Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 11:01 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,822,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I'd agree that Kadoya is the best of the bunch. But for some reason, when I have it in restaurants, it always tastes better. Maybe because they use so much of it it's fresher? I'll have to notice next time I open a new bottle.

As far as refrigeration goes, I don't. It will keep up to 3 months, easily, possibly longer if it's kept in a cool place. So many of us store our oils and spices near the oven/stove and the nearby heat changes the flavors. Same rules apply to nuts, btw.
I keep mine in a large pantry off to the side of the kitchen. I just smelled it and it was fine. Too much of a hassle to keep it in the fridge and plus I don't think that far ahead. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2017, 08:23 AM

1,374 posts, read 1,775,796 times
Lightbulb Sesame Oil

This is another favorite oil I use in cooking.
What I really want is to know is what y'all prefer.

I assume they have light and dark versions.

Currently I've been using dark which I'll continue using. Also I assume it too is adulterated as olive oil is. So!!

Which brands, which kind and why do you prefer one or the other?

Let's hear the good the bad and the ugly!!!

Thank you in advance! Shh

Old 05-23-2017, 08:45 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
The dark is toasted and unrefined. Light is sometimes refined and sometimes unrefined but not toasted. The refined oil has a higher smoke point but much less flavor. The toasted sesame oil has a lower smoke point, so it's better as a flavoring oil in dressing or sauce than a cooking oil.

Old 05-23-2017, 09:07 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Thank you for that info...I use olive oil or coconut oil for cooking an egg, let's say...
and a few drops of toasted sesame oil for flavor for vegetables...I get mine at the Asian stores...I think they are 100% sesame oil...they taste it!
Love it.
A Korean omelet...drizzle with lime, sprinkle sugar and use toasted sesame...yum!

Old 05-23-2017, 10:05 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,788,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shh1313 View Post
This is another favorite oil I use in cooking.
What I really want is to know is what y'all prefer.

I assume they have light and dark versions.

Currently I've been using dark which I'll continue using. Also I assume it too is adulterated as olive oil is. So!!

Which brands, which kind and why do you prefer one or the other?

Let's hear the good the bad and the ugly!!!

Thank you in advance! Shh
I use different oils for different applications. I always keep coconut, vegetable, canola (my goto for deep frying) and lard for some dough recipes and pan frying. Olive oil for vinaigrette and to lube a pan for certain meats.

I do love sesame oil for Asian cooking and sauces, Teriyaki especially. Definitely brings great flavor with it.

Miss Hepburn: Just guessing you use olive oil because it's healthy?

Did you know that butter and lard are healthier than most pressed oils (except possibly Avocado) especially in the small amount needed to fry eggs?

Old 05-23-2017, 10:49 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
I admit, the one time I purchased black sesame oil I ended up throwing it out. I didn't care for the smoky, musty flavor of it. Maybe a bad brand or bad bottle.

But light or regular sesame oil? There's only one choice for me: kadoya

(I'd like to try the LA tourangelle brand sometime)

Old 05-23-2017, 01:36 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
I use sesame oil a lot mostly for dressing since I love the flavor it adds to dishes. It is especially good with fish. Some folks might not like it because it's very greasy if used of baking but that's the point to make a good pie crust or bread with the oil brushed on.

Old 05-23-2017, 01:36 PM

1,374 posts, read 1,775,796 times
All excellent replies! Thank you!

Anymore favorite brands?

I have a friend who lives in Japan and when I speak with him I'll ask for his recomendations and add to the discussion.

What else besides of frying, and seasoning do you do?

I seasoned my wok the old fashioned kind with it... Works great!

Old 05-23-2017, 01:39 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,505,594 times
I think the toasted (dark) sesame is meant to be used lightly as a finishing sauce or to flavor a milder oil. At least that's how I use it!

I keep mine in the refrigerator as nut oils go rancid quickly.

Old 05-23-2017, 07:52 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Miss Hepburn: Just guessing you use olive oil because it's healthy?
Did you know that butter and lard are healthier than most pressed oils (except possibly Avocado) especially in the small amount needed to fry eggs?
Thank you for caring.
I'm into keto stuff so know about fats pretty much...I love butter and eggs, but often burn the butter!! The oil
is right there, it's so is easy peasy. Even the coconut oil is a hassle always hard.
I just cannot stomach the thought of what lard is...I do mostly organic or grass fed dairy and meats...
no chemicals.
Lard... heebies...would not touch pork that isn't org...even get special expensive bacon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink