Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 02:36 PM

39 posts, read 90,026 times

Advertisements

Walmart is the worst. At least the one at our last town. The older people working there weren't too happy (the college kids were fine... College town), the store doesn't feel relaxing (I like to stroll through the grocery store) and I just don't like super stores. You go in for garlic and you come out without it but 20 other crap. Especially with kids!

Not sure if it's true or not, I've never experienced it but I read unkind things about how WM treats its employees. If true, that'd be a good reason to not shop there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2014, 03:36 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
it's ironic, wal-mart sells more groceries than any other chain in the u.s. it use to be kroger, but i read somewhere that walmart does twice the grocery sales that kroger does

it is what it is... we complain about walmart- i dislike their meat department because all the "fresh" meats are shipped in from thousands of miles away- so i choose not to buy

but in the grocery aisle's they are about the cheapest- not on everything

I dont like the massive store huge parking lots, and long lines

Old 05-14-2014, 03:39 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,648,352 times
Lack of organic and other higher-quality foods and shady labor practices keep me far from Walmart. At least Kroger and Meijer employees have union representation.

Old 05-14-2014, 04:25 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,690,021 times
Walmart for the poor service, dirty stores, warm coolers and customer base (sorry but my local Walmart is pretty ghetto). A close runner up would be a mom and pop IGA near us which had warm meat, leaking ceilings, exorbitant prices and rotten produce...I think they just went out of business.

Old 05-14-2014, 04:33 PM

110 posts, read 140,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
There's a thread on the best grocery store, so what's the worst?

For me its Walmart. The food and produce are fine, but everything else is such a hassle, I'll avoid going there at all costs. Bad carts, crowded parking lot, narrow aisles, uncaring employees. We stopped in over the weekend because DH wanted a cheap watch, and all the beta fish in the pet department had been allowed to die.
Here in SC Food Lion is really bad. Anytime a News Channel does a "return meat" story, seems like Food Lion always puts the meat being returned back on the shelf to sell again. YAY. They never have more than a couple of registers open and their prices are higher on almost everything. Very little help on the floor when shopping.

My favorite is when I asked a worker, who was stocking produce, for a produce (plastic) bag to put a head of lettuce in, he didn't know what I was talking about. Never could find them. Had no idea what people were doing at that location that were buying lots of fruit with nothing to put it in.

Old 05-14-2014, 04:37 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,342,198 times
I don't think there's an over all bad grocery store, but where its located. A Walmart near an affluent/good part of town vs one in the ghetto; where fruit is half eaten on the shelves, strawberries rotting away, shopping charts with only 2 working wheels, etc.

Old 05-14-2014, 04:48 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,816,044 times
As I don't and never have shopped for food at Walmart, I will mention Randall's. The prices are way too high and the selection is dismal. I often find expired products on the shelf. Nevertheless, I still shop there because it is the closest to home and the least crowded. There is an HEB just as close, but it is always packed. I am willing to spend more for convenience.

Old 05-14-2014, 04:51 PM

2,319 posts, read 3,051,605 times
Any store that does not have a very large supply of fresh organic produce (and it better not be prewrapped). I won't shop at stores like that.

Old 05-14-2014, 05:09 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,746,974 times
I wish City-Data started a,,,,,,,,Walmart Bashing ......forum.

Way too many threads started where , I believe, that is the main/only intent of the OP.

Old 05-14-2014, 07:52 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,343,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
it's ironic, wal-mart sells more groceries than any other chain in the u.s. it use to be kroger, but i read somewhere that walmart does twice the grocery sales that kroger does
The only reason this is true is because there are no grocery stores chains that have the amount of stores, spread across the USA, like Walmart does. It's basically the quantity of stores. Plus, they fill the need for a LOT of areas that are spread out, and don't have multiple grocery stores to choose from.

We don't even have a Krogers anywhere nearby where I live, and we have about 5 grocery store chains within 25 miles of my house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink