Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How difficult would it be to give up meat for life?
I cannot live without meat so life as I know it would be over. 31 23.85%
It would be a struggle, but i could manage. 53 40.77%
Meh. Take it or leave it. 28 21.54%
I don't eat meat now, so no sweat. 18 13.85%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 02:48 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,258,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
I consider seafood meat. I eat quite a bit of it yum! I could easily be a "pescatarian" if that didn't count as meat in this thread.
I had a doctor who did not count fish as meat. Go figure!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2013, 06:32 PM

99 posts, read 190,197 times
I could give up meat for a few days a week but probably never completely or permanently. I already don't eat land animal meat every day and have for years, although most of those days that I don't I'll have seafood (usually fish) instead.

I have a high caloric intake and a high metabolism, and meat helps me fulfill my energy needs and retain muscle (which I tend to lose easily). I also enjoy the taste of meat.

If I did go several days a week without it, it's likely that I would sometimes end up eating just as much meat over the course of the days that I did allow myself to eat it as I would if I spread out my intake, especially if I consumed that meat outside of the house. But I think the net effect would still be that I ate less meat overall.

It might sound a bit direct, but I feel that I appreciate food too much to ever restrict my diet in the way that full-time vegetarians, vegans, and gluten-free folks do. I do enjoy vegetarian and vegan food. However, I also love eating so much more than just that. In fact, I can't think of anything I've eaten that I really dislike. Meat is just one of those things that makes food interesting. I can understand the moral quandaries that people have with the consumption of meat, but vegetarians only make up 5% of the U.S. population and vegans only make up 2%; those numbers haven't changed over the past 15 years. I think if we want to make a difference in health and the environment, we can all consume less meat than we do now. But I don't think that giving up meat entirely is realistically feasible or beneficial for many folks, which is why non-meat-eaters are such a small percentage of the population.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:48 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,014,969 times
I think that's why places serve fish specials on Friday.

That being said I had to have some fish today and went to the store after work Fried catfish yum!

Old 10-29-2013, 08:06 PM

317 posts, read 474,917 times
Mentally, I would actually really like to stop eating meat and could do so without a second thought. In fact, I don't eat much meat now and regularly go 4 and 5 days a week without eating any.

Physically, however, giving up meat is proving to be pretty much impossible. I've tried on several occasions and, after about three weeks, always get really sick and weak. I don't know what I'm doing wrong! Maybe nothing. Maybe my body just needs those small, occasional shots of animal protein.

Old 10-29-2013, 08:44 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,014,969 times
If you don't eat animal protein you have to make sure you get it elsewhere.

I have veggie/vegan friends and they have to eat enough:

quinoa, peas, peanut butter, avocado, chickpeas, oats, tofu, beans, brown rice, etc.

Old 10-29-2013, 09:49 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,373,361 times
Voted that I would not be able to give up meat.
I'm a definite carnivore, and I cannot stand to eat fruit/veg or much else.
I do sugar, dairy, carbohydrates and meat-
I don't care if that's deemed unhealthy, I'm a pleasure-based creature, guided by my senses.

Old 10-30-2013, 11:40 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,354,876 times
I've eaten enough vegan/vegetarian meals (DH's parents and a few family members are vegan/vegetarian). Some were good, some not so, and some down right nasty. I've endured "tofu turkey" on Thanksgiving, "lentil burgers", "vegan" chili, and that Worthington and Loma Linda "crap in a can" frankenmeat that defies description. That stuff just DOES NOT taste good to me. Pasta is all right, but I couldn't eat it every day without getting sick of it, and I don't like vegetables enough to fill the void with them.

DH was raised his first 18 years vegetarian/vegan. He says he much prefers eating meat and could never go back to eating that way again.

Old 10-30-2013, 11:43 AM

2,222 posts, read 3,602,406 times
I would shrivel up and die, like if they kept feeding tofu to a captive lion.

Old 10-30-2013, 11:48 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,748,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
I had a doctor who did not count fish as meat. Go figure!

Neither do some religions.

Old 10-30-2013, 11:53 AM

526 posts, read 899,169 times
when DH/I worked different shifts, I ate mostly meatless when alone cuz it was cheaper. I kinda miss my 5 day/wk vegetarian diet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink