Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 05:55 PM

791 posts, read 2,959,774 times

Advertisements

Do any of you count calories to help control your weight?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2008, 05:01 AM

2,482 posts, read 8,734,653 times
No, because it is often more than just calories.

Something might be low in calories but also low in fiber/nutrition and thus about as effective and nourishing as sawdust. On the other hand, there are plenty of other foods that are actually higher in calories/fat but are nutritious and sustaining---like avocado---and are excellent for diets.

Old 01-26-2008, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
No, because it is often more than just calories.

Something might be low in calories but also low in fiber/nutrition and thus about as effective and nourishing as sawdust. On the other hand, there are plenty of other foods that are actually higher in calories/fat but are nutritious and sustaining---like avocado---and are excellent for diets.
I agree with you. That was the problem I had with Weight Watchers, even though it's counting points and not calories I sometime thought that some really healthy foods were given too high of points.

So how do you go about your diet, do you eat "clean" as some say?

Thanks

Old 01-26-2008, 01:02 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,294,055 times
When i used to count calories, I would always start off really well in the morning. Then for lunch..but by the time late afternoon came on, i gave it all up and pigged out. lol
I hate counting calories and measuring things exactly so. The best thing to do instead of count calories is to watch portion sizes.

Totally ignore restaurants idea's of portion sizes. They only work if you are a cow or a horse.

Old 01-26-2008, 01:35 PM

2,482 posts, read 8,734,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhiteblue View Post
I agree with you. That was the problem I had with Weight Watchers, even though it's counting points and not calories I sometime thought that some really healthy foods were given too high of points.

So how do you go about your diet, do you eat "clean" as some say?

Thanks
I don't go about a "diet" at all. The philosophy I subscribe to is I eat whatever I want but in moderation. The only limitation I put on what I eat is that the majority of the food I eat must be made by me. Cookies, cakes, brownies, pizza, alfredo---you name it, I eat that without hesitation but I don't get such foods unless I was the one who made it from scratch. That means no Betty Crocker, no Duncan Hines, all of the sweets and tarts and savories are made the old fashioned way.

Works pretty well for me, actually. I don't have to limit myself to what I eat and I've turned into a pretty decent cook in the process.

Old 01-26-2008, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
I don't go about a "diet" at all. The philosophy I subscribe to is I eat whatever I want but in moderation. The only limitation I put on what I eat is that the majority of the food I eat must be made by me. Cookies, cakes, brownies, pizza, alfredo---you name it, I eat that without hesitation but I don't get such foods unless I was the one who made it from scratch. That means no Betty Crocker, no Duncan Hines, all of the sweets and tarts and savories are made the old fashioned way.

Works pretty well for me, actually. I don't have to limit myself to what I eat and I've turned into a pretty decent cook in the process.
That's a pretty good idea, being I am a horrible baker! my cookie eating would be cut way back
And yes you are right about the "D" word, it should just be about choosing what you want in smaller portions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
When i used to count calories, I would always start off really well in the morning. Then for lunch..but by the time late afternoon came on, i gave it all up and pigged out. lol
I hate counting calories and measuring things exactly so. The best thing to do instead of count calories is to watch portion sizes.

Totally ignore restaurants idea's of portion sizes. They only work if you are a cow or a horse.
I can so relate! I do the same thing, I am good 'till lunch then it's down hill from there - LOL!. I am just struggling with my weight and thought instead of going on another diet that I would just count calories, but deep down I do know that it drives me nuts!
I guess as Nike puts it I need to "Just do it" and stop over planning
The funny thing is I have only really tried WW but I am an avid diet book reader just not doer! I shouldn't say that but let's just say I usually don't last longer than a week until I figure out that it's not my type of diet. I just want a lifestyle I can maintain for my life not a diet that I go off and on.

Old 01-26-2008, 02:34 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,470,416 times
Quote:
Do any of you count calories to help control your weight?
Yes but not in an obsessive way (at least I don't think it's obsessive). If it's a food product that has low cal. (esp. veggies) then I know I can eat 2nds and thirds. Certain foods have higher calories so I either don't eat it or have a smaller portion.

Old 01-26-2008, 04:18 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,294,055 times
Quote:
I can so relate! I do the same thing, I am good 'till lunch then it's down hill from there - LOL!. I am just struggling with my weight and thought instead of going on another diet that I would just count calories, but deep down I do know that it drives me nuts!
I guess as Nike puts it I need to "Just do it" and stop over planning
The funny thing is I have only really tried WW but I am an avid diet book reader just not doer! I shouldn't say that but let's just say I usually don't last longer than a week until I figure out that it's not my type of diet. I just want a lifestyle I can maintain for my life not a diet that I go off and on.
If you want a helpful site that's free, try sparkpeople.com.
I've also read way too many dieting type books and diets just don't work. It's lifestyle changes that do.
I now just go for the smaller portion, drink a lot of water, exercise daily and things are changing for the better. It's just a slow process. Doesn't it seem like we put weight on so much easier than taking it off? It should be the opposite, but no such luck.

Old 01-26-2008, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
If you want a helpful site that's free, try sparkpeople.com.
I've also read way too many dieting type books and diets just don't work. It's lifestyle changes that do.
I now just go for the smaller portion, drink a lot of water, exercise daily and things are changing for the better. It's just a slow process. Doesn't it seem like we put weight on so much easier than taking it off? It should be the opposite, but no such luck.
Isn't that the truth, I think hell why aren't my pants roomier after a week but hey my butt didn't get this big in one week either - LOL
I think my biggest issue is just being consistent and that's what a really need to work on, thanks for making me realize that.

Old 01-27-2008, 10:53 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,346,945 times
I try to watch calories sometimes but that gets to be a pain most of the time.
Portioning for me works a lot better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss