Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 07:07 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,833,234 times

Advertisements

Thought I'd bring this up for fun. When I was a kid my dad would have us wear a glove on our oyster/crab/fish holding hand when we were shucking oysters/crab/fish, "because you'll get cut" and being kids, some times we did. But even an old hunting glove could deflect a stab or two, usually. I mean, you're using a steak knife, wheedling your blade point into that oyster shell crack or on your 15th crab. Every once in a while, you'd get a slip.

Back to gloves, check these out -
http://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Stee.../dp/B000NNT2EY

I (and everyone that was a cook) used to use those bad boys when I worked at Hardees with the Roast Beef Machine. That thing had a rotating circular blade what could lop your finger off in a 1/4 second if you weren't paying attention. I cut a lot of beef when I was there. (And I gave a lot more beef than I was supposed to, per sandwich, but that's a story for another day. Those portions were just SKIMPY, man.)

Where are these used mainly now? Anyone know? Just curious, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 07:16 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,284,458 times
I remember wearing those when I worked in a convenience store/deli and had to break down and clean the big Hobart slicer years ago. But we used the attached holder/guard when slicing (kinda like the food holder on a mandoline).

I loved that slicer. I still want one.

Old 02-05-2014, 11:17 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
I need steel mesh gloves to get my cat into his carrier.
The vet puts them on to get him back in.

Old 02-05-2014, 03:16 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
years ago i wore a mesh glove as an apprentice butcher

we also had to wear a cutting "saddle" around our waists, so we wouldnt stab ourselves, while boning the sides and quarters

many still wear these mesh gloves today- i recommend them.

you can buy them from "hubert" online,(supply company) or probly even ebay

Old 02-05-2014, 03:18 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
I need steel mesh gloves to get my cat into his carrier.
The vet puts them on to get him back in.
good idea!!
when i had to 'round up my kittens and cats i used a long handled fish net,, that worked very well

Old 02-05-2014, 04:46 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Thought I'd bring this up for fun. When I was a kid my dad would have us wear a glove on our oyster/crab/fish holding hand when we were shucking oysters/crab/fish, "because you'll get cut" and being kids, some times we did. But even an old hunting glove could deflect a stab or two, usually. I mean, you're using a steak knife, wheedling your blade point into that oyster shell crack or on your 15th crab. Every once in a while, you'd get a slip.

Back to gloves, check these out - http://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Stee.../dp/B000NNT2EY
Agreed, for working with a Hobart slicer, steel mesh gloves! At around $100 per glove, however, it's not a typical household item.

But for shucking oysters, Kevlar (think "bulletproof vest") gloves with a rubberized palm are good enough for me, and they have a good grip, and at $10-15 per pair I think they're a good value.

Old 02-05-2014, 05:48 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,161,108 times
I have a friend who is a federally licensed wildlife rehabilitator. She has steel mesh gloves that look very much like that except hers go almost up to the elbow, for handling wild animals that may bite and/or have rabies or anything that can be transmitted by an animal bite or scratch.

Old 10-06-2015, 07:31 AM

1 posts, read 984 times
Default Leather Segmentation

Hi, I Have Recently seen, Here are the gloves I got from SHOWA Best, and it's up to someone else to figure out the type of leather. They are comfortable, inexpensive and work well enough. I have used them for stacking firewood, gardening and racing too. They are well-used They fit well, are tougher than leather and I would think they would dry much faster than Knitted.

Old 10-06-2015, 09:54 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,822,090 times
Thanks for bringing this up, my youngest loves to slice/chop but I am leery as my knives are sharp and big. I am going to buy her some!

Back to the topic, I have seen them in the deli's. There's a big sign that reminds the deli employees to wear their "cut resistant" gloves.

Old 10-12-2015, 02:03 AM

33 posts, read 39,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Thanks for bringing this up, my youngest loves to slice/chop but I am leery as my knives are sharp and big. I am going to buy her some!
Depending on how young you're talking this may be a good idea but I think learning knife skills will serve her better in the long run. Good technique will protect her from cuts and a properly sharp knife is safer because the blade is less likely to slip and won't need to be forced. You won't believe how quickly you can prepare vegetables with proper training.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink