Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 11:49 AM

43 posts, read 137,090 times

Advertisements

If you're using any kind of tool like My Fitness Pal, or just looking things up the old fashioned way..what have been some of your biggest surprises in terms of calorie, fat, carb, sugar count? For instance, something you thought was relatively healthy?

For me it was my beloved Applebee's Fiesta Lime Chicken (but! it's chicken!):
Calories: 1,190
Fat grams: 65

Now this dish has a layer of cheese and sauce, so I knew it wasn't *really* healthy, but didn't think it would be THAT bad!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 07:18 PM

280 posts, read 422,239 times
The sugar content in smoothies at Jamba Juice. Sometimes they have more than a regular soda. I just make smoothies at home. I don't count every calorie, I have a rough idea but if I counted each one I would go insane. More power to you, though!

Old 09-02-2013, 04:37 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,893,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan_Davis View Post
The sugar content in smoothies at Jamba Juice. Sometimes they have more than a regular soda. I just make smoothies at home. I don't count every calorie, I have a rough idea but if I counted each one I would go insane. More power to you, though!
Jamba piles on the extra sugar. Most drinks are made of sherbert. They are peddling fruit heavy milkshakes.

If you get a smoothie made with plain yogurt, it isn't too bad. They don't make too many of those, but you can also sub the sherbert for plain, or even vanilla yogurt and cut down lots of the added sugar.

Old 09-02-2013, 04:47 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,397,063 times
Just loaned out my copy of
"Eat This, Not That"

Shocking calorie comparisons and fat grams in various restaurant foods!

I'll get back to you with some soon.

I actually remember that lime chicken dish in there!!

Old 09-02-2013, 06:32 PM

326 posts, read 704,552 times
Aside from calories I am just shocked at all the things I find added sugar - such as Salsa, Yogurt, beef jerky, etc etc

Old 09-02-2013, 08:48 PM

22,665 posts, read 24,614,838 times
I count calories and carbs.

So for me it is the dang SUGAR calories/carbs the are needlessly added to EVERYTHING.

Do they really need to put dextrose and corn syrup in salami?????

Old 09-03-2013, 06:31 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,179,691 times
^
....yeah the sweet stuff is everywhere...even in pickles....corn syrup in Clausens pickles. Really? Why?

@@@

For me the amount of calories in peanuts, cashews, etc....suprised to see how high, considering nuts are supposed to be good for you....a healthier snack food.

And in junk food...a lot of calories packed into a littel bit of food (like Nutty Bars or Potato Skins).....

Old 09-03-2013, 07:30 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,056,113 times
Last year I was getting these little pouches of spicy lentils at Costco - they came in a box of 6 or 8 pouches. I knew the calorie count was around 200 or 220 and I would eat them like chili with avocado, cilantro and lime juice....one day I looked at the label and the fat content was huge and butter was on the list of ingredients. That's why they tasted so good and why the portion was so small. So I gave the rest of the box away. I rarely eat packaged foods like that now - I just make a pot of lentils and add some spices and no fat.

Old 09-03-2013, 10:16 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,893,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
^
....yeah the sweet stuff is everywhere...even in pickles....corn syrup in Clausens pickles. Really? Why?

@@@

For me the amount of calories in peanuts, cashews, etc....suprised to see how high, considering nuts are supposed to be good for you....a healthier snack food.

And in junk food...a lot of calories packed into a littel bit of food (like Nutty Bars or Potato Skins).....
Well, to pickle something you do need acid, salt and sugar. They just cheaped out and used corn syrup.

Old 09-03-2013, 12:01 PM

43 posts, read 137,090 times
This doesn't have to do with calorie content, but I was surprised to see "Brominated Vegetable Oil" on the list of ingredients of Diet Mountain Dew. I had meant to google that to see what the heck it even is, but just decided my best bet was just not to drink it anymore!

I second the comments about extra sugar in everything. Especially yogurt - holy cow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss