Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How difficult would it be to give up meat for life?
I cannot live without meat so life as I know it would be over. 31 23.85%
It would be a struggle, but i could manage. 53 40.77%
Meh. Take it or leave it. 28 21.54%
I don't eat meat now, so no sweat. 18 13.85%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 01:16 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,259,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
No offense but you don't need meat to get sufficient protein. Have your meat and enjoy but the protein defense just doesn't hold water.
I'll be sure and let my Physician who knows me and my disease that YOU, the armchair internet doctor has said I do NOT need meat for the protein.

Shall I have him contact you so you can tell him yourself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 01:36 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,232,757 times
I agree with most all the other posters on here,,

i wont give up meat, not only for health, or flavor reasons, i know hundreds of people, including my family in the food business, from farmers, butchers, and store owners,,,,, they'd be all out of jobs , if we didnt eat meat.

Old 10-28-2013, 01:42 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,850,284 times
Not to mention... if meat eaters didn't help keep down the numbers of animals there'd be little vegetation left for humans.

Old 10-28-2013, 01:47 AM

44,634 posts, read 61,638,098 times
SPAM it's what's good for you, breakfast, lunch, and dinner...

You Can Take My Meat When You Pry It From My Cold Dead Hands.

Old 10-28-2013, 01:57 AM

14,520 posts, read 8,769,802 times
Default If you HAD to, how difficult would it be to give up meat for the rest of your life?

I've done this and it was a little difficult at first, but given the situation I was highly motivated. Now, nearly ten years later the sight and especially the aroma of cooked meat is distasteful to me. I had not expected that.

I do eat fish and seafood, so these plus cheese & eggs are my main sources of protein. I also love nutmeats of various kinds, but I limit these because of caloric limitations.

I have an indoor-only cat and as she is an obligate carnivore, I feed her canned meat cat food and honestly that aroma is quite pungent. That's a little hard on me, but you know, we just need to do what's best for our feline creatures, don't we!

And yes, my decision and requirement about my own meatless regimen is for the rest of my life

Old 10-28-2013, 03:51 AM

1,161 posts, read 2,449,179 times
I only eat meat (including poultry and seafood) 3-4 times a week. The rest of our diet is produce/grain/dairy based. We eat a lot of quiches, savory tarts and vegetable/bean dishes with hearty bread. Meat has become an afterthought and when we do have meat it's usually just one ingredient in a larger dish rather than a standalone feature.

I do enjoy a good steak or lamb cutlets but if I had to become a complete vegetarian it wouldn't be too difficult nor would I miss the meat too much.

While most people do need meat as part of a balanced diet, we eat far too much meat these days. It's not essential to have meat three times a day, seven days a week and I'm not happy with the modern butchering process / factory farms for raising and slaughtering mass produced animals. The ethics of it does bother me as it's a far cry from the hunter of old stalking deer in the woods to feed his family or the once yearly butchering of the family's prized pig, for in those examples every bit of meat was used and used sparingly as the animal itself was an appreciated luxury and rarity.

When I buy meat I do my best to buy the best quality that I can find and I buy most of the poultry from a family owned farm where one can see the chickens running around in the fields.

Old 10-28-2013, 04:06 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,054,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I could not do it because of my health, meat is the best protein for me to consume with the auto immune disease I have.
I have Celiac Disease which is also an auto immune disease and I don't eat meat. I eat a gluten free diet. Once in a while. I eat salmon but I haven't had it in over a month. Other than that I eat no meat. I do a 5 to 6 mile hill climbing walk 4 times a week and am perfectly healthy and very active (I am 63). You don't need meat as a protein source in order to be healthy. I can certainly understand preferring meat as a protein source but again, it is not necessary in order to be healthy.

Old 10-28-2013, 04:08 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,252,976 times
I couldn't do it. I can manage meatless days once in a while but I love meat so much that I couldn't stop eating it completely, plus I'm very prone to anaemia.

Old 10-28-2013, 04:39 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,885,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
No offense but you don't need meat to get sufficient protein. Have your meat and enjoy but the protein defense just doesn't hold water.
Well, it kind of does if you can't/don't eat the other main sources of protein. According to this: Top 10 Foods Highest in Protein - excluding meats, there's fish, tofu, beans, eggs, diary, and nuts/seeds. I hate tofu, beans, eggs, and nuts/seeds and I'm lactose intolerant so really, the only protein alternative from meat for me is fish. Sure, if I HAD to eat the stuff I don't like to survive, I could, which is why I voted for "It would be a struggle, but I could manage". But frankly, if I were in a survival situation, I'd probably just be glad to get ANY food at all and I'd probably have bigger things to worry about than my protein intake. Human beings can and have survived for centuries without sufficient protein or general nutrition. Until the potato famine, many Irish survived mainly on potatoes. And for most colonists, their main source of protein was cheese. Meat was a luxury throughout many periods of history.

So yes, I agree that in a survival situation, everyone could survive without meat - many might be malnourished but they would likely be lacking other essential foods aside from meat too.

Old 10-28-2013, 04:48 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,547,343 times
I could live without it, but I don't want to. I just wish the slaughter houses were humane. The cruelty is just horrid in some. Harsher inspections and standards are absolutely needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink