Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 06:56 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet*Tea View Post
I usually get a Honey Baked Ham but this year decided to try the local grocery store's Christmas dinner special for $49.99. (Harris Teeter) Included is a 9 lb spiral Ham and 3 sides. I am a little apprehensive about it but we shall see.
is this all cooked, or is it a dinner basket with the fixins? (to be cooked)

if you do cook a spiral ham,,,be cautious of baking too long and being dried out,,,

id go about 12 mins per lb at 325- its smoked to begin with,,you are essentially just warming up

one of my in laws cooked a spiral ham, for a gathering her husband ask my advice before she put it in the oven, before i could say a word, his wife, said "i will use the instructions on the package, they should know"
she did just that and it was very dry
her son called it ham jerky and she was quite upset
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2013, 04:26 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
We are going to stuff the pork lion roast, so I am having the butcher butterfly it for me.
https://www.google.com/search?q=mari...ms_yECmVdaM%3A

Old 12-21-2013, 05:18 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,824,033 times
Making Beef Wellington and I did preorder the filet roast. I like it trimmed to the hilt. I usually pre-order the rib roast if I make it as I like the middle part of the whole rib roast. (I can't remember the name now! The cap? It's usually between ribs bones 7-9? (I always remember the number from the joke 7 8 9)

Old 12-21-2013, 05:23 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Making Beef Wellington and I did preorder the filet roast. I like it trimmed to the hilt. I usually pre-order the rib roast if I make it as I like the middle part of the whole rib roast. (I can't remember the name now! The cap? It's usually between ribs bones 7-9? (I always remember the number from the joke 7 8 9)
Meet the Ribeye Cap, the Tastiest Cut on the Cow | Serious Eats

one of my fav muscles on the critter too!!

Old 12-25-2013, 05:08 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
Whether you are planning on
Prime Rib
ham
pork crown roast
lamb
duck
turkey/chicken
pork roast,
lobsters, scallops

or any other meal

do you call and order these ahead, or walk into the store and see what they have??
We always just walk in: we used to order a fresh turkey, but not anymore. I don't really see the difference. If we were having duck we would probably pre order. Our younger daughter and her husband did that this year.

Old 12-25-2013, 05:13 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
i could really care less about xmas, to be honest year after year it becomes less and less of a thought. if im at my parents house i will eat a standard xmas meal, boring. if im at my house ill cook seafood (some of my favorite). xmas is just a way to get people to spend their money, religion aside. ill take the time given off, but id rather just not have to deal with xmas altogether.
wow!! of course the glow wears light as the years mount up, but it is still the most wonderful time of the year, as the song says. if nothing else, just to see the excitement in the eyes of kids and to have a wonderful day with the family. for some it is a religious day, the day Christ was born, to others it has little to do with religion, but a lot to do with the festivities.

Old 12-25-2013, 11:53 PM

4,587 posts, read 4,216,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet*Tea View Post
I usually get a Honey Baked Ham but this year decided to try the local grocery store's Christmas dinner special for $49.99. (Harris Teeter) Included is a 9 lb spiral Ham and 3 sides. I am a little apprehensive about it but we shall see.
***Update***

The dinner I purchased was yucky. Well, the ham was okay but the sides were horrible. (We ate with my mom and the dinner was my contribution to the meal.) Thank goodness we had other things to eat or it really would have been a disaster. Won't be doing that again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink