Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2015, 11:02 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,681,163 times

Advertisements

I regularly make bread for my family, and naturally, I use yeast. I also buy sourdough bread, and I understand what sourdough starter is.

Yesterday I bought a small loaf of "artisan" bread and noticed that the ingredients are: whole wheat flour, water, salt. If I tried to make a round loaf of bread with nothing but flour, water, and salt, it would be a ball of cement. How did they get this bread to rise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2015, 11:14 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,618,086 times
I'm guessing baking powder. I've made a fast pizza dough that did bubble up with AP flour, baking powder, water, salt, and oil. Wasn't too bad for a fast week night meal. Better than take-out.

Just my $.02. Keep the change.

Old 12-24-2015, 11:22 AM

Wouldn't baking powder (or its components) have been in the ingredients list, then?

Old 12-24-2015, 11:47 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,599,205 times
They may have used a "chef" which is similar to a sourdough, being fresh dough that has been kept out from previous batches of bread dough

Old 12-24-2015, 03:26 PM

32,636 posts, read 47,986,069 times
It's made with sourdough starter. I use yeast for my sourdough starter, but you can make it without yeast.

After the starter works, it will make a loaf of bread rise just fine. Original sourdough bread didn't use yeast. Yeast is just used by modern cooks to make the process more certain.

Old 12-24-2015, 03:27 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,217,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I regularly make bread for my family, and naturally, I use yeast. I also buy sourdough bread, and I understand what sourdough starter is.

Yesterday I bought a small loaf of "artisan" bread and noticed that the ingredients are: whole wheat flour, water, salt. If I tried to make a round loaf of bread with nothing but flour, water, and salt, it would be a ball of cement. How did they get this bread to rise?

Check out the book 'Artisan Bread in 5 minutes a day', excellent book with many recipes.

Old 12-24-2015, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
It's made with sourdough starter. I use yeast for my sourdough starter, but you can make it without yeast.

After the starter works, it will make a loaf of bread rise just fine. Original sourdough bread didn't use yeast. Yeast is just used by modern cooks to make the process more certain.
I understand how sourdough starter works. It's also always listed in the ingredient panel, or should be. I currently have a loaf of sourdough bread from Trader Joe's, and it lists "sourdough starter (a natural yeast)" with the ingredients.

The loaf I was referring to is also from Trader Joe's, and it's not called sourdough. It's "Petit Pain Pauline, 100% whole wheat." Ingredients: organic whole wheat flour, filtered water, sea salt.

I haven't tasted it yet. If it has a sourdough like taste, I'll assume it was made with sourdough starter, even though that was not listed. Otherwise...I have no idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Check out the book 'Artisan Bread in 5 minutes a day', excellent book with many recipes.
Thanks. I'd like to try that some time. I looked up four or five similar recipes, and they all contain yeast.

Old 12-24-2015, 05:23 PM

1,914 posts, read 2,242,077 times
You should probably be addressing your question to whoever sold you the bread without any leavening agents shown on the ingredients list. Random people on the internet are only going to be able to speculate as to why there was no leavening agent listed. Whoever made or sold the bread will be more likely to have an actual answer.

Old 12-24-2015, 05:40 PM

I wasn't trying to pose an impossible question. I wondered if there was some yeastless method of making bread I didn't know about. I just did some googling, and read about aerated bread--I wonder if that was how it was done?

Old 12-24-2015, 05:59 PM

66 posts, read 220,206 times
This is my go to recipe for making sourdough starter - just flour and water How to make your own sourdough starter - Flourish - King Arthur Flour
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink