Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 04:53 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,083,002 times

Advertisements

I'm so excited that I got Christmas day off of work (I originally had to work it) and the next couple of days, so I'm going to visit my folks!!

Standing rib roast, homemade mashed potatoes, green beans, and my absolute favorite...yorkshire pudding!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2008, 05:30 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,853,374 times
Yeah for you Annika!!!! Safe trip and enjoy.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:10 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,539,736 times
Great now I'm hungry......

Christmas Eve is at the in-laws-very informal. She's provide a ham and the rest will bring what we're known for..mine will be potato salad, my sil does wicked baked beans, bil is a gormet chef so we never know and look forward to see what he brings.

Christmas day is in a way a repeat of T'day. When it's at my house which is is this year, I'll change it up a bit....can't have the diehards having heart attacks...

So I'll have both ham and turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, corn souffle, apple salad, and some sweat potato thing my sil is doing. I'll throw in a couple different things but haven't decided what yet.

Old 12-08-2008, 04:33 PM

224 posts, read 732,788 times
The Garlic Roasted Potato Spears sounds really good. Recipe sharing?

And thanks for posting that Mushroom Beef Tenderloin recipe. I'd like to make that but my sister won't eat mushrooms.

The last 3 years we've had Christmas Eve dinner at my sister's and she does a lasagna, salad, and bread. Then Christmas dinner is at my house and I always mix it up. I don't like repeating Thanksgiving. Sometimes we have done ham though. One year I did a pork tenderloin. I have purchased the expensive meat and did a beef tenderloin. It's so good. I may do that again. I think last year I did the Prime Rib Roast. I change up the sides too. We do a potato casserole, baked mac and cheese.

I'm not sure yet what I'll do this year. My sister wants to do Christmas Eve at my house this year. It's only me, ds, two little kids, and my sister. So we don't need a lot of food.

Thanks for the ideas.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:06 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,336,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristie73 View Post
The Garlic Roasted Potato Spears sounds really good. Recipe sharing?
Potato Spears (the cookbook calls them "Oven-Roasted Potatoes," but that's boring)
From Jeff Smith's The Frugal Gourmet Celebrates Christmas

4 pounds baking potatoes
1 stick butter, melted
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. fresh-ground black pepper
1/4 tsp. sweet paprika
2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
1/2 cup chicken stock, home-made if possible
Flour for dusting if desired

Peel the potatoes and quarter them lengthwise. If they're very thick, we cut them in sixths or eighths.

Place the potatoes in a 9x13 baking dish. Add all remaining ingredients except chicken stock. Turn the potatoes to coat them evenly.

Bake at 350 for one hour. Add the chicken stock and bake one more hour, turning the potatoes a few times during baking. To give a nice browning effect, dust a bit of flour over them at the end of the baking time and put them under the broiler for a few minutes. (We've never done that; they're usually golden-brown and glorious just after the baking.)

This deceptively simple recipe is just about the ONLY thing that is considered mandatory for Christmas dinner at our house. It doesn't matter what the main course is, there MUST be potato spears. And generally that means one 9x13 dish for our son and a second one for everyone else.

Old 12-09-2008, 05:00 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,619,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali's Grandma View Post
Great now I'm hungry......

Christmas Eve is at the in-laws-very informal. She's provide a ham and the rest will bring what we're known for..mine will be potato salad, my sil does wicked baked beans, bil is a gormet chef so we never know and look forward to see what he brings.

Christmas day is in a way a repeat of T'day. When it's at my house which is is this year, I'll change it up a bit....can't have the diehards having heart attacks...

So I'll have both ham and turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, corn souffle, apple salad, and some sweat potato thing my sil is doing. I'll throw in a couple different things but haven't decided what yet.
Are you talk'n about Dutch's Wicked Baked Beans?

Old 12-09-2008, 11:03 AM

2,969 posts, read 6,945,470 times
This year it will probably be just me and my BF on Christmas Eve....neither of us can go home to our families, but we have each other, so that is okay!

My family always has crab legs and shrimp on Christmas Eve and I think we are going to do that same for ourselves here this year with a few apps or finger foods.

Dinner on Christmas we might do with a few friends. I would like to try that mushroom beef tenderloin recipe and have that with mashed or cheesey potato casserole, fresh rolls, broccoli, salad, and something chocolate for dessert.

Old 12-09-2008, 11:17 AM

20,797 posts, read 9,744,493 times
You cannot go wrong with that Mushroom Stuffed Beef Tenderloin....I have been making it now for over twenty years.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:08 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,870,333 times
We do a ton of Appetizers for Christmas and graze all night. Everyne (there are about 25 of us) makes like 2 apps and my mom makes the cookies/dessert and we just chow.... We even have a baked potato bar!!!! It is so much fun!!! The whole dining room is filled with munchies and dips and finger foods and bread bowls and mini pizzas and shrimp and crab cakes.... you name it we got it! It is my favorite food night of the whole year!

Old 12-10-2008, 10:07 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,190,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
We do a ton of Appetizers for Christmas and graze all night. Everyne (there are about 25 of us) makes like 2 apps and my mom makes the cookies/dessert and we just chow.... We even have a baked potato bar!!!! It is so much fun!!! The whole dining room is filled with munchies and dips and finger foods and bread bowls and mini pizzas and shrimp and crab cakes.... you name it we got it! It is my favorite food night of the whole year!
I just talked to my kids about doing a bunch of apps instead of a big meal! They said OK as long as I cook a ham too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink