Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 04:31 PM

48,115 posts, read 21,996,081 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't say "yuck" to your potato salad on Thanksgiving....because that would be rude. If you like it.....that doesn't hurt me in anyway. I feel the same about green bean casserole.....if hundred of thousands of Americans like it....its not "yuck". To me it is the height of rudeness to make disparaging comments about someone else's traditions. Viva la difference.

I am going to be serving Thanksgiving at an immigrant Community Center......and I know the caterers we hired will have plantains on the menu and lots of exotic fruit. I know the menu will be different.....and I am looking forward to it.

So if you look forward to butternut squash or marshmallow yam dishes, stove top stuffing or corn bread dressing, oysters or chestnuts in the dressing, peas and mushrooms or boiled onions, crown pork roast, turduchen or a venison roast, mashed potatoes or rice. I Wish You A Happy Thanksgiving and may you and your family be blessed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 05:13 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,461,254 times
Uh, OK, but don't think anyone is trying to be rude, that's not the purpose of the thread and there have been dishes mentioned that people dislike that I happen to enjoy the taste of. Says nothing bad about them or anyone's traditions, just says they don't like the dish. Not a big deal. I wouldn't ever go to someone's home and make disparaging remarks toward anything served, not that would be rude. Calling someone out on a fun hearted thread = my opinion of rude. I'm sorry if you couldn't take the thread for what it was meant, just light hearted posting on what dishes we don't look forward to being served during the season.

I don't judge people by their food choices, it's not a character analysis, but I can make the assumption one might have their priorities out of whack when picking battles.

Old 11-18-2013, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
Uh, OK, but don't think anyone is trying to be rude, that's not the purpose of the thread and there have been dishes mentioned that people dislike that I happen to enjoy the taste of. Says nothing bad about them or anyone's traditions, just says they don't like the dish. Not a big deal. I wouldn't ever go to someone's home and make disparaging remarks toward anything served, not that would be rude. Calling someone out on a fun hearted thread = my opinion of rude. I'm sorry if you couldn't take the thread for what it was meant, just light hearted posting on what dishes we don't look forward to being served during the season.

I don't judge people by their food choices, it's not a character analysis, but I can make the assumption one might have their priorities out of whack when picking battles.
I guess I am more sensitive.....than some.....to say "yuck" at someone else's favorite holiday food.....offends me.....I admit I might need to toughen my skin a bit but it just seems rude to me.

I love reading "what dishes others look forward to being served during the season." That was the spirit in which I joined in the discussion.

Anyway.....Happy Thanksgiving......and I am willing able and ready to step away with no hard feelings or character analysis.

I sincerely wish you a golden turkey, lump free gravy, succulent vegetables, delicious desserts and above all the company of friends or family and the fulfillment of holiday expectations.

Old 11-18-2013, 06:26 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,461,254 times
I sincerely wish you a golden turkey, lump free gravy, succulent vegetables, delicious desserts and above all the company of friends or family and the fulfillment of holiday expectations.[/quote]

Wishing you and yours the same.

Old 11-18-2013, 06:33 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,341,957 times
I am probably the only person who has never eaten green bean casserole. It just doesn't look good. I always make stuffing and we really don't eat it. I feel like it is expected that everyone have stuffing at Thanksgiving.

Old 11-18-2013, 07:13 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,889,499 times
Seriously lecturing anons for laughing about certain food traditions?

I guess this cook book would just about be banned by the PC police nowadays. The most treasured one in my collection from 25 years ago....even if I never made many of the recipes.

White Trash Cooking: 25th Anniversary Edition: Ernest Matthew Mickler: 9781607741879: Amazon.com: Books

Old 11-18-2013, 07:29 PM

I remember a relish tray with little sweet gherkin pickles, several types of green and black olives, and celery stuffed with peanut butter and Kraft pimento cheese and dates stuffed with almonds or peanut butter. A Gouda cheese on the cheese board, deviled eggs and a plate of squares of span and Velveeta cheese and sweet gherkin cross sections on tooth picks. Sweet Memories of Thanksgivings when my Mom and Dad were alive.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:52 PM

3,169 posts, read 5,162,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
I am probably the only person who has never eaten green bean casserole. It just doesn't look good. I always make stuffing and we really don't eat it. I feel like it is expected that everyone have stuffing at Thanksgiving.
Oh, it has never graced my mouth, either.

My mom always make potato salad for Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. It was definitely a part of my upbringing surrounding the holidays. I no longer make it because I seem to be the only person who like potato salad in my household.

Old 11-22-2013, 08:22 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,119,365 times
Sorry to ruin anybody's holiday cheer, but I don't really like ANY traditional part of the Thanksgiving dinner. I've had some OK stuffings, some OK gravies, all turkey tastes the same to me, but other than that, it's pretty much bound for rejection, except for my favorite side, the buns, unless the delegated doofus chooses Hawaiian Bread.

Still, I've never understood the whole eat-until-you're-stuffed mentality. If I'd choose a day of unlimited gluttony, it'd be to an Indian buffet that serves the food spicy, the desserts sweet, and the soft drinks by tap.

Thanksgiving is pretty much a lost holiday in my book, and one I will happily work if I can. The reason is traditionally we've had it on my father's side. His father died in late October. He (my dad) died in early October six years later. I was diagnosed with brain cancer three years later.

Old 11-24-2013, 09:11 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,346,279 times
green bean casserole - nastiest stuff ever. Green beans in any way but fresh or frozen are godawful though. I think the fact that they lose their crunch texture makes me kind of sick to eat them. When I was a child I HATED green vegetables, only to discover in college when I was cooking for myself, they were actually delicious when I purchased the frozen ones. NOT canned ones.

However, my sister makes a version w/fresh green beans and portobello mushrooms and cheese. I think the the recipe is on the side of a box of trader joes portobello mushroom soup (in a box). It is awesome.

Like some stuffing, hate the stuff that is just cooked gelatinous mess that is squished into a pan and burnt on the top and overly seasoned with sage.

Sweet potatoes, actually I like the whole potatoes, baked with just butter and maybe some cinnamon on the top best. Burned marshmallow does nothing for the taste of them. Although I did make whipped baked sweet potatoes one year with pecans and brown sugar on the top, they were good. But the plain old baked in the oven are WAY easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink