Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 05:30 AM

603 posts, read 967,328 times

Advertisements

I realize I may splurge a bit to cover ALL the bases, but what are FIVE foods I can eat that will cover most of my Daily Dietary Needs?

I'm thinking:

1) Rye grain
2) Generic 'mixed vegetables (carrots, peas, broc, green beans, corn, califlower)
3) Chicken Breast
4) Beans
5) Big Ol' Bucket of Ice Cream

With these 5 things I should be able to measure the calories simply and dole out my prescribed portion for the day, correct?

For instance,

Lunch Day 1:
1 cup veggies,
1 cup beans&grain,
1 nibble of chicken and
1 nano-speck of icey creamy.

What you think?

I'm 6foot4 and want to be back at 180-190 with "moderate exercise".
I was 176 on the DOT for about 10 years straight, and GD, it was wonderful.

Anyways, TIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 11:11 AM

37 posts, read 166,925 times
It sounds like a good plan for you. I personally prefer to look at portion size instead of counting calories. It is easier that way.

Old 03-23-2012, 04:44 AM

817 posts, read 2,189,331 times
I don't think 5 choices would cover it, but if you try it, wheat would be better than rye and trade that ice cream for some fruit and a couple ounces of cheese a day. Take a good multivitamin and some extra vitamin C too. Even then, you might be lacking some things.

I hate counting everything too, but what I do is use the free software at fitday.com to log everything I eat for a month or two. They have a decent database of food nutritional values, but you can put in custom foods if something you eat isn't listed there. When I have a good variety of menus logged, I copy down the foods, portion sizes and nutritional values and print them out. Then I can just eat from those menus and only have to look up the occasional oddball foods I eat. I can eyeball a 1/2 cup or 1 Tbsp. measure pretty closely for a while, but I find that over time, my eyeballs start to underestimate portion sizes, so it's good to measure again every once in a while.

Oh, and lift some weights. It'll make your bod a fat burning machine!

Old 03-23-2012, 09:59 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,824,977 times
I would eat more than a nibble of chicken. And I would also eat more veggies. Swap out the ice-cream for some nuts or fruit. If you need something creamy have yogurt with some fresh fruit. Drink lots of water.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:16 AM

4,671 posts, read 4,984,341 times
Ground beef, eggs, butter, pasta, and kale would probably be my five. I don't know why the hell anyone would limit himself to five foods, though.

You don't sound like you're all that fat in the first place, so why do you want to eat like a nutcase? You probably know what makes your weight inch up a little bit -- so just cut back on that.

As for the specific foods you list, beans strike me as particularly useless. You already eat grains, vegetables, and a massive amount of sugar (ice cream). Do you really need more carbs? Unless you're a professional athlete, you don't.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:25 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,795,182 times
The op specified SMALL mounts of ice cream, which is -not- massive amounts of sugar. Half a cup of vanilla ice cream has 15 grams of sugar. Half a cup is a full adult-sized scoop. So if she has a small kid-sized scoop, she'll only get around 10 grams of sugar. If she has three of those every week, she won't be breaking the calorie/fat/sugar bank and she'll still get to enjoy her sweet tooth.

Beans and vegetables are healthful foods. Beans especially, are high in protein and fiber, and a variety of nutrients such as iron, vitamin A, and niacin.

On the other hand, your choice of beef, eggs, butter, pasta, and kale, is protein, fat, fat, fat, starch, and iron. good luck with that.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:33 AM

4,671 posts, read 4,984,341 times
He's trying to get all his fat from ice cream, yet plans on eating little of it. He's the one who needs the luck.

Old 03-23-2012, 01:07 PM

3,050 posts, read 4,995,125 times
My favorite is the shelled edamame in the frozen section.

Also, 1% milk gives you a nice carb/protein/fat ration close to 50/30/20.

Old 03-23-2012, 01:49 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,524,009 times
5 foods here you go:

EGGS the only complete protien is a must!!Full complete aminos
Greek Yogurt , your calcium with other minerals
Spinach or Kale , high fiber , green, antioxident, calcium and the best bang for your buck
Walnuts need those trace minerals/ omegas and healthy fat
tomatoes - cant leave out that vitamin c

I think you would be very healthy just eating this!!

Old 03-23-2012, 02:12 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,716,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaceInTheCrowd View Post
I realize I may splurge a bit to cover ALL the bases, but what are FIVE foods I can eat that will cover most of my Daily Dietary Needs?

I'm thinking:

1) Rye grain
2) Generic 'mixed vegetables (carrots, peas, broc, green beans, corn, califlower)
3) Chicken Breast
4) Beans
5) Big Ol' Bucket of Ice Cream

With these 5 things I should be able to measure the calories simply and dole out my prescribed portion for the day, correct?

For instance,

Lunch Day 1:
1 cup veggies,
1 cup beans&grain,
1 nibble of chicken and
1 nano-speck of icey creamy.

What you think?

I'm 6foot4 and want to be back at 180-190 with "moderate exercise".
I was 176 on the DOT for about 10 years straight, and GD, it was wonderful.

Anyways, TIA.
You are suppose to vary your diet for a lot of reasons. If you don't want to think up meal plans and count for yourself but are fine with measuring portions just use this site:

Free Diet Plans at SparkPeople

It has food and exercise guidance for free. It makes you a meal plan for the day based on your personal preferences you check off when filling out your profile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss