Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 08:16 AM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,397,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Wow! You really are jumping to uninformed conclusions then , aren't you? No one said anyone was "just hungry."

I think I can see why our country is falling into such a sorry state when so many supposedly reasonable people can't simply acknowledge that a little consideration and caring for another human being is not a bad thing. Instead, too many turn it into a finger-pointing judgmental exercise. And then like a dog with a bone, just can't let go and have to keep re-asserting already disproved points.
To the coward who just gave me the anonymous rep comment: you describe yourself. Now go on and try to be a decent human being. Obviously people like you are not going to learn easily that it's not cool to be hard hearted to someone in need.

Old 02-19-2014, 08:40 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Even more so the reason to make sure she had her emergency snacks with her and to let a friend know what she needs.
Maybe it was her first experience with low sugar,
Maybe she had used her sugar supply on a previous event and forgot to replace it
maybe she was new to diabetes and wasnt in the habit of carrying around emergency sugar pills,
Maybe the emergency sugar pills were in another purse.
When you do experience a major low sugar event you generally fall to the floor sweating profusely and are incoherent,you are in the beginning stages of death
As a diabetic of 15 years there are times when for whatever reason i'm not carrying sugar with me..
I think those around her and restaurant staff did a pretty slack job of it.

Last edited by jambo101; 02-19-2014 at 09:18 AM..

Old 02-19-2014, 08:47 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Quote:

I think I can see why our country is falling into such a sorry state when so many supposedly reasonable people can't simply acknowledge that a little consideration and caring for another human being is not a bad thing. Instead, too many turn it into a finger-pointing judgmental exercise.
I can't speculate as to why our country is falling into such a sorry state, nor to whether this thread is filled with posts by reasonable people.

This thread started with a post on how outrageous it as that restaurant employees did not hop to when it was explained that a companion needed some chips and juice as her blood sugar was dropping. When the employees finally did get it organized, they were soundly bawled out for not moving fast enough. Not much consideration there, eh?

The girl with the plummeting blood sugar survive, mercifully. So it all turned okay, sluggish wait staff and all.

Old 02-19-2014, 08:55 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Ooh before I get called heartless again, I do think it would have been nice of the manager to help and since he didn't I would hesitate to go back to eat there. But I wouldn't stay there for 10 minutes getting more and more irate, I would go and take care of her. Show compassion to the girl myself and not wait for a stranger to do the right thing.
Hear. Hear.

Quote:
And good luck to you, if you ever need help and are surrounded by people with some of the negative, judgmental attitudes on display in this thread.
I hope to shout that if I'm ever in such a situation that my dinner companions will come up with a better plan than just bawling out the wait staff.

As has been pointed out several times, this was a serious situation. Instead of her companions blaming total strangers, who presumable were in the midst of a orchestrating a busy dinner hour rush, why didn't they do something?

There is a troubling sense of entitlement that runs through this demand that others drop what they're doing and tend to your concerns this instant.

Old 02-19-2014, 09:16 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,040,258 times
As a server, I've dealt with this before. Usually it's quickest and easiest to just get a piece of bread to someone, though once I did that and her friend yelled at me that bread was a bad idea and that she needed protein. Okay. But I do know this is a common problem and that it's important to fix, and I take that seriously.

In the restaurant's defense, they might not have understood the severity of the situation. Or he/she forgot or the request for food was miscommunicated, which is really unfortunate.

In the future, I do hope this woman keeps snacks in her purse because at the end of the day, hypoglycemic episodes can be serious and its more important to rectify it than to figure out who is "right".

It seems the easiest way to quickly get te blood sugar up is juice: Did you just ask for that at the bar?

Old 02-19-2014, 10:24 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,014,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
There is a troubling sense of entitlement that runs through this demand that others drop what they're doing and tend to your concerns this instant.
If you knew me you would know that I am the opposite of "entitlement" mentality...
I rarely ask for anything of others and go out of my way constantly to do for others..

But a need because of urgent medical issue is not "entitlement" mentality

If you or your loved ones ever find yourself needing a little help I hope there are kind hearted people nearby..

Old 02-19-2014, 11:26 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,409,201 times

Why, all of a sudden, was it the restaurant's responsibility to care for her low blood sugar? They aren't an ER!

Go to WalMart and get those Relion glucose tablets, they come in a tube, cost about $1 for a tube of ~ 10, I always carry them in my purse, car, etc....because I know I sometimes go hypo.....and you can't just assume the whole world knows what diabetic, hypo, low blood sugar, etc, mean.......once I was waiting at the DMV, a lady went "hypo" said she was diabetic, someone brought her a diet coke

Just like my dh carries nitro pills with him, and has a supply at his desk, in the car, etc......guess he should go into a restaurant and declare oh, I'm having angina....do something.....

IMO, the restaurant was taking a big chance even giving her anything, if I were the manager, I would have called 911, let the paramedics figure out WTH was going on and what to do

Old 02-19-2014, 11:46 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,109,941 times
Oh good grief. I think if someone knows they have a medical issue they should be prepared with snacks or whatever, but for whatever reason they weren't. I've worked in a lot of restaurants and in high school I was a hostess at a restaurant that could have a pretty long wait on the weekends. I was approached a few times to get crackers/soda for a person in that same situation, or sometimes even for kids who were hungry/cranky. It took 30 seconds to run over and grab some juice or soda and some crackers or bread for them to munch on. That's called just being a decent human being. No matter how busy you are, you have 30 seconds to do that for someone. A manager shouldn't even have had to be involved. I'm the biggest advocate you'll ever find for personal accountability, but all she needed was some soda and crackers. I don't think that was an unreasonable request.

Old 02-19-2014, 12:56 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,902,551 times
One BIG peeve : When I am at a restaurant, and someone cleans the table with a dirty rag, and smelly solvents, or sprays the stuff at a nearby table, and I can see the spray coming my way in the air. Spraying a small amount directly onto a clean cloth is the right way, and unscented is better. Another peeve : when someone mops the floor with bleach, or any other smelly solvent while patrons are eating. I can see cleaning up a spill, or such, or even sweeping up crumbs, but mopping the whole floor during dining is not a good idea. Bleach fumes and salad are not an epicurean delight. Biggest general peeve : Noisy or unruly kids. News flash parents : not everyone loves the "get" from you loins !

Old 02-19-2014, 01:33 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,577,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
...This situation was not about how much attention/compassion we have a reasonable right to expect of total strangers, including wait staff at a restaurant. It was about the OP's expectation that when she/he snaps her fingers, service industry folks should hop to without a lot of dawdling around...
Really? That's what you got from the original post? Funny, I read it as someone who was outraged that while dealing with an unexpected medical emergency, the only people who could provide immediate assistance instead chose to ignore the request. The entire point wasn't about poor service but rather peoples inability to react appropriately or humanely and help a person in distress.

For all of you acting as if though there's culpability on the side of the original poster, she was just venting because in a scary, tense situation, people who could have helped failed to do so. I suspect her anger and disappointment would have been the same if the same thing had happened in a movie theater, a museum, a retail store or even the street. But let's not be distracted by the point of the post, let's instead blame the victim for being one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink