Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 11:21 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
And I didn't say to stash it in some other form of food - I meant save the money in some other way.
There's no way you can save that kind of money anywhere else in a household budget. Food has the greatest flexibility in a budget. Mortgage and utilities are set in stone. You can't save hundreds per month anywhere else like you can with food, especially on meat, by turning down the thermostat.

Quote:
I also live rural. I leave the house once a week at the most. And yes, I've been to desolate places where the closest real store is 90 to 100 miles away. I was only there for Air Force work and told myself I would never be in that situation. Confession - by rural I mean the closest big store is 8 miles away.
A lot of Americans are in that situation living in truly rural areas. It's one answer to your questioning why people stock up on food. Even my son lives where the closest real grocery store if over 50 miles away. The local general store is way too expensive. They try to only go shopping once every two months because the gasoline to get to the store adds up. Most people who live in his area shop less frequently than that.

Last edited by Hopes; 02-01-2014 at 12:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2014, 11:31 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,277,063 times
Quote:
You can't save hundreds per month anywhere else like you can with food, especially on meat, by turning down the thermostat.
And that is why I wonder if people just eat and/or buy too much?

I probably spend 250 or so a month for the both of us on just food and drinks. I do have 14 domesticated cats and dogs, a bird, and feed about 10 feral cats, so I spend about 7-800 a month on them. This includes bags and bags of carrots, pounds and pound of cheese for treats. If I only had one dog, I would buy a small bag of food. I would not buy a huge bag to save money since it could go bad before he ate it all.

Old 02-01-2014, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
We know what hoarders are...how about "food hoarders"?

People who buy random food, don't eat it, put it in the pantry, and never get rid of it...

I am a small scale food hoarder, I always buy some odd health food product, like Chia seeds, or oat bran, bee pollen, and I never get around to eating it, but I don't throw it away.

My SO was quite a food hoarder, he bought random things at Costco, filled a store room, never ate the food...I cleaned it out last summer, quite a project. ..

Okay, are you a food hoarder? What products are in your cupboards you have had for over three months, and have not touched...
I try to use up the things I buy. For some reason I bought some whipping cream during the holidays. I must have read up on some recipe that required it.

Anyway, it sat in the fridge until it almost reached its expiration date. What could I make? Butter! I put it in a jar and shook it up until it formed a nice chunk.

The leftover liquid, otherwise known as buttermilk, went to the feral cats.

Old 02-01-2014, 11:58 AM

Quote:
And that is why I wonder if people just eat and/or buy too much?

I probably spend 250 or so a month for the both of us on just food and drinks.
You're making a lot of assumptions about people. Since she has six teenagers, she's not eating/buying spending too much. By your $250/2 people standard, food would cost her $1,000/month. She feeds her family of 8 on $600/month. I know this because she's always talking about ways to cut back more on her food budget. She can't cut back $400 elsewhere in her budget because she has her budget as lean as possible.

Old 02-01-2014, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
You're making a lot of assumptions about people. Since she has six teenagers, she's not eating/buying spending too much. By your $250/2 people standard, food would cost her $1,000/month. She feeds her family of 8 on $600/month. I know this because she's always talking about ways to cut back more on her food budget. She can't cut back $400 elsewhere in her budget because she has her budget as lean as possible.
But we were talking about small families - two people - buying too much.

I said that for a large family, stocking up would be the norm. Not so much for a small household.

Old 02-01-2014, 12:15 PM

Quote:
But we were talking about small families - two people - buying too much.

I said that for a large family, stocking up would be the norm. Not so much for a small household.
Your comments were in response to my talking about my girlfriend. If she can save $400/month for 8 people, a two person household can save 40% on groceries doing it her way too. Your $250 would be $150. That's only $100 savings, but $100 means a lot to many American households, even many two person households.

Old 02-01-2014, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Does she buy mostly organic and grass fed beef? If so, no she wouldn't , but if I didn't, I could probably make it on 150 a month for food for the two of us. Her 600 a month is 75 dollars a person, so 150 for the two of us.

And does that include other items besides food. I do not count cleaning products, personal care items etc in that amount.

You said that they eat meat at every meal? Could she cut that by making the meat not the main item, but part of the main dish? When I make a steak, we split it. We don't eat a whole steak each.

Old 02-01-2014, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Your comments were in response to my talking about my girlfriend. If she can save $400/month for 8 people, a two person household can save 40% on groceries doing it her way too. Your $250 would be $150. That's only $100 savings, but $100 means a lot to many American households, even many two person households.
But you didn't mention that she had 6 kids until later down the thread. And at that point we were talking about you and your other half getting a freezer for the two of you.

You just said that when she lost power she would cook up all the food and then refreeze it.

Old 02-01-2014, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Does she buy mostly organic and grass fed beef? If so, no she wouldn't ,
Yes, she does. She buys whole cows from the local organic farms and puts them in her freezer.

Quote:
but if I didn't, I could probably make it on 150 a month for food for the two of us. Her 600 a month is 75 dollars a person, so 150 for the two of us.
Yes, I already did the math for you. That means you would save more than $100 if you didn't buy organic grass fed beef.

Quote:
And does that include other items besides food. I do not count cleaning products, personal care items etc in that amount.
Yes, her $600 includes nonfood items. That means you're spending way more money on food than her. She buys those in bulk too. I saw her toilet paper arrive via UPS. She buys it ever 6 months. It took up her front porch. Buying in bulk does save significant money. It might be a hassle for you, but it's a necessity for people who have tight budgets.

Quote:
You said that they eat meat at every meal? Could she cut that by making the meat not the main item, but part of the main dish? When I make a steak, we split it. We don't eat a whole steak each.
Meat isn't her main item. It's just in almost every meal, except when she uses beans. She's very frugal with her cooking. She's not feeding steaks to the family. That would be crazy. She cuts up steaks and makes meals that require less meat.

Old 02-01-2014, 12:26 PM

Quote:
But you didn't mention that she had 6 kids until later down the thread. And at that point we were talking about you and your other half getting a freezer for the two of you.

You just said that when she lost power she would cook up all the food and then refreeze it.
That's true, but my husband and I are interested in saving money anywhere we can. Buying our meat cheaper is one way for us to do it. I told you we aren't big eaters. That doesn't mean we can't save money by changing our ways. My girlfriend is my inspiration. If she can save money for 8 people, I most certainly can apply that and save money for two, ESPECIALLY since we're not big eaters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink