Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 04:03 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times

Advertisements

This is more for people who live in a house with multiple people... I buy food, put it in the fridge, plan meals, look forthe food, and it is GONE! This hhappens all the time. Same for my SO, he was searching for Ramen, he knew he bought some, and wondered where I put it, (I never saw it).

It is not a big deal. There is plenty of food in our home, usually healthy things are always abundant. We never run out of kale or spinach. Homemade chocolate chip cookies, last about a day. Leftover roast beef, less than a day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2013, 05:17 PM

1,566 posts, read 2,159,916 times
My Fiance is notorious for this. My DD and I have taken to hiding food before because he will eat it all. He's gotten better after we've talked to him about it. To me it's food....there's always plenty more coming. But when DD is looking forward to a special snack or treat and it's just gone, it's disappointing. Again, though, he's waaaaay better about it now.

Speaking of homemade cookies, I made his favorite batch last week (white chocolate chip/macadamia nut) and they lasted longer than a day...he was very proud of that fact. Although I told him - this time you are allowed to eat as many as you want! as I made them specifically per his request. Tonight I am making DD's favorite, so hopefully he'll do the same thing again. I don't mind him eating whatever he wants, but it is always nice to save a little for the rest of us!

Old 10-18-2013, 02:42 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
This is more for people who live in a house with multiple people... I buy food, put it in the fridge, plan meals, look forthe food, and it is GONE! This hhappens all the time. Same for my SO, he was searching for Ramen, he knew he bought some, and wondered where I put it, (I never saw it).

It is not a big deal. There is plenty of food in our home, usually healthy things are always abundant. We never run out of kale or spinach. Homemade chocolate chip cookies, last about a day. Leftover roast beef, less than a day.
the cookies and meat, seem to disappear?? i had to laugh at this, same thing happened at our house...

home made choc chip cookies,,is one of my all time favs, they go the quickest,,,ice cream seems to vanish too

Old 10-18-2013, 06:22 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
Two sporto teens and college (sheesh I wish she would finish) age kid that visits often disappearing food is a minute to minute reality in our home.

"Honey where is the berry pie you made yesterday?"

"Oh sorry the girls had a study party with a few friends last night"

Old 10-19-2013, 07:13 AM

4,885 posts, read 7,289,856 times
I grew up in a household with a step father who would buy all kinds of sweet treats, put them on the shelf, and get mad because we (the kids) ate them. We would get punished for eating his treats. When I had my own family everything on the shelf was first come first serve. If it was there you could eat it. If I bought something for special use, I would put it away in another location.

Old 10-19-2013, 08:49 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
No one gets in trouble for eating in our home. Food is there to eat. I had the same thing happen to me as a child...

It is just problematic, in our home, more so because poor SO is blind, and thinks he put something away, goes to look for it, someone ate it, and he can't find it.

I tell him, "Look, there is plenty of spinach.". He is not amused.

Maybe it is just living in a home where teens, college kids wander in and out...food disappears at an exponential rate.

Old 10-19-2013, 08:58 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,285,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey teach View Post
I grew up in a household with a step father who would buy all kinds of sweet treats, put them on the shelf, and get mad because we (the kids) ate them. We would get punished for eating his treats. When I had my own family everything on the shelf was first come first serve. If it was there you could eat it. If I bought something for special use, I would put it away in another location.
Yup, same here. There were "special" foods for my mom, like orange juice, cottage cheese, Cokes, candy ... Of course, mom shared them with us. It took him years to get over that food segregation thing.

In our house, you eat what you want. If you eat a recipe ingredient, you're going out to buy a replacement. Of course, it's just me & DH sharing the food.

Old 10-19-2013, 12:55 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
When my son left home, I was flabbergasted how many cookies the chocolate chip cookie recipe made. I'd been making the double recipe for years and never had more than 6 cookies left by the time I turned the oven off.

If I have a special ingredient that I need for a recipe, I tell the other person in the house and it will still be there when I need it. If I don't say anything and it is something yummy, it won't be there.

If I buy tortilla chips for nachos, I buy two bags and put in a request to have one bag left to make nachos with. That works OK around my household.

Old 10-19-2013, 12:58 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
When my son left home, I was flabbergasted how many cookies the chocolate chip cookie recipe made. I'd been making the double recipe for years and never had more than 6 cookies left by the time I turned the oven off.

If I have a special ingredient that I need for a recipe, I tell the other person in the house and it will still be there when I need it. If I don't say anything and it is something yummy, it won't be there.

If I buy tortilla chips for nachos, I buy two bags and put in a request to have one bag left to make nachos with. That works OK around my household.
Two-three weeks out of the summer our teens are gone at camps and vacations with thier friends. The amount of food left in the fridge is amazing.

Old 10-19-2013, 02:42 PM

20,936 posts, read 28,432,613 times
Actually it's two of us and sometimes when there is leftovers hubby eats it all . I made fried rice last night and spring rolls. He ate the rest for lunch and though we are going out tonight to eat I was hoping for leftovers for tomorrow. I guess that wasn't happening. I won't say how much he ate, but it was more than he should.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink