Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 05:59 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,997,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Not true. The yellow color comes from the amount of beta-carotene in the milk fat. When the cows are pasture-fed the beta-carotene levels will be higher.
Retired dairy farmer here.........grass grazed my Jersey herd..........you're still going to get light colored butter.

Even from my grass grazed, high butterfat testing Jersey cows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2017, 07:06 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
Retired dairy farmer here...
Then you should know that the yellow comes from beta-carotene in the milk fat. Feed a cow a diet to raise the beta-carotene level, and you'll get a deeper yellow butter. Similarly, egg yolks will be a deeper orange if you increase xanthophylls (a carotenoid) by feeding marigolds to the hens.

If carotenes are added directly to butter they have to be labeled on the package as a colorant.

Old 07-07-2017, 07:29 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I think food just doesn't taste as good anymore. I can remember going out to a restaurant being a treat because the food was always so good, even better than at home. Now they all use Sysco foods and I usually end up thinking I could have made the same thing better and cheaper. They used to sell real food and now a lot of the stuff that is served is food-like. Like the "chicken" that has the stripes painted on it to make it look "grilled." Yuck. If our grandparents/great grandparents saw the food that is served now, I wonder what they would say?
OMG, where do you go out to eat? Sounds like it's time for an upgrade.

Old 07-07-2017, 08:28 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,997,459 times
Quote:
Then you should know that the yellow comes from beta-carotene in the milk fat. Feed a cow a diet to raise the beta-carotene level, and you'll get a deeper yellow butter. Similarly, egg yolks will be a deeper orange if you increase xanthophylls (a carotenoid) by feeding marigolds to the hens.

If carotenes are added directly to butter they have to be labeled on the package as a colorant.
You can not get yellow butter w/o adding coloring.

Old 07-07-2017, 08:34 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,258,895 times
Quote:
Impossible to get yellow butter w/o coloring being added to it.

If you want yellow butter, you want the butter to have more coloring added to it ?
We had real homemade butter when I was a kid, churned ourselves, and it was yellow. Not bright yellow, but it was yellow.

Old 07-07-2017, 08:36 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,258,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OMG, where do you go out to eat? Sounds like it's time for an upgrade.
I eat all kinds of places, including upscale restaurants. There are exceptions, but most places just aren't good anymore and serve processed/canned food instead of cooking real food.

Old 07-07-2017, 10:25 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,529,245 times
Quote:
Well, with all of your complaining I have to assume 1) you don't grow your own, and 2) you don't shop at farmers' markets. We eat great-tasting, seasonal vegetables year-round.

You are making the huge assumption that everyone has the time, space, ability, resources & desire to grow their own produce, & the majority of people in this country do not.

When our kids were young, we wanted them to know that food didn't begin at the supermarket, so we had a huge garden. We had tomatoes, cucumbers, all sorts of beans, squash, melons & more. It all tasted amazing...haven't had as good a cucumber since. As an interesting aside, our neighbors & co-workers had no interest in our surplus, even though it was free! This was in SoCal, so we had a very long growing season...I harvested cherry tomatoes in December. We also had orange, lemon, tangerine, lime & avocado trees. But that garden required a lot of weeding, fertilizing, pest management, & for a dry state like California, lots of expensive water.

Where I now live, the growing season is short, and an incredible amount of effort is required to get things growing & keep them growing. And, you mention farmer's markets. I've found most of them to be ridiculously expensive, beyond many people's means.

Old 07-07-2017, 10:42 PM

Quote:
You can not get yellow butter w/o adding coloring.
Sorry, but you're absolutely wrong. There are numerous studies and publications explaining how a cow's diet determines the color of the butter.

Old 07-07-2017, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
You are making the huge assumption that everyone has the time, space, ability, resources & desire to grow their own produce, & the majority of people in this country do not...
And how can you possibly infer that assertion from what I posted?

If I state "I assume you can't pilot the space shuttle" that doesn't mean that I "assume" everyone else can.

Last edited by Dirt Grinder; 07-07-2017 at 10:56 PM..

Old 07-07-2017, 11:48 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,529,245 times
Quote:
And how can you possibly infer that assertion from what I posted?

If I state "I assume you can't pilot the space shuttle" that doesn't mean that I "assume" everyone else can.

I am not going to argue with you...reread your post #202.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink