Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 11:21 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,219,847 times

Advertisements

I was planning to serve only turkey (and all the fixings) for Thanksgiving this year. In the past, when we've had both turkey and ham, I made them both. We used to have double wall ovens, so it was easy to cook them at the same time. We moved this year and now have a single, regular oven; I thought cooking the two would be too much work and unnecessary for the small number of guests we're having.

I wound up with a $5 coupon for Honeybaked and caved, so we're back to having both again.

The instructions say to take it out of the fridge 30 minutes before serving and serve at room temperature. (It also mentions heating could dry it out.) I don't recall ever having "cold" ham before and I'm pretty sure I've had Honeybaked hams at other people's houses.

Do you really serve it at room temperature or do you heat it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2012, 11:32 PM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Just serve it at room temperature. It'll taste great.

Old 11-19-2012, 11:37 PM

Yeah? It sounds so odd to me. It can't get much easier than that though.

Thanks for the reinforcement.

Old 11-19-2012, 11:49 PM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
I just got our ham today. It's part of our family Thanksgiving tradition now.

Honey Baked has a bean soup mix that's absolutely wonderful. The beans come with a seasoning packet, you add celery, onion, garlic, bay leaves, a little salt and pepper, and the bone from the ham.

If I'm having a lot of people for the big dinner, I go on and remove the ham from the bone and make the soup ahead of time. Then after Thanksgiving we have an alternative to turkey or ham sandwiches.

But the Honey Baked ham does taste great at room temp. Makes it real easy to serve.

Old 11-20-2012, 05:52 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyDee View Post
The instructions say to take it out of the fridge 30 minutes before serving and serve at room temperature. (It also mentions heating could dry it out.) I don't recall ever having "cold" ham before and I'm pretty sure I've had Honeybaked hams at other people's houses.

Do you really serve it at room temperature or do you heat it?

When I was in London for Christmas, they served roast pork, ham and lamb. All were served cold.

Ham is fine served cold ... as long as it is not straight from the refrigerator. I would have some condiments - mustard, mayo, etc. - and maybe some bread and rolls.

Honeybaked ham is an excellent product.

Ham can be heated up without drying it out. I would heat it up in a bit of apple cider.

Old 11-20-2012, 06:58 AM

20,927 posts, read 28,397,897 times
My mom always bought a honey baked ham for Christmas eve. She never heated it. It was always served room temperature because it's already cooked.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:03 AM

2,186 posts, read 4,570,934 times
Room temperature is the best, but it is good cold too (later, when you make a sandwich). It will dry out if you try to heat it, and the glaze will melt. Eat a slice for me

Old 11-20-2012, 09:08 AM

1,690 posts, read 2,794,563 times
I am not a fan of cold or room temp ham. We just bought our Honeybaked last weekend because we celebrated Thanksgiving then. I put it in the oven on 300 for about 45 minutes and it was great. The sugar melted down in the slices and tasted great! Not dry at all. Just remember to tent it with foil. Good luck!!

Old 11-20-2012, 09:28 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
Sorry I like my ham hot for dinner. Costco spiral cut hams for me. Plus I save my self about 50 bucks.

Old 11-20-2012, 01:35 PM

Uh oh, some of you do heat it. Now I'm back to square one.

I think what I'll do is make the glaze on the stovetop that I would ordinarily have put on the ham (if I was cooking one), thicken it up a bit, and serve that hot, in a gravy boat. That way we could eat the ham at room temperature, or add the hot glaze over it if we want it a little warmer.

If there is any leftover, I'll heat it and see how it comes out (for next time).

Thanks for all the input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink