Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 05:26 AM
MB2 MB2 started this thread

3,496 posts, read 9,436,352 times

Advertisements

I have to admit.....after years and years of slaving away in the kitchen for Thanksgiving, I really welcomed the idea my husband had......."Why don't we try to deep fry our Thanksgiving Turkey this year?"
*Sigh of relief*.....LOL
I have had MANY customers of mine RAVING about it...But, I never made one.
Any hints, suggestions, tips, warnings, recipes I can get from you guys????
Hopefully, I will not end up in the ER, or burn "da house down"....(tried that twice......LOL...with the grill.....LOL)

Last edited by MB2; 11-21-2007 at 06:33 AM.. Reason: edit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2007, 06:09 AM

Location: Boonies of Georgia ~~~~ nuttier than a squirrel turd !
1,950 posts, read 5,161,374 times
I am frying my turkey for the first time .
#1 OUTSIDE ! and away from the house/carport/garage

Cooking takes about 4 minutes a pound. I am excited not to have to spend the whole day babysitting the Turkey.
But then again, I have no choice

A Thanksgiving Day with no oven .................

Old 11-21-2007, 06:21 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,322,780 times
It makes the turkey great! But be very cautious of that hot oil! And it can be a bit messy if you're not careful. I'd NEVER do it in the house for sure. Ours came out juicy and tender just the way we like it. For a once in awhile thing it's good but I still like the traditional turkey cooking becasue I love the aroma in the house all day long on Thanksgiving!!

Old 11-21-2007, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theqbaby View Post
I am frying my turkey for the first time .
#1 OUTSIDE ! and away from the house/carport/garage

Cooking takes about 4 minutes a pound. I am excited not to have to spend the whole day babysitting the Turkey.
But then again, I have no choice

A Thanksgiving Day with no oven .................
You STILL have no working oven???
Wow....right around the holidays....bummer!
But look on the bright side....we are going to have a "hillbilly redneck" Thanksgiving this year...all the cooking mess is going to be OUTSIDE, and we are going to have plenty of beers, while we are in the turkey deep fry process....lol.
It sounds really, really good, and we can't wait to try it out.
There ya go, girl.........Improvise...and you are doing just that!!

Old 11-21-2007, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
It makes the turkey great! But be very cautious of that hot oil! And it can be a bit messy if you're not careful. I'd NEVER do it in the house for sure.
We are planning of placing the fryer on the lawn in the back yard.....
Good spot?
Didn't want to deal with fat oily grease stains on my patio floor....

Old 11-21-2007, 06:49 AM

We did it on our patio. I didn't want to take a chance of it tipping over on the lawn. I suppose if you have a good solid place to put it it would be ok. I don't remember getting the grease on the patio--it's been a while since we did the deep fat fry thing. Just remember the pot is heavy without the turkey---and with the turkey it is even heavier. Once you get that baby going you are not going to want to try to move it!! There should be some directions that come with it and they should say if cooking it on the lawn is safe. Hope it turns out great for you. Happy Thanksgiving!!

Old 11-21-2007, 06:53 AM

Location: Boonies of Georgia ~~~~ nuttier than a squirrel turd !
1,950 posts, read 5,161,374 times
From what I know and have witnessed...... you want that fryer a good distance from anything IN CASE there is a problem. Think FIRE, and place the fryer where it could be controlled if a fire started.

YES, I am still without an oven. 1 part came in yesterday, second part MAY come in today, and the repair man will come out if it does. So, we will not be having my special breads and pies as usual. Stuffing is also a challenge.

Any suggestions for stuffing that does not need to be baked????

It will be fine. It is just the 3 of us. 1st T-day in new home. We will make it special.
We are fortunate enough to have our home, land, health, dogs and each other.

THATS ENOUGH TO BE THANKFUL FOR !!!!!!!!

Old 11-21-2007, 07:13 AM

Do you have a bbq? If you do you can put the stuffing in a pan, cover it with foil and cook it on there. We've had to do that and it came out very good. Just like baking it. I agree about having the deep fryer a good distance from the house. We had a huge patio and our fryer was a good distance from anything that could burn. Thanksgiving is so much more then just about the foods...it's about family, health and being grateful---which theqbaby obviously is! You have a great Thanksgiving. Just look at this Thanksgiving as one more memory---your Thanksgiving without the oven and how you made it a great day anyhow!

Old 11-21-2007, 07:27 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,214,268 times
We are deepfrying our first turkey in FIVE years. We are finally out of an apartment and now have a yard where we can use the cooker. YIPEE!!!!!

My advice, first put your turkey in and fill the cooker with water so you know how much oil you are going to need to use. Then make sure you dry the cooker completely before adding the oil. If you do this first you will then know if you have enough oil.

We didn't do this the first time we used the cooker and then had to run all over town on Thanksgiving day looking for peanut oil. Yeah right, like anyone is open that carries bulk oil. We had to use 25 10 ounce bottles or so. It was a very costly mistake.

Definately use the cooker in the middle of the yard or your driveway in case of fire.

Good luck.

Old 11-21-2007, 10:10 AM

306 posts, read 1,243,579 times
I love fried turkey..would have done one this year....i was given a 24lb'er from work..so i end up fighting it in the oven...(we are doing our turkey day today due to work)..and i agree the oil is soooo expensive if u can find it..our area runs out early..

omg the moistness of a deep fried bird is WOW..i was real skeptical when i first heard of deep frying..for me it's hard to go back to an oven.......

hope yours come out great..watch that grease..it's heavier lifting than u think when u do the whole bird..
U must try it at least once.......man i wish i didn't wait so long to try one..i am HOOKED..LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink