Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 06:39 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
This. Lots of farmers in my family, and they just roll their eyes at all this "free range" nonsense.

"Caged hen production systems are often very clean and tightly monitored and are often very high tech with happy and healthy hens."

"They can control temperature, parasites, to provide a clean delivery of food. These are vastly superior to what you would get in many free range operations."

"With large-scale egg production, you can get chooks walking over other chooks, eating other chooks' faeces. "

And frankly, many of the sites that argue against "caged" birds, simply would rather you not eat chicken or eggs, at all.
Are these "farmers" in your family egg producing farmers or know ANYTHING about the methods?

All anybody has to do is google or see the birds in BATTERY CAGES to KNOW it's inhumane. Just like debeaking uncaged birds is inhumane.

How would anyone determine those birds are "happy"?

And do you believe in artificial lighting or do these egg farmers follow a strict natural daylight schedule?

Plenty of people advocate for humane compassionate use of animals for food without jumping to "not eating chicken or eggs at all". Like this poster provides:

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
I sell free range eggs, and they are indeed free ranged. I lock them up at night for their own safety, then during the day they are left to free range on 10 acres. They are indeed destructive little beasts, and they are fenced away from my personal yard and garden, but they have 9 acres of fenced pasture to do their thing. I still feed them a local milled feed, but they prefer staying outside most of the day.

I do lose a few now and again to predators, but its worth it, as the eggs are definitely different. I sell all I can produce. People who have tried them never go back to store bought eggs.

I have a waiting list for them. If you can find true free range chicken eggs, you'll be surprised at the wonderful quality. I have to laugh at the "free range" eggs in the stores. The advertising is so deceptive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 07:50 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
chessie, thanks for posting this,,

excellent points,,, ive found this to be true also

chickens are NOT friendly birds, they peck the hell out of each other and eat their own shyt, and they also get ticks and mites

and to pay 5.99lb or more for a feel good free range sticker?? not for me.
I beg to differ with this statement. Back in Miami when I worked out in the Glades, we had a rooster and hen that were indeed very friendly. Heck, the rooster thought he was a human. He would come up to us...I mean, really, if we called his name, he would come running over to us like a dog...he would sit in our laps, he would "groom" us, he would "hug" us, (when you held him, he would put his little neck on your shoulder), and he would be very content to sit there for hours if you let him.

If he felt that he was not getting enough attention, he would raise a fuss until someone paid attention to him. He would climb the gigantic banyan tree in the little park that we had, and when he wanted down, if there were people around that he knew, he would make all kinds of noise. He wanted someone to get him down. Oh he was perfectly capable of getting himself down, but he wanted the attention and the affection.

Naw, I think chickens are hilarious animals and can absolutely be very affectionate little birds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
...Plenty of people advocate for humane compassionate use of animals for food without jumping to "not eating chicken or eggs at all"...
That would be me. I will eat meat, but I want those animals treated humanely before they arrive on my dinner plate. There is no excuse to cram animals in to small cages or pens to the point that they can't move their appendages, they can't stand up or sit down or move around. That's b.s. (Why I will NEVER eat veal.)

Yes, big factory farmers are doing it for the money....that's not a good enough excuse for me. Yes, I would be willing to pay more if I knew that the animal truly was being treated humanely in life and in their death, as long as the claim was actually true.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:07 AM

1,767 posts, read 2,398,939 times
Quote:
I sell free range eggs, and they are indeed free ranged. I lock them up at night for their own safety, then during the day they are left to free range on 10 acres. They are indeed destructive little beasts, and they are fenced away from my personal yard and garden, but they have 9 acres of fenced pasture to do their thing. I still feed them a local milled feed, but they prefer staying outside most of the day.

I do lose a few now and again to predators, but its worth it, as the eggs are definitely different. I sell all I can produce. People who have tried them never go back to store bought eggs.

I have a waiting list for them. If you can find true free range chicken eggs, you'll be surprised at the wonderful quality. I have to laugh at the "free range" eggs in the stores. The advertising is so deceptive.
They are indeed destructive! Any plant materials not fenced are gone. Well, I know a very short list of plants that seemed not to be their favorite. I fence for deer ,but chickens are worse.With a potential 15 acres to roam they would not venture too far from the coop. Weasels are the worst preditor,but free range dogs can be a problem too(not to mention fox and coyote). As to the point of the thread, there is a very noticeable difference as has been pretty well covered. The bones are thinner, stronger and very white. Meat is tasty but generally tougher with a much more yellow fat then any store purchase. As to the eggs I think there is a taste difference but the yokes definitely have more color. As to shell color, it is a function of the breed,color of the hen.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:23 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
We have our own chickens. We don't eat them, but once you have an egg with a deep golden-orange yolk that is fresh out of a happy chicken, you'll never want to eat those pale, watery, six-week-old store-bought things again.

Quote:

I sell our extras too. Our hens are locked up at night but during the day they are kicking up their fenced yard and eating all the bugs they can find.

Old 01-13-2014, 12:16 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,217,774 times
Anyone can buy a hen and keep it for eggs, unless your town prohibits it. If you can't figure out how to get fresh, free range eggs, buy one. I hen of a quality egg laying breed will, on average, lay 1 egg per day. You can even keep it in a small rabbit hutch at night. This way you will know where your eggs came from. Just remember that livestock has it's own set of needs that must be met, and they are not throw away pets when you get tired of them.

Old 01-13-2014, 12:20 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,839,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
Yes, especially in the breast meat. I typically avoid breast meat in "industrial" chicken. I also find Amish chicken to be much tastier even though it may not conform to the definition of "free range".

Same here regarded the bold text.

Last edited by Felix C; 01-13-2014 at 12:57 PM..

Old 01-13-2014, 12:25 PM

20,936 posts, read 28,426,121 times
I have never eaten free range chicken but I have had free range Turkey and I don't like it. The meat is tough.

Old 01-13-2014, 12:51 PM

373 posts, read 589,590 times
Commercial is the important part. Commercially slaughtered chickens are no longer bled long enough to empty out the large vessels, which then "explode" dreadful tasting chicken blood into the meat if not soaked or brined adequately before cooking. There is nothing like chicken blood to disflavor chicken.

I fry chicken and have noticed over the past 20 yrs or so, that these birds are so blood laiden you must brine em or soak em (and squeeze the parts out well)before you try to cook them or they wil have an off taste and black blood spots in the thighs...and even the breasts.

It's how they are dressed that really counts.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:43 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,177,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I think PETA goes too far pushing it's vegan agenda. Like it wants to free all the animals used for their meat or products, but where do you propose they all go? Release them in the wild? I think deep down they know that wouldn't be realistic that's why they themselves euthanise a lot of animals. Plus they actually advocate you feed your CAT or DOG a vegan diet and argue it's healthier . Talk about animal cruelty. Yeah I mean do they have a problem with a lion eating zebra? As long as it's humane, are we not animals too?
Well, that's just it -- it's an agenda. It is no more about animal "rights" than it is about offering solutions to any of their agendized "problems." It's about raising money to cloud the issue as the people of PETA very well know that, without real or manufactured crises, organizations like PETA cease to exist. This isn't to say that there isn't a hint of truth to some of what they say. The problem is that the "crises" are largely overblown and there is never really a viable solution presented other than "Go Veg." I think most rational people understand that an all vegetable diet will generally not provide the nutrients an average human needs and that all farm land is not created equal. They also realize that even the strictest vegan is responsible for collateral animal deaths. The reason domesticated livestock came into being was because the human being began to transform from living hand to mouth (hunter gatherer) and into a more planned existence (farmer). To deny our omnivorous nature is to deny evolution, period.

I once had a vegan neighbor who killed his dog with an all vegetable diet. When the vet finally convinced him that he was killing the poor thing and to feed it Bil-Jac, it was too late. Apparently, dogs do not assimilate amino acids and create complete proteins the way true omnivores do. They absolutely need substantial quantities of meat to obtain the proper amount of protein and other "meat only" nutrients to maintain proper metabolic function, muscle growth and maintenance, and nervous system health. I suspect that anyone else who does that to their carnivorous companions will have them meet the same fate. I would suspect that deliberate malnourishment of a pet could easily be classified as cruelty, yet that sentiment doesn't seem to phase the agenda-pushers.

Old 01-13-2014, 06:52 PM

543 posts, read 1,146,464 times
It just seems to me that we have sacrificed nutrition and humane farming practices for convenience without regard to what we're really losing. Large agribusinesses have tried to keep up with feeding this country while people were busy with other things.

Getting back to growing at least some of our own food and the humane raising of animals will benefit all of us.
Yes, I notice some difference in flavor with free range chickens... but more with those that are organic and free range.

I did have an organic and free range turkey for Thanksgiving and found it tough. I think I was just used to roasting the ones that had been injected with brine, so was surprised by the result. It sure did taste healthy, tho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink