Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 02:39 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
WOW! A week? WOW.......We only have $200 to last for more than half the month, and definitely cannot afford WF! You must be doing good! Congrats! I could not imagine spending that kind of money at WF a "week"!!! Ouch.
How many people are you feeding on that amount? Do you have teenagers? At about $2 per meal per person, I don't consider that outrageous for five adult appetites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 02:41 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,610,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
How many people are you feeding on that amount? Are they teens?
6!

3 adults and 3 kids under 10.

Whenever my kids become teens they'll need to get a job of their own if they want to buy food at WF!

Last edited by PhotoProIP; 01-09-2014 at 03:22 PM..

Old 01-09-2014, 02:41 PM

28,671 posts, read 18,788,917 times
We treat a trip to Whole Foods like a trip to a Smithsonian museum.

Old 01-09-2014, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
6!

3 adults and 3 kids under 10.
My grocery spending is right in line with the USDA's thrifty plan (Nov 2013) for a family of five with two adults and three teens, even buying at Whole Foods. The important thing is to stay away from prepared and packaged foods, but that's the case most everywhere. Trouble is, most grocery stores have pathetic bulk selections, if they have them at all.

Here take a look...

http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/Publication...oodNov2013.pdf

My strategy for keeping costs in line is to shop the perimeter, stopping before I get to the bakery, cheese counter, & deli, where grocery budgets go out the window. I visit produce, fish, meat/poultry, bulk bins, eggs/dairy, and then make a brief stop in frozen for the blueberries I throw in our morning oatmeal. I generally stay out of the center aisles with the exception of canned tomatoes for our weekly three-bean chili, although if my tomato plants do as well as they did last year, I'll probably can my own this fall.

A nice benefit of this type of shopping is that I can use my own bags and containers for much of it, minimizing trash. If other stores would offer the variety of package-free foods available at Whole Foods I might be tempted to go elsewhere, but right now they are really the only game in town.

Last edited by randomparent; 01-09-2014 at 04:00 PM..

Old 01-09-2014, 03:15 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,763,632 times
Never been in one. I think the closest one is Albany. I'm not driving an hour and a half. If I was I would go to the food coop there, it's way cooler and member owned.

Old 01-09-2014, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Never been in one. I think the closest one is Albany. I'm not driving an hour and a half. If I was I would go to the food coop there, it's way cooler and member owned.
I wouldn't drive 90 minutes for ANY grocery unless it was the only one available.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:40 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
While I agree that WF is pricey but it's not bad consider they have consistency, cleanliness, and good customer service.

I think it's troubling that most Americans aren't willing to pay for good quality food but have no problem buying a new smartphone, ipad, and throw money away each month on cable bills and other non-essential services.

Produce at most supermarkets these days are mass produced especially GMO stuff and that's what is causing all the health problems in this country. You look at other countries that don't have GMO stuff, there's less depression, anxiety issues, and people that have extreme allergies.

There's something wrong when you have eggs and chicken that all come out 90% the same shape and color. Anybody that raised their own chicken knows that eggs are not big and white! Naturally fed chicken do not grow to be big and plump.

While I don't shop at WF a lot but I do think it's important to eat good quality food,.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:54 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,959,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Thank God we have no Whole Foods here. They're a lousy company that spent big bucks trying to defeat Obamacare. We have two natural foods markets in town, don't need the giant corporation.
Is that true?

I have to start shopping at our local store more often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink