Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 01:36 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,764,351 times

Advertisements

There is something so special about going out to the garden everyday to see what can be harvested and prepared for meals that day. It is akin to grocery shopping everyday but 1000 times more pleasurable and spiritual (if you will).

I foresee a large reduction in fresh vegetables. I have gotten used to eating organic from my garden and want to continue that trend in the grocery market. Just not sure the pocketbook will be able to keep up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2013, 01:43 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,824,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturen View Post
There is something so special about going out to the garden everyday to see what can be harvested and prepared for meals that day. It is akin to grocery shopping everyday but 1000 times more pleasurable and spiritual (if you will).

I foresee a large reduction in fresh vegetables. I have gotten used to eating organic from my garden and want to continue that trend in the grocery market. Just not sure the pocketbook will be able to keep up.
Psst. greenhouse! I had one and I was able to garden up till almost December. And start it up again in March. (loved it)

Old 10-26-2013, 01:55 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,764,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Psst. greenhouse! I had one and I was able to garden up till almost December. And start it up again in March. (loved it)
Won't work here in the winters with temperatures for several days below -40. The best I can do is grow my herbs indoors.

Old 10-26-2013, 01:58 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Nothing changes here no matter what the season.

Old 10-26-2013, 02:25 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,824,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturen View Post
Won't work here in the winters with temperatures for several days below -40. The best I can do is grow my herbs indoors.
Ooh that's cold, here it barely gets to 10 degrees.

Today I am making hearty beef pastries with au jus "dip". Something I wouldn't make in the summer. I noticed I will have a lot more bread in Winter too.

Old 10-26-2013, 04:47 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
stews, chowdas, boiled dinners with picnic hams or corned beef..
more beef roasts in the crock pot, more roasting chickens, more roast pork,

more sausage, more venison (moose or deer)

the house smells great with a turkey roasting, or a roast chicken/pork
it is comforting on a cold snowy day..
especially when you have to go outside in the cold and shovel snow

Old 10-26-2013, 05:09 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
I generally eat cold or room temperature food in the summer, unless it's grilled. I don't make soups or stews in the summer, unless it's gazpacho, and I do most of my cooking outside. If I have to bake something, I try to use the tabletop oven whenever possible.

In the winter, I'll roast turkeys, bake all day, make soups and stews, etc.

Old 10-26-2013, 06:08 PM

3,663 posts, read 8,666,425 times
Yes, I bake more and cook soups, stews and more hearty meals. The summer is for grilling and lighter foods.

Old 10-26-2013, 07:11 PM

1,484 posts, read 2,259,327 times
I live in the southwest, summer is hot. I'd love to not do heavy, hot meals but my husband insists on it. He has to have meat with every meal, and while I'd be happy with salads and light meals (too hot to cook!) he has to have his large meals with meat and starch. I don't know how he does it. I refuse to use the oven, so it's crock pot, toaster oven, or he can grill it then.

The winter isn't much, but I might make a crock pot roast or a chili for him. I still don't do much in the way of "hearty" though because I am not into eating that heavy even in the winter. DH says soups aren't filling enough for him either. That boy is hard to keep fed I swear, even if you put meat into it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink