Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2011, 01:03 PM

1,090 posts, read 3,167,634 times

Advertisements

Why are people SO resistant to it? I've tried to look for easier ways out, fad diets, etc. It's all come back to me counting my calories and eating "bad" foods in moderation. You'll learn that when you calorie count you want to save room for a decent dinner, for instance, so you won't blow your lunch on a burger and figure out that a grilled chicken salad goes a long way.

I went from about 200 pounds down to 160 in 3.5 months by keeping my calories around 1,500/day. I was a 5'4 female in my very early twenties when I did this. I DID NOT WORK OUT AT ALL. Not because I was against it, but it just didn't happen for me and it was a particularly rough winter. I was stuck inside a lot.

It takes some discipline, but I have found that lowering my carbs and increasing protein and veggies does a WORLD of wonder in keeping me full and in control. Eventually, you even lose your "sweet tooth"!

With calorie-counting, if you can make it past that 2-3 week period, you are GOLDEN after that. It's the magical marker and your body adjusts and each week becomes noticeably easier. It's falling off and getting back on that is hard and I have realized that almost EVERY time this has happened to me it's tied to some kind of emotional upset, so I am now attempting to address that.

I'm so tired of reading threads about calorie counting being "bad" or "not working" because it's not true at all. I buy a teeny little composition notebook and write everything I eat in it. It's NOT that hard and it's pretty discreet. It only takes about a month, at most, to really start to get an idea of what portions carry what calories and you can guess-timate. There are also about a million and one apps. like calorie count, etc. for phones and whatnot.

My Doc just diagnosed me with PCOS and I am back on the train. I will keep you guys updated. Due to severe depression I ballooned up and I would like to get down to the 130s. I have a while, but I'll give tips along the way! If you would like to share your calorie counting story that would be great as well!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2011, 05:40 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,243,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkybumpkin View Post
My Doc just diagnosed me with PCOS and I am back on the train. I will keep you guys updated. Due to severe depression I ballooned up and I would like to get down to the 130s. I have a while, but I'll give tips along the way! If you would like to share your calorie counting story that would be great as well!
That's the problem with with calorie counting. It tends to turn people into yo-yo dieters. You really have to change the way you eat, not just how much.

Old 06-05-2011, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
That's the problem with with calorie counting. It tends to turn people into yo-yo dieters. You really have to change the way you eat, not just how much.
No, it doesn't turn people into yo-yo dieters. People need to account for their actions and take responsibility. People are generally fat because of excuses. I'm one of them and I've bit the bullet and said it. Counting calories WORKS. You tend to find out that you go a lot further with proteins and veggies once you start. It's all about being sensible. I ate whatever I wanted and if you're counting calories you have no choice but to eat in moderation.

Old 06-05-2011, 11:24 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,280,347 times
I'm glad it worked for you. I'm a 5' 4.5" female who did the same thing plus working out and lost 4 pounds in 3 months. I also have PCOS. Low carb works best for PCOS.

Old 06-06-2011, 04:03 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,057,740 times
Calorie deficits work, but they're a much less and inefficient way to lose weight that tend to be very catabolic in nature.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
I'm glad it worked for you. I'm a 5' 4.5" female who did the same thing plus working out and lost 4 pounds in 3 months. I also have PCOS. Low carb works best for PCOS.
Hi Emerald!

I was literally diagnosed with PCOS this Friday. It came as no big surprise as I have been feeling a little "off" for years now and there are physical symptoms as well. While I still ovulate, here and there, I don't believe my PCOS is classified as being severe. It's an issue and I'm going to be starting the pill come the beginning of my period.

Low carb also worked FANTASTIC for me. I never worked out or anything. I'm not advising that, but just telling people that I'm a big girl and the weight MELTED off me when I cut out as much sugar as possible and stuck to grainy breads and oatmeal if I absolutely needed a carb to give my diet variety. Even then, I hardly consumed that kind of stuff.

Have you ever tried the hcg diet? There is some controversy about it, but it's done wonders for people. I recommend that you research it..or inbox me if you're curious about it. Don't listen to naysayers. Do the research yourself.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Calorie deficits work, but they're a much less and inefficient way to lose weight that tend to be very catabolic in nature.
If that's how you feel, then what other ways do you suggest one loses weight?

Old 06-06-2011, 07:53 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,057,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkybumpkin View Post
If that's how you feel, then what other ways do you suggest one loses weight?
Keto/Carb cycling diets.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:57 AM

57 posts, read 135,666 times
I strongly agree that calorie counting works, but combined with eating healthy. Sure you can eat 1,200 calories worth of chocolate chip cookies , but is it healthy? AS long as I stick to it faithfully I lose.

Also, I have PCOS too, diagnosed last fall, which has been my newest challenge. I have to agree that a lower carb diet is better for us PCOS-ers to manage it.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:10 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,557,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post

Perhaps you didnt read "severe depression". That can effect eating habits. Medications to deal with it can have MAJOR impacts on weight, which do not magically go away when someone gets better and goes off them.

There is no need to yo-yo. Yes, you have to make it a sustainable healthy lifestyle. Thats why I like the WW approach. But I think thats an issue however you do the weight loss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss