Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 08:52 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,569,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
So true ..so true! Sadly our government won't help by forcing better product labeling. Country of origin should be printed in large bold letters on all food products (at a minimum).
We all need to demand this of our government. They won't do anything until people insist upon it. There's simply far too much money to be made, unfortunately. They'd rather rake in profits than concern themselves with people's health and well being.

Old 09-05-2013, 09:16 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,232,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
They will care when they get sick or die from eating their food or taking their medicine. Sadly, the resulting problems are pretty much hidden from the public view. I do miss the America I used to know; a country where people took pride in their work, misleading your neighbor was not an acceptable practice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
So true ..so true! Sadly our government won't help by forcing better product labeling. Country of origin should be printed in large bold letters on all food products (at a minimum).
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
We all need to demand this of our government. They won't do anything until people insist upon it. There's simply far too much money to be made, unfortunately. They'd rather rake in profits than concern themselves with people's health and well being.
Yes, yes and yes. All my attempts to be cautious don't help either when it comes to the medications -
even when they are US companies, since they outsource abroad to make them, but that's a whole other
topic. I agree Heidi60, the USA made so many things, we were innovative, what we used to make
lasted, we sent a man to the moon, but heaven forbid we monitor the safety of our food.

Here's a great quote from Studs Terkel "We are living in the United States of Alzheimers. A whole country
has lost its memory. When it can't remember yesterday, a country forgets what it once wanted to be."

Old 09-05-2013, 11:48 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,232,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
Too bad the majority of us on this topic live so far apart - it would be worth a try to at least start
demanding something and informing others out there.

Old 09-06-2013, 03:04 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,251,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
Sadly, someone is buying that crap or it wouldn't continue.
who sells more groceries than anyone else in this country??
yep, its wal-mart

people like cheap...

Old 09-06-2013, 03:08 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,243,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I guess it isn't an issue since my family won't eat chicken nuggets.

Strict rule in this household, though: no food from China.

No fruits, no veggies, no processed foods, no dog treats.
Absolutely.

No foodstuffs from Asia period. Lots of seafood is now being imported from Asia... Very scary.

Old 09-06-2013, 03:09 AM

61,804 posts, read 87,269,132 times
^^^ and Americans are proud that their food is so cheap ( yes! cheaper than anywhere else ), completely forgetting that "cheap" has no quality - it's just a cheap Chinese crap and plastic food.

BTW:
Quote:
Strict rule in this household, though: no food from China.
"No food from China" means you grow and process everything yourself, just make sure that the seeds are not from China...

Old 09-06-2013, 03:11 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,243,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
who sells more groceries than anyone else in this country??
yep, its wal-mart

people like cheap...
And lots of food at Walmart originates and/or processed in Asia. I do not buy any foodstuff from Walmart. In addition to origin, I do not think Walmart's quality control is up to par in its grocery section either. All of the food sections I've seen in Walmarts have been filthy.

Old 09-06-2013, 03:19 AM

Walmart is known to fight for the absolutely lowest price possible. They pressure their vendors to make it happen. So, they get only poorest quality. Profit is #1, and that's the only thing they care about. You get what you pay for...

Old 09-06-2013, 03:23 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,251,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattOTAlex View Post
And lots of food at Walmart originates and/or processed in Asia. I do not buy any foodstuff from Walmart. In addition to origin, I do not think Walmart's quality control is up to par in its grocery section either. All of the food sections I've seen in Walmarts have been filthy.
good points, and you may be right
however, walmart now sells twice as much groceries than the number one traditional supermarket in this country

most everyone i know does not shop at walmart for groceries, but they sell more than anyone else.

Old 09-06-2013, 03:27 AM

You just don't know people who shop there. Anytime I pass Walmart, I see their parking lot full of cars...
There are many poor/uneducated/uninformed/and those who don't care people who shop there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink