so we support our local farmers. Sadly, in California, china has put our local garlic growers out of business.

Shopping Hint: When buying garlic, be sure the root hairs are attached to the bottom of the bulb as the ones from china have them removed to reduce fungus.

My husband's former boss' wife expressed her displeasure with me for liking to cook for my husband. She is a realtor so I guess her priority is commissions, but mine is taking care of my family. ( No, we won't be listing with her - ever! ) I buy organic chicken and make my own nuggets, or what ever, instead of going to a fast food place.

We need to protest to our representatives and close our wallets! If they can't make a profit, it will go away. Marketing 101

Old 09-06-2013, 11:38 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
I had a chicken nugget once, it reminded me of a tennis shoe sole. Pass, no matter where the are made.
I won't even buy pet food made with products from China!

Old 09-07-2013, 06:09 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,225,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
What we need is a more powerful Consumer Protection Agency that will fight for us and push for new regulations, better food inspections, labeling laws and such. Powerful enough to get things done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
Hey, I'll be glad to have fresh veggies! I try to grow some on my small patio but I don't get much so we support our local farmers. Sadly, in California, china has put our local garlic growers out of business.
We need to protest to our representatives and close our wallets! If they can't make a profit, it will go away. Marketing 101
^^^ and in regard to some other posts; Yes, I have written companies and contacted representatives
and congressmen only to get a generic response.
Yes, some people are fortunate to be able to grow their own but they are assuming we all own homes,
have a patio with sun or a suitable climate to grow the vegetables and fruits we want. Also, not all towns
have the options that some posters have suggested.

Old 09-07-2013, 06:26 AM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,391,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
So true ..so true! Sadly our government won't help by forcing better product labeling. Country of origin should be printed in large bold letters on all food products (at a minimum).

This should be the law!

Old 09-07-2013, 06:27 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I had a chicken nugget once, it reminded me of a tennis shoe sole. Pass, no matter where the are made.
I won't even buy pet food made with products from China!
great way to explain how they taste, though I have never eaten a tennis shoe sole. We have bought them once, I was doing fish and chips and wanted to add some chicken tenders, first and last time. I usually buy whole chickens and cut them up, cook them whole sometimes or I buy breasts and thighs and always or almost always buy Tysons, which, of course the company is headquartered only a few miles from here.

Old 09-07-2013, 09:46 AM

61,722 posts, read 87,123,005 times
I think, I am mostly concerned that we will send them US chicken, and get processed Chinese chicken back. And I am sure, as soon the chicken processing starts, we will get a lot of different processed chicken products, not only nuggets.
With so little oversight and inspection, and no labeling laws - who will ever know?

I was told that if a product was made or raised/grown in the USA, then it does NOT require "Country of origin/ Made in" labeling. But most people are afraid to buy products without label, because they think it was made somewhere in Asia.
Common sense would be to label all US made products as such (and boost the sales, winning consumers confidence), not omitting it because the laws permit so.

Last edited by elnina; 09-07-2013 at 09:56 AM..

Old 09-07-2013, 10:36 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,188,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
^^^ and in regard to some other posts; Yes, I have written companies and contacted representatives
and congressmen only to get a generic response.
Yes, some people are fortunate to be able to grow their own but they are assuming we all own homes,
have a patio with sun or a suitable climate to grow the vegetables and fruits we want. Also, not all towns
have the options that some posters have suggested.
There are local farmer's markets you can buy from ask to come to their local farm to see that the produce is grown there. Then ask if you can buy produce from them weekly for exchange you give them cash up front or weekly as an investment into their garden. They plant, grow, pick and maybe deliver weekly to you in the growing seasons. Every county in America has farmers of some kind whether that is a back yard farmer or one that plants 10,000 acres Co-ops use to be the way of life for many. Now days I guess this is to much to do it is easier to run to the grocery store and get chemically modified produce that makes each look perfectly shaped. So when folks see a tomato, as an example, that isn't perfectly round or has a blemish on it at the farmer's market they bypass it as being bad. Those are the ones I buy because they are usually grown from heirloom seeds (not modified from generations past). Each family knows what they feel comfortable feeding your family I don't feel comfortable feeding chemically preserved prepared foods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I think, I am mostly concerned that we will send them US chicken, and get processed Chinese chicken back. And I am sure, as soon the chicken processing starts, we will get a lot of different processed chicken products, not only nuggets.
With so little oversight and inspection, and no labeling laws - who will ever know?

I was told that if a product was made or raised/grown in the USA, then it does NOT require "Country of origin/ Made in" labeling. But most people are afraid to buy products without label, because they think it was made somewhere in Asia.
Common sense would be to label all US made products as such (and boost the sales, winning consumers confidence), not omitting it because the laws permit so.
Know how they will get around that labeling law? Educating folks that if it doesn't say what country of origin it is made in the USA. However, then they won't tell you that the USA company shipped it to China or any other country to be processed. Like somebody else just posted how will we know a USA chicken is the chicken China will process & send back.

On top of it all why aren't more consumers wondering how in the he** we can take a product ship it overseas to be processed, bring it back to sell here for a reduced price than we can grow, process, & sell? Americans don't care as long as they can get a product cheaper how or where it comes from. That is what foreign countries bank on when buying out USA companies! But Americans will yell, kick & scream about how our government has left us no sustainable wage paying jobs in the good ole USA.

Folks bottom line is it is more involved than which grocery store I can get canned corn cheaper at. Educating yourself on how food & other products really gets to your homes & how is what needs to happen in America.

Old 09-07-2013, 10:56 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,225,763 times
[quote=Jaxson;31311423]There are local farmer's markets you can buy from ask to come to their local farm to see that the produce is grown there. Then ask if you can buy produce from them weekly for exchange you give them cash up front or weekly as an investment into their garden. They plant, grow, pick and maybe deliver weekly to you in the growing seasons. Every county in America has farmers of some kind whether that is a back yard farmer or one that plants 10,000 acres Co-ops use to be the way of life for many. Now days I guess this is to much to do it is easier to run to the grocery store and get chemically modified produce that makes each look perfectly shaped. So when folks see a tomato, as an example, that isn't perfectly round or has a blemish on it at the farmer's market they bypass it as being bad. Those are the ones I buy because they are usually grown from heirloom seeds (not modified from generations past). Each family knows what they feel comfortable feeding your family I don't feel comfortable feeding chemically preserved prepared foods.

Here's a news flash........the only thing grown here is corn and soybeans, oh and hay. When I lived near
the Michigan border I had options not here. BTW, I worked full time, had 2 children and a home and
yes, I cooked everything from scratch and guess what - went to the farmers market and picked the
blemished fruits and vegetables - so you are preaching to the choir. Nice try.
I would have to drive over 70 miles to follow your bold advice in blue. Did it ever occur to you
that there are areas in the US that don't have options which you are blessed with? Like the desert.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink