Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 10:08 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,996,977 times

Advertisements

Oh, this thread is fun! I remember the candy cigarettes! And I remember when I first heard of whole wheat bread.

We ate salads and fresh vegies every day. And huge quantities of fruit. Our school lunches were disgusting, so we brought lunch from home. Chicken or beef sandwiches from the leftovers of last night's dinner, usually. They sat at room temperature from 6 am until lunch time. It's a wonder we are still alive. Oh! And turkey sandwiches with cranberry sauce for a week, after Thanksgiving .

And yes, one fat kid in the class. It still confuses me, how the girls now that are considered attractive and popular would have been undateable when I was a kid. I am glad they have healthy self esteem, but am worried about their physical health.

I remember when bubble yum and pop rocks first came out . And neighbors who were vegetarians... one time a friend of my dad's was over, and he stayed for dinner, but all he could eat was the salad. My dad (the cook), trying to find something else he could eat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 10:22 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,162,988 times
Oh, candy cigarettes! I loved those! And in the UK, Victory V's were a hard candy containing ether and chloroform, they were super-hot and made your mouth numb. I was addicted to those LOL. The good ingredients were legislated out sometime in the late 1960s.

Old 04-06-2014, 10:39 PM

709 posts, read 955,479 times
I am having fun guessing how old people are based on their posts. I was born in 1960, and I remember most things discussed here. With the exception of good cafeteria food. We were too poor to buy our lunches. We took PB&J, ham or bologna sandwiches to school. But the kids that did buy from the caf, said it was gross.

Old 04-06-2014, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Victory V's were a hard candy containing ether and chloroform
::laughing::

OMG, really!

Remember the rumor that Bubble Yum contained spider eggs? My response: Who cares?

Old 04-06-2014, 10:53 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,162,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
::laughing::

OMG, really!

Remember the rumor that Bubble Yum contained spider eggs? My response: Who cares?
I missed a lot by not growing up in the US, apparently! Not sure I've ever had Bubble Yum. But spider eggs sound tasty.

I do remember buying bubble gum that was wrapped in a waxy paper that had jokes or riddles printed on it.

Old 04-06-2014, 11:01 PM

Quote:
I missed a lot by not growing up in the US, apparently! Not sure I've ever had Bubble Yum. But spider eggs sound tasty.

I do remember buying bubble gum that was wrapped in a waxy paper that had jokes or riddles printed on it.
Yeah, that was the OLD kind. Bubble Yum was the first modern bubble gum -- much bigger and stronger bubbles, and easier to blow. Probably made out of plastic or something .

Speaking of, do y'all remember that iridescent plastic stuff that came in a tube like toothpaste, strong solvent odor, with a straw you could use to blow it up? Last I checked, you can still get that!

ETA: This looks to be a modern version, minus the swirly colors.

Last edited by NilaJones; 04-06-2014 at 11:16 PM..

Old 04-07-2014, 12:58 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,261,956 times
Quote:

That was Bazooka.

Old 04-07-2014, 01:00 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,261,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadejay26 View Post
I am having fun guessing how old people are based on their posts. I was born in 1960, and I remember most things discussed here. With the exception of good cafeteria food. We were too poor to buy our lunches. We took PB&J, ham or bologna sandwiches to school. But the kids that did buy from the caf, said it was gross.
I was born in 1957. We had good school lunches! My mom was a great cook and the school lunches were a lot like her food, because it was made from scratch like hers.

Old 04-07-2014, 01:48 AM

9,471 posts, read 10,808,176 times
Well im not sure I am an "older poster" being in my 40s, maybe a bit middleagish lol. Remember candy cigarettes? yea no way those would be allowed today. All food was cooked with real butter, or fried in lard. Food fried in lard does taste really good. Another thing I miss even though it has nothing to do with health, that is coke in glass bottles. It really did taste much better that way. I bet its been 30 years since you could get it.

Old 04-07-2014, 02:15 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
Yeah, that was the OLD kind. Bubble Yum was the first modern bubble gum -- much bigger and stronger bubbles, and easier to blow. Probably made out of plastic or something .

Speaking of, do y'all remember that iridescent plastic stuff that came in a tube like toothpaste, strong solvent odor, with a straw you could use to blow it up? Last I checked, you can still get that!

ETA: This looks to be a modern version, minus the swirly colors.

wow,,this takes me back..i remember grape bubble yum in 7-8 grade sitting behind a girl that used "gee your hair smells terrific" shampoo that smelled up the room.

yes, i remember that blow up stuff,,,it did have a particular odor,,,that was up their with silly string, couldnt use it in the house..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink