Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 10:46 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,620,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
It's a amazing to read that people like you take a stance on a simple thing. Years ago IKEA used to only serve snacks such as hot dogs and their cinnamon buns then it expanded to a full restaurant service because the customers that spends a full day shopping at their stores needed a place to eat.

It's great that IKEA is expanding their menus beyond just meatballs and even special catering event buffets. Maybe I should be glad that some people stay as far away from IKEA so that the lines at the food court in IKEA could be shorter.
Oh for heavens sake lady, it was just a joke.
Enjoy whatever you enjoy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 10:56 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,829,165 times
I adore their meatballs with lingonberries and those broccoli/cauliflower medallions. If I am there shopping, I do pick up a quick lunch there. I also head to the grocery section and stock up on favorites as well.

Old 02-27-2014, 10:59 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,634,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
I think coffee and books go well together.
Salmon and sofas? Meh.
Many people spend hours and hours in an Ikea and the restaurant helps keep you from hunger. It's not a 5 star restaurant, but it's not McDonald's either. You get decent food for the money.

Old 02-27-2014, 11:12 AM

16,395 posts, read 30,300,419 times
Quote:
Cardiologist would definitely recommends the fish, chicken, and salads on IKEA's menu. No other places I can think of has that many variety of produce.

If you compare Panera bread which does offer occasionally a lobster or shrimp roll or salad. Panera's dishes are not as wholesome.

This Swedish Gravlax with Mustard and Dills is only about $5.

My wife like's the herb crusted tilapia with steamed veggies.

And the shrimp salad that someone mentions are all very healthy dishes.

All three dishes you mention are very high in sodium and the shrimp is high in cholesterol. I doubt if a cardiologist would be recommending them.

The primary purpose of the IKEA restaurant is to extend the amount of time you (and your kids) are willing to spend at their store. On average, it keep people there an additional 25-30 minutes. Notice that you have to walk through a significant portion of the store in order to get to the café.

Old 02-27-2014, 11:14 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,829,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
All three dishes you mention are very high in sodium and the shrimp is high in cholesterol. I doubt if a cardiologist would be recommending them.

The primary purpose of the IKEA restaurant is to extend the amount of time you (and your kids) are willing to spend at their store. On average, it keep people there an additional 25-30 minutes. Notice that you have to walk through a significant portion of the store in order to get to the café.
If you go the long way. There's a direct route from the entrance.

Old 02-27-2014, 11:19 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,653,067 times
The Ikea in my state is far from where I live so I only go there once every few years. I do treat myself when I'm there. I find it is a little heavy with starch and sauces for anyone to eat on a regular basis, but very reasonably priced and tasty and unique for Massachusetts since there are so few places to get Scandinavian food even Americanized.

Old 02-27-2014, 11:20 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,718,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post

If you're taking sodium into acct there is no place outside you can eat other than home cooking. Give me a popular place that serves low sodium, low fat, and low calorie meals.

Besides this is not the health forum.

Old 02-27-2014, 11:30 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,270,399 times
Thanks for the heads up! We will be getting an Ikea in Kansas City sometime in the near future. I never would have thought to go there for dinner - but now I will try it!

We have Nebraska Furniture Mart here too and for some reason I thought they had a restaurant too, although I can't find anything about that now.

Last edited by luzianne; 02-27-2014 at 11:40 AM..

Old 02-27-2014, 11:35 AM

Quote:
If you're taking sodium into acct there is no place outside you can eat other than home cooking. Give me a popular place that serves low sodium, low fat, and low calorie meals.

Besides this is not the health forum.
Ummm....ummm....I'm thinking! Maybe a grocery store salad bar. But you could ONLY eat the veggies - no croutons, no dressing, no meats, no cheeses, no bean salad, no cole slaw, etc. So other than the rabbit buffet, NOTHING! Like I said, it's not a 5 star restaurant, but it serves the purpose and it's a heck of a lot better than McDonald's which isn't even actual food. Seems like those who knock it the most have NEVER been there!

Old 02-27-2014, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Thanks for the heads up! We will be getting an Ikea in Kansas City sometime in the near future. I never would have thought to go there for dinner - but now I will try it!
Make sure to stop and grab some cinnamon buns on your way out. They're just past the checkouts next to the mini grocery store. Soooooo delicious!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink