Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 04:14 AM

27,471 posts, read 13,695,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I noticed that some restaurants replaced veal with pork and still call it Veal Parmigiana...
Veal is expensive because many countries banned veal crates which prevented much of the export trade. Britain banned them in 1990 and the EU in 2006. Live Animal exports are also seen as cruel by many. A couple of US States also have similar legislation in place.

Veal has joined a list of controversial foods such as foie gras, sharks fin soup, ortolans, boiled lobster etc as well as numerous protected species, and Veal is rarely on the menu in all but a few restaurants in most countries.

I personally wouldn't eat any of these foods, and try to buy free range and proper organic produce as much as possible.

I was surprised US Italian restaurant chains sold veal in the first place according to the OP, however some fine dining Italian restaurants in the US may possible still sell veal.

Last edited by Brave New World; 02-10-2019 at 04:39 AM..

Old 02-10-2019, 05:34 AM

62,097 posts, read 87,849,442 times
We can buy veal in grocery stores here, in Texas. Available, but bit expensive.
Or order foie gras, sharks fin soup, or boiled lobster in a restaurant. Not sure about ortolans. Never heard of it outside France...

I had Wienerschnitzel in Charlottenburg (Berlin) last year. Quite popular in Germany and Poland.
People still eat it across the EU.

Last edited by elnina; 02-10-2019 at 05:59 AM..

Old 02-10-2019, 06:04 AM

6,390 posts, read 4,268,986 times
Quote:
Or order foie gras, sharks fin soup, or boiled lobster in a restaurant. Not sure about ortolans. Never heard of it outside France...

I had Wienerschnitzel in Charlottenburg (Berlin) last year. Quite popular in Germany and Poland.
Wienerschnitzel is a really good dish, that wit red cabbage and potato pancakes or spaetzle.

Unfortunately where we are in Virginia, there are no German restaurants at all!

Old 02-10-2019, 06:23 AM

16,443 posts, read 12,613,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
Wienerschnitzel is a really good dish, that wit red cabbage and potato pancakes or spaetzle.

Where are you in Virginia? If you’re anywhere near Madison or Fredericksburg, go to the Bavarian Chef (I prefer the Madison location personally). It’s even worth a road trip!

Old 02-10-2019, 06:26 AM

62,097 posts, read 87,849,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post

Make it at home. Isn't different than any other breaded piece of meat or fish. Same technique.

Old 02-10-2019, 06:29 AM

16,443 posts, read 12,613,673 times
Quote:
Possession or sale of shark fin is illegal in Texas.

Old 02-10-2019, 06:50 AM

6,390 posts, read 4,268,986 times
Quote:
Make it at home. Isn't different than any other breaded piece of meat or fish. Same technique.
I will give it a try!

We miss not having the availability of certain foods that we had when living in the Northeast. Almost impossible to get fresh seafood, lamb or veal in the food stores unless it’s ordered beforehand.

We also miss the diversity of ethnic restaurants here but at least we are foodies and we’re not opposed to cooking.

I have learned to make a pretty decent sauerbraten in the slow cooker though so I can enjoy some German dishes!

Old 02-10-2019, 07:01 AM

17,402 posts, read 11,388,778 times
It's become rather politically incorrect to eat veal in many parts of the U.S. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but many restaurants want to avoid the controversy by not having it on the menu.

Old 02-10-2019, 08:07 AM

7,333 posts, read 12,412,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Cost factors are extremely important in terms of quick service ot fast casual restaurants, and they rely on not being too expensive.

More traditional Italian restaurants and find dining establishments will still be serving Veal parmigiana.
Technically the traditional Italian dish is eggplant parmigiana; chicken parmigiana and veal parmigiana are Italian-American creations.

Old 02-10-2019, 08:10 AM

10,222 posts, read 7,639,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
I have been noticing that many Italian chain restaurants have stopped serving veal parmigiana (Olive Garden dropped it many years back, and more recently Buca di Beppo has dropped it). I'm guessing low sales and the high price of veal could be to blame. Could this be a sign that veal parmigiana could be on its way out? Veal parmigiana has historically been in the shadow of its more popular cousins eggplant parmigiana and chicken parmigiana.
Maybe people are more aware now of the cruelty involved with veal. And that's a good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink