Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 10:29 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Butter. Small amounts of lard (from rendered smoked bacon, no less). Shmaltz. They add so much to a dish to make them tasty. I've found that I rarely use any added salt, these days. I like food that doesn't' taste like salt. These days, it seems like any kind of meat that I get tastes like it's been salted.

I wonder if eggs are safe to eat this week. Good for you. Bad for you. Good again. Bad again. Meh, whatever
I eat eggs almost every day. I also eat and cook with butter. Not huge globs of it, and not every single day. My cholesterol is not high.

I also drink milk. I love these people who start quivering and shrieking "BUT BUT BUT OTHER ANIMALS don't drink milk into adulthood and/or milk from other species SO OBVIOUSLY WE SHOULD NOT EITHER!!!!"

Well, other animals don't cook their food or grow their own food, either, so we should stop doing that, too? If you have an intolerance for dairy products--here's a thought--don't eat them. But don't swoon in horror and disgust because I like milk and cheese. People have been eating dairy products for millenia. It's a food source for humans and has been for a loooong time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2013, 10:44 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
I rarely eat eggs. I just don't like the texture. My husband orders eggs over easy when we eat out and the sight of that oozing yellow stuff makes me gag! But I have no problem using them in my baking.

We use butter only. I haven't bought margarine in 3 decades!

It's only lately I've started to buy whole milk and half and half for recipes. The difference is remarkable when I was used to using 2% milk for sauces and in my morning tea but I don't think I could handle drinking a glass of whole milk anymore.

My problem is not what I eat- rarely anything processed- but how much I eat. If there is a little dab left in the pan I end up eating it rather than putting it in the fridge or throwing it away.

Old 09-21-2013, 11:29 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,137,018 times
an old, dirty spatchula.

Old 09-21-2013, 12:02 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,570,751 times
Bacon and butter.
I only buy uncured bacon without nitrates/nitrites. I don't think a strip or two of bacon now and then makes much of a difference, and I use the bacon fat to make other dishes for my Hungarian husband.
And butter is just lovely.
I'd like to think that there is no off-limit food as long as it is a real food. I wish our diet could be all real food, and am slowly working my way there.

Old 09-21-2013, 03:07 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,153,320 times
There is no such thing as bad food, so I pay no attention to the "OMG arsenic in rice and saturated fats in bacon and cholesterol in eggs and whatever they're telling us about coffee these days" and other alarmists.

There is such a thing as a bad diet. Don't eat bacon, meat, hamburgers, butter, soda, fast food, processed food, whatever in large amounts every day. That is bad. Eat that stuff occasionally but balance it out with legumes, fruit, vegetables and non-processed food.

I really don't worry about any of that and in fact will not on principle buy low fat bacon, margarine, or anything labeled low fat or low cholesterol or sugar free or any of that nonsense that has 1,000 ingredients listed on a product sticker.

Eat real food as much as possible, along with plenty of fresh and fiber. Eat bacon and steak and processed food etc occasionally. Because it's tasty, or the recipe calls for it, or it's convenient.

Old 09-21-2013, 03:30 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
There is no such thing as bad food, so I pay no attention to the "OMG arsenic in rice and saturated fats in bacon and cholesterol in eggs and whatever they're telling us about coffee these days" and other alarmists.

There is such a thing as a bad diet. Don't eat bacon, meat, hamburgers, butter, soda, fast food, processed food, whatever in large amounts every day. That is bad. Eat that stuff occasionally but balance it out with legumes, fruit, vegetables and non-processed food.

I really don't worry about any of that and in fact will not on principle buy low fat bacon, margarine, or anything labeled low fat or low cholesterol or sugar free or any of that nonsense that has 1,000 ingredients listed on a product sticker.

Eat real food as much as possible, along with plenty of fresh and fiber. Eat bacon and steak and processed food etc occasionally. Because it's tasty, or the recipe calls for it, or it's convenient.
Hear, hear. I won't either. I had this friend who would always buy low-fat this or that (and she was ALWAYS overweight anyway, so why bother?) and I asked her one day what they replace the fat with in whatever low-fat nasty thing she was eating. She looked surprised and said that her sister asked her the same thing. I said, well, yes, if they are taking the fat out of, say, a brownie, what are they putting in there for moisture in its place? She said she didn't know, but even worse, she said it never even occurred to her to ask the question.

Old 09-21-2013, 05:15 PM

726 posts, read 1,228,673 times
Margarine is but one molecule away from being plastic!

Nature, natural, fresh is the only way.

Old 09-22-2013, 03:23 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodmuse View Post

you are ONE gene away from being a chimp

those chimps arent all that friendly either,,,, in the wild- they will hunt and rip apart , eat other monkeys..

Old 09-22-2013, 07:36 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,827,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodmuse View Post

Water is "one molecule away" from being explosive hydrogen gas.

Old 09-24-2013, 08:11 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
I can't begin to count the foods we eat that are not supposed to be eaten today, but by tomorrow they will be on the top 10 healthy list. I think most have been mentioned. Does anyone realize how much sugar and fat our relatives were eating just 50 to 75 years ago? Many of them lived to be in their 80s and 90s. At least ours have. The secret is: they were not couch potatoes. They also didn't have all kinds of processed foods. I am not going to lecture anyone on processed foods, We all eat them from time to time. I do get a little concerned when I see grossly overweight kids drinking soda and eating all kinds of chips or you see them in the stores, with parents and the carts are filled with junk food. But this is for a different thread I think.
I do use butter, I tried to flip back to margarine not long ago, I couldn't wait to get rid of the crap. We love our eggs, eat shell fish and I do fry some foods, not a lot but some. I rarely use old fashion lard, but will, when making pies. That is when I make my own crust which isn't as often now as it was a few years ago. I use 1/2 and 1/2 and sometimes cream for sauces when I am doing a special meal. We love our fruit salad with a little brandy and 1/2 and 1/2 over it. I will say, we use very little sugar, but that isn't simply for health reasons, we just are not crazy of sweet things, but I make up for it with salt. We don't eat a lunch meat, partly because we are not crazy over it. We do eat brats, hot dogs, I use real mayo and rarely get anything that is fat reduced. If the fat is gone, something else has been added that will kill us today. Now if we don't die of what it is today, we will die from eating too many fresh veggies tomorrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink