Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 10:52 AM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times

Advertisements

Counting calories keeps me on track. It's when I don't count that I get into trouble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 11:02 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,577,950 times
I swear by counting calories/fat. Check out dietwatch.com. For a small fee you get a really easily navigated food journal and calorie/nutrition counter. Plus there's a place to log your exercise and weight. And if you need to lose, they have several great diet plans to follow. I love that site!

Old 06-03-2008, 03:00 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,025,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhiteblue View Post
Do any of you count calories to help control your weight?
Yes. But within parameters - no processed foods, no white flour or sugar, lots of fruits and vegetables, "clean" protein sources - chicken, lamb, beef, eggs, nuts, some whole grains and limited fats (fats come from the protein sources and some fruits such as avocados), just olive oil or a tiny touch of butter when needed for flavor. I stick to drinking water, coffee in the morning and milk, no juices. The point being a healthy, nutritious and well balanced diet - not "lo-cal" processed garbage full of chemicals that try to taste like fats.

It CAN get a little monotonous during weight loss but is easier for maintenance and there are more flexible options.

Old 06-03-2008, 03:23 PM

3,131 posts, read 11,644,916 times
I started counting calories and being mindful of my portions in mid january. I did really well with things..keeping between 1300 and 1500 calories. I started adding some exercise into the mix at the end of march. by mid may, I was pleased to have lost 17 lbs. Of course, since I was so pleased, I stopped recording my food and tracking the calories and have re-gained 5 of the 17!!!! so, this week, i am back to recording my food and estimating the calories to the best of my ability. and I have discovered that I am one of those people who must weigh myself at least twice a week. If I think about cookies, I gain a pound!!!

Old 06-03-2008, 06:51 PM

559 posts, read 1,394,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
If you want a helpful site that's free, try sparkpeople.com.
I've also read way too many dieting type books and diets just don't work. It's lifestyle changes that do.
I now just go for the smaller portion, drink a lot of water, exercise daily and things are changing for the better. It's just a slow process. Doesn't it seem like we put weight on so much easier than taking it off? It should be the opposite, but no such luck.
I really like the Nutrition Tracker on that site. Counting calories helped me lose about 20 lbs., then I reached a plateau and I realized that I was eating too many carbs and not enough protein. I like how the tracker on sparkpeople calculates calories,carbs, fat, and protein for me.

Old 08-11-2008, 01:51 PM

13,003 posts, read 1,019,483 times
Do any of you keep a food journal? This seems to work because you have to count everything that goes in you mouth. I have taken off 36 lbs this way, but it did take a full year. Good Luck Everyone!

Old 08-11-2008, 01:59 PM

4,589 posts, read 13,162,454 times
To say you have to count calories sounds so......boaring and time consuming. When I first began my regiment I would count calories.....like, hardcore however, now, that it's actually just my lifestyle I don't need to. I know what I can eat to maintain my DCI which is around 1200.

Old 08-11-2008, 02:11 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,823,758 times
I wonder if just keeping a food journal would work? With listing portion sizes but without the counting calories part? It would be so much easier if it would still work...

Old 08-11-2008, 02:26 PM

4,589 posts, read 13,162,454 times
Something that might give you a tremendous insight into your eating habits is keeping a journal including what you ate, portion size, what you were feeling at the time (happy sad tired depressed anxious whatever......) and then time of day. This will show you patterns of unhealthy eating....once you know what your doing wrong it's so easy to fix it.

Old 08-11-2008, 02:33 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,823,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lola8822 View Post
Something that might give you a tremendous insight into your eating habits is keeping a journal including what you ate, portion size, what you were feeling at the time (happy sad tired depressed anxious whatever......) and then time of day. This will show you patterns of unhealthy eating....once you know what your doing wrong it's so easy to fix it.
I would be much more enthusiastic about keeping this type of journal instead of counting anything. Have you lost weight doing this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss