Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 07:30 PM

1,322 posts, read 3,474,911 times

Advertisements

I often buy items that are new to me with the plan to investigate it and cook with it. Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't get around to it. I do try and buy things on sale to save money though so I do have a stash of commonly used items. We also live about a 20 minute ride to the nearest store and even in good weather it is a drag to run out of an item.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 09:32 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,832,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I buy in bulk, but I only buy what I use and I use what I buy.

There can be good savings with buying in bulk, but it isn't good economy to buy stuff that you won't use.

Over three months??? I've got food in the freezer that has been there over three years, but it is food that I am working my way through. I bought a whole elk three years ago and we are still eating on that, although I am getting down close to the end of it.

I buy oatmeal 50 pounds at a time. That lasts for six months, but it all gets eaten.

I might buy a case of the only brand of chili my family will eat and it takes us a year to go through it (or longer, cans don't spoil), but it all gets eaten.
If you're eating 3 year old food....you might be a food hoarder

Is that even safe?

Old 01-29-2014, 09:59 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
I have been collecting bargains for years and have been working on reducing the stockpile for the past six months. MOST of it is gone.

Old 01-29-2014, 10:06 PM

5,133 posts, read 4,485,479 times
No. We eat whatever is bought, except for the rare occasion that it goes bad first.

Old 01-29-2014, 10:26 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,929,122 times
Not sure if this makes me a hoarder. I cook meals (for one) and I end up freezing 2 or 3 more servings for many months, years in some cases. Rather than unthaw after so long, I make new stuff.

Old 01-30-2014, 04:46 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,545,986 times
I can't seem to pass up a bargain on meats. My freezers are full most of the time and it is just my hubby and I. I have canned food that I rarely use, but when I want them there're there.

I have to admit that when I see a new recipe that sounds good, I'll buy the ingredients and end up not making the recipe.

Old 01-30-2014, 05:37 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
Costco is heaven for food hoarders...my SO will go to Costco, and buy random things, basically, any strange food they are giving out samples of, he will automatically buy, like he is compelled to purchase the item because he tasted it. His most recent stash includes eight packages of flavored mashed potatoes! Instant mashed potatoes? I have never made those in my life, and we now have eight packages! Bacon flavored, no less!

He loves shopping for food, and would go every day if he could. He can only go once a week.

We have a Costco membership, he wants a Sam's club card too...I am like, "Why? They carry basically the same stuff?....no, he says he "needs" stuff from Sam's....I used to have four kids in the house, food disappeared before I put it away....but with only two of us now...he just loves to buy food. I have to constantly monitor him!

Old 01-30-2014, 07:03 AM

1,392 posts, read 3,128,386 times
I'm not, but my neighbor is. I clean out all my pantries once a year to make sure nothing is outdated. My neighbor just keep buying and buying and buying.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:15 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,907,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
We know what hoarders are...how about "food hoarders"?

People who buy random food, don't eat it, put it in the pantry, and never get rid of it...

I am a small scale food hoarder, I always buy some odd health food product, like Chia seeds, or oat bran, bee pollen, and I never get around to eating it, but I don't throw it away.

My SO was quite a food hoarder, he bought random things at Costco, filled a store room, never ate the food...I cleaned it out last summer, quite a project. ..

Okay, are you a food hoarder? What products are in your cupboards you have had for over three months, and have not touched...
I think I might be. I have a pantry full, a fridge freezer full and am working on using it up. I live by myself, eat well and LIKE to know that if I want to make something, I have the supplies on hand. I'm also my mom's 'pantry' sometimes although she's just as bad as I am. I DO eventually eat everything I buy but it might take a while. I buy meats in the family packs, use my food saver to wrap and put in the freezer. I check Safeway's meat 'bargain bin' often and get some good deals that way. I never buy stuff just to 'try it' and then not use it. And the older I get, the lazier I get and end up buying a lot more processed foods than I used to. Yesterday I told my mom that I used to buy 10# potatoes, went to the 5#, then to the packets and NOW I'm buying the small containers of one serving. I don't use them often but they are there if I want them.

Sometimes I think I have some fear of starving to death, or something. There have been plenty of times in my life when I was so broke I didn't know where my next cup of coffee was coming from, let alone a meal, so I figure I'm just protecting myself.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:28 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,377,574 times
It's a form of wealth. In rural areas you had to be prepared,and some cultures have built it into their religion.
They don't forget that you can lose access to food, water, etc. at any time.

What I am doing right now with my s.o. is rotating the stock and replacing it with items we will evenually use up.

If you had told me a few years ago that a major city in North America like North Vancouver or Calgary could lose power for five days I'd thought you were nuts, until in 2005 it actually happended. Be prepared.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink