Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 04:46 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,549,100 times

Advertisements

What do you like to use coconut oil for? I learned that is supposed to be very healthy, although it is a few more calories than butter. The label also says if you warm it it bit and let it liquify it is great for skin. I know it is about more expensive than just regular vegetable oil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 11:34 AM

1,212 posts, read 2,253,480 times
I actually do like it for skin, absorbs much better than olive oil. Also like cooking with it too, use it more than any other cooking oil

Old 01-03-2014, 11:51 AM

537 posts, read 1,243,603 times
It's wonderful on the skin. I actually use it as a moisturizer for my face, and it helps especially during the winter months.

My uses:
-Seasoning a cast iron skillet.
-When I'm making chili, I add a couple tablespoons before adding onions and garlic. It smells heavenly. I haven't noticed a difference in the taste.
-If I'm making a grilled sandwich and don't have butter, I'll use coconut oil.
-Before making a whole chicken, I'll warm it up a little and put in rosemary, garlic, lemon juice, salt, pepper and spread it all over the chicken. Of course, the coconut oil solidifies again, but it's really delicious and makes the skin a bit crunchy.
-I'll add it to tea instead of honey. Love the flavor it adds.
-I've used it for light frying (chicken parmesan and fish). Chicken parmesan turned out great, but it had that coconut flavor that I wasn't crazy about. However, if you were to do it with tiliapia or salmon, it would be AMAZING.

I would like to try it when making fried rice at some point too.

Old 01-03-2014, 05:39 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,060,634 times
I use it on my face every night. For cooking I've used it in a pie crust instead of butter, it's a little hard to work with but tastes great in a tropical fruit tart, nice in banana bread and the like too. For savory I like it for fried rice and sautéing veggies for curries.

Old 01-03-2014, 05:57 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,737,395 times
people put oil on their faces? new to me, definitely wont be doing that thanks.

i use coconut oil to cook fish

Old 01-03-2014, 06:02 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,088,914 times
I use it for popping popcorn.

Old 01-03-2014, 06:05 PM

50,376 posts, read 63,993,273 times
I love the way it melts on my skin. I hear I has antiseptic qualities.

Old 01-03-2014, 08:16 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,953,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
people put oil on their faces? new to me, definitely wont be doing that thanks.
I've used olive oil & coconut oil on my face. Great moisturizers. Not for those who have naturally greasy/oily skin, though.

Old 01-03-2014, 09:23 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,750,169 times
I gave up dairy for a few years and it became my go to butter sub because it has the same melt in your mouth feel as butter. Adding a little salt to it made it even closer to butter.

Like a couple of previous posters mentioned, it's great for roasting chicken and I use it a lot to pop popcorn. I like it on toast or a bagel with a tiny bit of salt and in the case of a bagel, hot sauce. I've even fried eggs in it and it was surprisingly good. Sounds weird I know. My favorite has to be using it to sauté peppers and onions for Fajitas. So good! You can also add a little to a smoothie to keep you full longer. I like it in cookies but it was a disaster when I tried to make brownies with it. Maybe it was the recipe or a fluke but I only tried that once. Basically, you can sub it for anything you might make with butter or oil. Experimenting will bring you many hits and probably a lot of misses too.

I have tried it topically but it was not the best mix for my skin but I've heard many people swear by it. I like the Nutiva brand. Unrefined is best.

Old 01-03-2014, 10:49 PM

537 posts, read 740,324 times
Organic coconut oil is fabulous stuff! Great for cooking, skin care, and good nutrition.

I often use it instead of butter for it's higher smoke point when sautéing certain foods and I love the flavor of eggs made with it. It's great for coating the griddle when making pancakes, too.

We rub it on our skin and use it on our kids' hair.

I recently read a report that a doctor had reversed her husband's Alzheimer's decline with daily coconut oil doses. If you google it, you might find it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink