Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 06:06 AM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,521 posts, read 6,328,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backintheville2 View Post
We have gotten to a point where we just buy a couple pounds of sliced turkey breast from the Deli section (sliced on #2 for sandwiches later). My parents are no longer physically able to do all the cooking that they used to for Thanksgiving. So we take the easy way out since we do all like turkey and just have sliced turkey. And since they love turkey sandwiches, the leftovers make for some good sandwiches for the next few days. I do make the cornbread stuffing recipe they always made as well as a few other side dishes we like. It is now usually only the three of us, as my sister and her family usually go to my brother-in-law's family for Thanksgiving day.

Now that I think about it, last Thanksgiving day the three of us went to a local restaurant and had turkey, dressing and all of the trimmings you could possibly want. It was so good and it was nice going home and not having a messy kitchen to clean!
I havent tried sliced turkey other than lunch meat. Ill have to check it out. Im getting a rotissere turkey chest from the store for our later.

We are going to the Outlaws. I wish Mom was still here so we could go to her house and be just the three of us. But if BIL family is okay and they wouldnt mind a few extra maybe you could go there and spend the day with your sister and family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 09:41 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
My family love saying carc-ass. So yes we always cook turkey.

Hey Dad you done striping that Carc-ass so we can boil the carc-ass for some carc-ass soup.

Old 11-17-2013, 10:27 AM

92 posts, read 109,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowSoFlorida View Post
My grandfather didn't like turkey so my grandmother made a roasted chicken for him and a turkey for everyone else.
My Mom did the same because my Dad always said that turkey had a "twang" that he didn't like. I think I inherited his tastebuds because turkey isn't my favorite. I'll have a piece because it's tradition, but I don't really care for it.

Old 11-17-2013, 01:54 PM

18,759 posts, read 11,798,566 times
I make a turkey a couple of times a year. It's just the two of us but it freezes well for soup or sandwiches later on. Then there's home made turkey pot pie and hot turkey sandwiches. (That turkey sourdough sandwich sounds good to ows)

Old 11-17-2013, 02:12 PM

537 posts, read 740,324 times
It's funny but after my wife's scary anaphalaxis experience during our turkey feast a couple of years ago we've sworn off the turkey dinner thingie. I do miss the leftovers for sammiches, soup, and pot pies. Mostly, I miss leftover dressing. Mmmmmmmm!!

At this (middle-aged) point of my life, with family scattered to the winds, I actually look forward to what we can have for T-day that is NOT turkey. I just got a smoker so I'm thinking beef brisket. Maybe a Virginia smoked ham. Maybe cornish game hens. Maybe going out for sushi!

I think a lot of it depends upon family and social pressures. If you're hosting a small gathering of open-minded folks, something non-traditional could be great. On the other hand, if you're stuck doing T-day for the big family gathering you might be committed to doing the same-old-same-old.

Just a thought: If I were angsting over the turkey, I'd see if I could flatter the family chef into coming early and helping out. Here's a big hint: get an instant-read thermometer. No more guessing if the bird is done -- ever.

Old 11-17-2013, 05:55 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,816,044 times
We always have turkey and make turkey sandwiches, turkey tetrazzini, and the best thing is thing is the turkey soup.

Old 11-17-2013, 08:29 PM

238 posts, read 227,622 times
We have a big family thing, there are 3 types of turkey, ham, venison and brisket. Enough sides for vegans / vegetarians to find plenty to fill up on. Not everyone has to like the same things, and that's okay.

I personally love the taste of turkey, it is probably my favorite meat and I find it very, very versatile and relatively inexpensive so we have several during the year. I'm rather a priss (no, really) and don't do the "icky jobs" like pull the guts out or pick the bones or whatever, so since my family likes the benefits they do the things that squick me out like remove the guts and pick the bones etc and I make their soups and whatnot. It works for us.

Old 11-17-2013, 10:27 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
I really only cook/eat turkey once a year, so it doesn't bother me. We never have much by way of leftovers.

Old 11-18-2013, 12:18 AM

934 posts, read 1,128,895 times
I don't want to cook a turkey either. Even though I'm a dark meat gal, I may just get a turkey breast instead.

Old 11-18-2013, 05:16 PM

1,373 posts, read 2,958,405 times
Its the holidays make that turkey, no laziness LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink