Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 07:28 AM

4,103 posts, read 7,026,947 times

Advertisements

So what are you making? We are going to celebrate Christmas Eve with extended family. We ordered 10 dozen tamales from my aunt. I'll be making enchilada casserole and rice and beans to go along with it. I can't wait!

Christmas day will just be the kids, dh and me. I do a big breakfast/brunch. Pancakes, eggs, bacon, potatos, cut up fruit. They open presents and eat and then we go to the first showing of a movie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2008, 07:39 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,397,537 times
Carlita- it all sounds great.

We don't really do holidays. We don't like the crowds and the kids are grown. But I will make a prime rib for dinner on x-mas.

Old 12-06-2008, 07:50 AM

849 posts, read 1,953,170 times
That sounds really good, Carlita. Nothing like home made tamales and the rest of your menu sounds good, too.

We will have brisket, mashed potatoes and veggies for Christmas Eve when my SIL's family come over. Lots of appetizers and deserts. Christmas dinner will be just us 5. We usually have prime rib diner or crown roast. Probably prime rib, because they usually go on sale around that time.

Old 12-06-2008, 08:07 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,853,374 times
Being it's just us and I did ask my sis-in-law as she'll be alone, I'll probably make lasagne, meatballs, sausage, salad, garlic bread, cheesecake.

For years when we had the whole family close it was a crown roast of pork w/apple sausage stuffing, oven roasted garlicky potatoes, brussels, creamed onions, biscuits and canneloni cake.

Old 12-06-2008, 09:50 AM

5,504 posts, read 6,248,873 times
Everyone's dinner sounds so delicious.

It will be just the 2 of us unless someone doesn't have a place to go and then they are more than welcomed here.

Christmas Eve, we will be doing the Italian traditional 7 fishes, spaghetti and clam sauce, antipasto and bread.

We are volunteering at our local soup kitchen on Christmas and after wards I will make either a Turduckhen or Prime Rib. I will decide probably when I am at the store.

Have a nice afternoon everyone.

Old 12-06-2008, 10:31 AM

Kelsie can you buy Turducken in your area? It's a lot of work to do it yourself. Do you think for the 2 od you you could use turkey cutlets pounded out, duck breast and chicken breast and roll?

Old 12-06-2008, 11:03 AM

5,504 posts, read 6,248,873 times
Thank you Lacey. I am just thinking about it now, they have it all deboned already and inside one another. I am not sure how to cook it. For the price maybe I'l stick with the Prime Rib.

Old 12-06-2008, 11:22 AM

Heard they are pricey and to make it would be difficult. Your butcher could debone your turkey,etc.

Old 12-07-2008, 03:24 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
I had Turducken one Christmas, the novelty was fun, and it tasted fine, but if I had to choose, I'd take Prime Rib.
With Kelsie's encouragement, I am going to attempt the 7 Fishes for Christmas Eve.

Old 12-07-2008, 06:53 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times
On Christmas Eve like every year we will be going to a Gastronomic Restaurant and Christmas Day with either be light Canapes , Smoked Salmon and Blinis and Foie Gras or if we can be bothered a proper Cheese Fondue Savoyarde which is perfect as it will be just the two of us and we don't feel like cooking on Christmas Day... Cheese Fondue has become a bit of a tradition for us, tasty, delicious, quick and easy and hardly any cleaning if you have a dishwasher. Perfect.

Stephen my Fiance will steam a small luxury bought Christmas Pudding for himself ( I hate them) and I will have something like Dark Chocolate Mousse or Lemon Syllabub.

Christmas Eve is always the big day for us . Christmas Day is for tootling around in the countryside and maybe watching a couple of favourite DVDs.
The more relaxed the better.

We have done the whole huge Christmas meal for Stephen's parents once and though it tasted good, it just was not worth the hours of effort and the cleaning up afterwards.

We have tried the Fondue with other people at Christmas and they all seemed to love it. It allows the host/hostess to actually spend all their time with their guests and is yummy as well as fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink