Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2014, 06:29 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,953,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Heh it was also in the 70's. I remember the chocolate fudge ones. I went through a phase where I decided I needed to lose weight (a whopping 115 pounds, when I was 5'2" and 15 years old), and mom (who really was overweight - maybe by 30 pounds tops) and I went through like 3 boxes of those things in a week together. Suffice it to say, neither of us lost any weight on that "diet."
lol Neither did the person I knew who was eating them. I remember being a teen and wondering why any sane person who wanted to lose weight would be eating candy. I was all Home Ec-y and learning about nutrition and refusing to eat anything that Mrs. Here'swhatsgoodforya told us was of no nutritional value.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 06:50 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Wow I just re-read my post and it looks like I was saying I needed to lose 115 pounds. I meant to say that I weighed a total of 115 pounds, which is to suggest that I didn't need to lose anything. I just was going through a teenage angst phase.

Old 04-11-2014, 12:54 AM

358 posts, read 512,376 times
Who remembers Jello 123? I used to love that stuff. I loved making it and watching the layers form.

Oh yeah, there was a time when you could buy Eagle Brand ice cream made with sweetened condensed milk. It was great because that is how my parents made vanilla ice cream in the machine and it tasted exactly the same. I only ever saw it that one month back in the late 70's.

It was sort of a weird taste if you expect normal vanilla, so I guess it never sold well.

Space Food Sticks!! I was all about them when I dreamed of being an astronaut. Kind of nasty taste, really, but I didn't care.

Old 04-11-2014, 12:54 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,351,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saintmj nyc View Post
hummmmm barrels ? root beer candy?

Nickel Nips. They were little wax bottles with colored sugar water in them.

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 04-11-2014 at 01:19 AM..

Old 04-11-2014, 01:11 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,351,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
I remember a product called Ayds. It was a caramel candy intended for dieters. The premise was that you ate one (or two) before a meal and you would eat less and lose weight(?). This was back in the '50s.

I remember Ayds from the 70's when I was in high school. Breakfast in those days was a glass of Carnation Instant Breakfast. School lunch was a Tab, a cigarette, and a couple of Ayds before-meal chocolate fudge candies, forget the meal. I gave up the Ayds a couple of years later when I discovered Dexatrim. I had a Nutrition Nellie aunt who fretted whether I ate lunch, even packed me one, but I gave it away or stuffed it in my locker and forgot about it until it smelled. I had an after school job, at a bakery, and usually had a chocolate eclair or brownies for dinner, washed down with a Tab, or sometimes a cheese steak and fries from the sandwich shop a few doors down in the shopping center. When I got home and was asked if I'd had supper, I could truthfully answer yes.

Old 04-11-2014, 02:26 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
Quote:
lol Neither did the person I knew who was eating them. I remember being a teen and wondering why any sane person who wanted to lose weight would be eating candy. I was all Home Ec-y and learning about nutrition and refusing to eat anything that Mrs. Here'swhatsgoodforya told us was of no nutritional value.
They worked if you could restrain yourself to one, with a hot beverage. Unfortunately few of us fatties can just eat one ....... I'd sneak into my Mom's room and find her stash, then eat them by the handful.

Old 04-11-2014, 04:16 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
It's almost impossible to buy a real pork chop now. All the pork sold in stores now has had all the fat engineered out of it making it dry and tasteless.

Old 04-11-2014, 09:48 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,755,652 times
Quote:
I've had those, Luv, but that isn't the one I mean. The ones you mentioned are good, though. Just not what I had in mind. Mine made a single, rectangular layer, about 6" x 9", and even had a frosting package included. Generous for two people, but big enough that four people could each have a small piece of cake. I think I last saw it back in the '60s
Oh yeah, I know they weren't the ones to which you were referring (as they only started making them recently)....I just thought that if you still wanted something like that you could use those.

Old 04-11-2014, 04:57 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbradleyc View Post
Who remembers Jello 123? I used to love that stuff. I loved making it and watching the layers form.
I'd skim off the top layer and give it to my sister; the middle layer was my favorite.

Quote:
Space Food Sticks!! I was all about them when I dreamed of being an astronaut. Kind of nasty taste, really, but I didn't care.
They were such a bad-tasting gimmick; they deserved to fade into oblivion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
It's almost impossible to buy a real pork chop now. All the pork sold in stores now has had all the fat engineered out of it making it dry and tasteless.
Agreed - and I'd hate to be one of those poor chickens with the gigantic breasts. How they could walk upright is beyond me.

Old 04-11-2014, 06:15 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Tang.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink